Brewer Fanatic

Who would you replace Ned with?

jjlong19
It's Billy Castro's time to shine.

For some reason, I'm doubting the bullpen coach for this team is real high on the totem pole right now.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Internally, I'd be okay with Ed Sedar, Kremblas or Don Money. I think the players respect those guys. I say Sedar because Mike Cameron, who is a veteran of a dozen major league seasons with 3 gold gloves, is actually using Sedar's OF alignment card. That says a lot to me that a veteran who knows the league would defer to a coach.

The great Bobby Hughes. He was a catcher, and all catchers make great managers, right?

I'd probably go for someone like Davey Johnson. Bobby Valentine seems to have no real interest in coming back from Japan. Otherwise, I'd give Kremblas a look.

A separate question: He's been the one constant with the team for the last couple of decades, so do you see any way Billy Castro is ever fired? I like Billy but, he seems to be bulletproof.

He's independently wealthy through his wife (Nancy Lopez), so he just retired.

Ray Knight is married to Nancy Lopez

Oh yeah. I'm an idiot. But the point about him being independently wealthy still stands.

I think the answer to this discussion can be found in a previous thread.

My apologies to Logan and his comment in the Silver Lining Thread, but after hearing about the comments from Nedly regarding yesterday's atrocious fielding exhibition, the options explored therein cannot be any worse than what we have now. IMO, he is coming across more and more as out of touch with what's really going on with this team. Something needs to give, and my guess is that it won't be the franchise OF who just got $45M that isn't afraid to call it how it is.

In all seriousness, I'd say Simba would be Option 1 and if he resigns like Yount did when Brenly got fired, then Kremblas should at least get a shot on an interim basis.

Frank Kremblas has an affinity for small-ball style offense, though I think he'd be a better motivator than Yost. I'm not sold an Simmons as a manager.

I don't think Simba would stay around if Ned got fired out of respect for his friend, so it's almost a moot point.

And to clarify, I meant either Simmons or Kremblas - whichever would get the call - on an interim basis; if successful for the remainder of the season, then yes, I'd hire the interim option.

Jeff Cirillo.

I'm only half serious of course, but from watching the post game it's clear the guy gets it. His comment about Defilice was spot on today, just like he has been with his analysis all year. He's gonna make a terrific manager some day.

Maybe it was just me, but when DeFilice was being interviewed he looked extremely nervous, to the point it looked like he was shaking tremendously. Other than that I agree he was very poised with his answers.

What about Kapler as player/manager?

Damn - you got me by 30 minutes! Exactly what I was going to suggest.

Seriously, there aren't really any viable candidates, so I'd be shocked if Yost didn't make it through the whole season.

Frank Kremblas has an affinity for small-ball style offense...
That concerns me about Frank, too. I wonder if he does it because he believes it's a great way to score runs or if he's simply doing it to teach it.

If the motivation is to teach small-ball to minor leaguers so they can pull it off properly when called upon, then I wouldn't be concerned. If he were going to be using it as a front and center strategy at the Major League level, then I'd have problems.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I think that if we want the in game managing to change, we need to change GMs first. I don't think we would get a manager much different than Yost as long as Melvin is doing the hiring.

With that said, I don't feel the difference between managers is great enough to make any difference during the course of a year. I really feel that the only thing you can objectivley determine about managers in a style of managing, not quality of managing. The best you can do is hire a guy who's style you like. I also believe that if we watched every manager as closely as we watch Yost, we would find annoying faults with them as well.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Jeff Cirillo.

I'm only half serious of course, but from watching the post game it's clear the guy gets it. His comment about Defilice was spot on today, just like he has been with his analysis all year. He's gonna make a terrific manager some day.

Nah, Cirillo's gunning for Schroeder's job. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived