Brewer Fanatic

The Haudricourt/Olson vs. Johnson/Needles fight this morning...

I don't know if anybody caught that verbal fight on the D-List this morning but a lot of interesting talk came out of it. Bill Johnson who could be one of the most irritating radio heads in Milwaukee started in early about when the drums start beating Ned Yost and that he needs to take the fall. Haudicourt asked if Johnson thought the coaches should be on the hot seat in Colorado, Detroit, and San Diego which didn't sit well with Johnson and Needles because Milwaukee is not those cities. Haudicourt then basically said that Ned Yost would have to be double digits below 500 in August to get bounced before the end of the year.

Good questions asked by Haudicourt and Olson: If the Brewers raddle off a 7-0 homestand does the talk go from firing Ned Yost to do you give Ned Yost an extension. When will the Brewers get above .500? If you fire Ned Yost who do you want to replace him with? What has Ned Yost done wrong in this current skid? Why does there always have to be a sacraficial lamb when a whole group struggle?

At the end, Haudicourt did say that he expected that there will be a whole different look to the pitching staff next week. Later on Olson stated there could be upwards to 4 moves. (Branyan, DiFelice, Weaver, Pena)? Those are my guesses. Bush, Parra, Carlos V, and TGJ to the minors for the time being.

Everyone agreed that the Brewers need to win the next 3 series to not dig to big of a hole.

Thats interesting, generally the D-list hosts support Yost no matter what, sometimes Needles criticizes but Johnson and Olson seem to always support Ned. No matter what, we are not hitting at all and our starting pitching has been less than spectacular. The starting pitchers have had only 2 starts of 2 runs or less since April 20th...those 2 being...Suppan vs Philly gave up 1 run on April 24th and Gallardo vs Marlins gave up 0 runs on April 25th, ironically, we lost both games.

Let's see. Colorado was in World Series in 2007 under Clint Hurdle. Detroit was in World Series under Leyland. Bud Black won 89 games in his first year with Padres.

Did I miss something? Yost is in his 6th year, has never been to the playoffs much less the World Series, and has never won more than 83 games. How does that compare to those 3 teams?

Only Haudricourt can compare Yost to Hurdle, Leyland, and Black. Ned Yost has never won anything. Enough with the media backing this clown up. If he had any track record whatsoever maybe someone could say to give him more time but he has had 6 yrs and he has shown nothing. Time to go before this season completely slips away.

At the end, Haudicourt did say that he expected that there will be a whole different look to the pitching staff next week. Later on Olson stated there could be upwards to 4 moves. (Branyan, DiFelice, Weaver, Pena)? Those are my guesses. Bush, Parra, Carlos V, and TGJ to the minors for the time being.

Everyone agreed that the Brewers need to win the next 3 series to not dig to big of a hole.

I can only see 3 moves the Brewers could make. Unless they bump one of the lefties up from AA, which I think is doubtful, they have to keep 1 of Bush, Parra, and Villy because the only starters from AAA I can see being bumped up are Weaver and DiFelice. And besides those 2 possible moves, the only other person I can see being sent down is Gwynn to get some at bats. They have a few possibilities for bats to bring up, but you'd have to guess it's a lefty to DH against Boston. That leaves Branyan, Nelson, possibly Iribarron, and maybe Gamel from AA. I would almost bet on 3 moves being made. If Parra happens to pitch well tonight, that may be his ticket to stay. Who knows.

I'm guessing Parra and Villanueva each get one more start, then either or both could be replaced by DiFelice and Weaver. The 3rd move could be McClung swapping roles with Bush. Of couse good starts by all of those guys could postpone any move.

I don't see a hitter move. Gwynn isn't the problem and Branyan isn't the solution. They have a team full of guys who are supposed to be able to supply power.

Olson said "upwards to 4 moves," which could also mean three AAA transactions and a possible trade, or 2 AAA's and 2 trades. I didn't hear the broadcast, so maybe he was more specific when he said it.

I know TGJ isn't the problem but as a young player they need to get him some playing time considering he was hurt he hasn't had hardly any. If Russell Branyan is going to be hot it might as well be in Milwaukee considering they need a DH next week in Boston.

It must be nice to listen to some type of intelligent or insightful Brewers conversation. The best the talking heads can come up with in Green Bay is rip on Eric Gagne and Weeks as a leadoff hitter daily. Yep like Gagne is the reason why we can't score runs. The only minor leaguer they could name is Matt LaPorta. They were looking at a month's worth of AA and AAA stats to see "what help was on the way" despite not knowing any of the names or history.

Would a Hurricane Iribarren platoon with Weeks at 2B help spark a little offense?

Will the Brewers org be ok with having no left-handed starting pitchers? Parra is probably the easiest to send down (I'm not sure of the option situation on Villy) and his spot lines up with Difelice, but he's also the only lefty.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Audio archive

I don't listen to the station other than the audio archives, but it seemed to be a reasonable argument made by "Needles", and a fair argument overall -- but the realizaition that managers, especially those with 5+ years, are sometimes dismissed without absolute just cause, just doesn't seem to be realized by Tom and Drew.

Only Haudricourt can compare Yost to Hurdle, Leyland, and Black. Ned Yost has never won anything. Enough with the media backing this clown up. If he had any track record whatsoever maybe someone could say to give him more time but he has had 6 yrs and he has shown nothing. Time to go before this season completely slips away.

Hurdle hadn't won anything in 6 years either, until he was handed a gift last year. He has a career .462 winning percentage. One AB by TGJ may have saved his job. Can be a funny game sometimes.

I'm pretty sure Colorado, Detroit and San Diego were mentioned not because of who the managers were but because of the high expectations coming into the season and the poor starts all three teams have gotten off to.

Russell Branyan 2008 PCL line: 121 PA, .352/.421/.611/1.032, 10 2B, 6 HR

Please spare us the 'Triple-A pitchers suck!' line. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As much as I like the knowledge Olson and Needles bring to any forum I gave up listening to that program probly two years ago because of that other knob.

I check to see if he is missing and then and only then will I listen if there is only two that day.

If Kazaa had a lick of sense he would punt him out of town. Almost as bad as putting up with Screamin. A.

I didn't like the show that Johnson had years ago on the afternoon, but I think he's fine now. I think he's learned to be a better host. What is it about him that irritates others so?

Archived