Brewer Fanatic

Who would you replace Ned with?

jjlong19
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know how good or what kind of a manger he is but people seem to like him.

Brenly constantly praises small-ball tactics on Cubs broadcasts & talks about all the old baseball 'truths'. I personally want no part if he manages the way he seems to think (which doesn't seem like much of a stretch). In Arizona he had the two best SP in the game, not to mention a pretty darn good roster beyond that when they won the WS on a couple/few fluky basehits. I don't think he's terrible, but if the chance is truly there to upgrade the manager position, I don't want to just settle for a slight improvement (if there'd even be one at all).

I'd love to see Davey Johnson get a shot, but Kremblas would have to try to be worse than Yost.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

As much as I do not like Yost as our manager, I do not think he should be fired for poor X s and Os. I believe the players do not like his style and personality. If we were to make a change we should look to a players manager to inspire the young kids and not demean them into lack of confidence. Frank K is loved by all the players who won with him in the minors and I think they would play better with a positive leader not a stone faced no pesonality guy. Just my thoughts

But the players loved it at first -- he must be a players' manager! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I really haven't seen enough of Showalter managing to feel more than 50-50 on him. Can anyone provide a bit of description of his style?

Showalter is an out and out dictator that the players turn on relatively quickly. He is clearly an old school no nonsense kind of guy but not the type of personality we need. Davey Johnson would be the best guy to get since he is a brilliant handler of young players and specifically young pitchers. I think he would love to manage a team with the kind of talent we have and would get the most out of it. If Davey said no I would hire Kremblas who the young players all love and would give every ounce of effort that they can for.

I find it interesting that both the Yankees and the Diamondbacks won the World Series the season after firing Buck Showalter and replacing him with a laid-back manager.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

In Arizona he had the two best SP in the game, not to mention a pretty darn good roster beyond that when they won the WS on a couple/few fluky basehits.

Brenly destroyed Kim's career. He's not a very good manager

I guess I don't understand some of this logic. Is Yost that bad that he's holding us back from a playoff team and Brenly was bad, but just lucked out? To me those kind of contradict each other (with the logic I laid out and not the posters). To me it's saying the manager can do a lot in Milwaukee, but in other places a bad manager can win.

I personally think changing the manager at this point and time will do next to nothing because most likely it would be a hire from within (within being a current Brewers coach). There should be an official bfan.net list of good managers. Yost isn't telling Weeks to be bad, Fielder to regress offensively and defensively, Hardy to not hit with any power, Hall to strike out, or CV and Parra to give up runs in bunches. If there's a change at this point, it's a change in personality and not a change in "developing" these players.

I like Showalter but he didn't show very good judgment when he let Costanza talk him into changing the Yankee uniforms to cotton.
The equipment manager should have been smart enough to know that cotton would shrink and they should order one size bigger.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I wonder if at some point teams will test manager's knowledge of baseball before hiring them. Do they know the run expectancy table, what is their plan regarding how a bullpen is used, etc. Heck, it would be interesting to have a candidate play Diamond Mind for a couple of seasons and see how they manage.

One name that I haven't seen on here yet is Nick Leyva. The last that I heard was that he was in the Mets farm system. I'm not 100% sold on him, just throwing it out there. I did read that one of the reasons he was gone and Svuem was in was his inability to agree with Yost. If we are looking for a change, maybe he could bring it.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Buck Showalter. We need a no-nonsense guy to instill discipline into these young players. After that, we switch to a laid back coach ala Yankees/Diamonbacks. We need this to get over the hump from pretender to contender.

Buck never even got a full season (took over for Bamberger after Bambi's heart attack in '80, strike shortened 81 and fired part way through 82).
Making it even crazier, Buck actually managed the beginning and the end of the 1980 season. He took over when Bambi had his heart attack, and took over again when Bambi resigned late in the year.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

One name that I haven't seen on here yet is Nick Leyva.... I did read that one of the reasons he was gone and Svuem was in was his inability to agree with Yost.
If disagreeing with Yost is a major qualification to be considered his replacement, then 70% of BF.net is qualified to manage the Brewers, a couple posters might even apply...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If there's a change at this point, it's a change in personality and not a change in "developing" these players.

The players are past developmental stages (save perhaps Parra & YoGa). That was/is Yost's strong suit. It was very valuable for a long part of his tenure, but now it's slipped down in terms of priorities. The notion that we shouldn't change because Yost is our guy doesn't hold water to me. Subpar performance from the manager position isn't something you're tied to because he's been with the team (& been helpful in his role) for a while.

I did not read this thread throught but Jim Tracy was a guy who always interested me. I dont know what others think about him, I dont even know if he is a coach on a team right now.

Didnt Harvey get fired after 87 wins. Granted it was a 5th place finish but 87 wins deserves a contract extension not getting fired.

Yount or Molitor might make a good manager

I dont know if this is tongue and cheek but in all honesty it really makes me sick to my stomach at how many people just can't let go of these two. I dont see any support to why either would make a good manager other than the fact that they both played and are idolized by many Milwaukee fans. I think I would go Kremblas, but I have doubts about it.

Sorry for my other thread, for some reason I completely missed this thread. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Jim Tracy and Grady Little would be numbers two and three, but number one is just to let Ned finish out the season. He has control of the clubhouse; he's just had some bad luck with some of his choices. But this isn't the place for that discussion. Grady Little is forver haunted by the Pedro fiasco, but he was a very good manager. And much like Tracy, he just siffered from "not being able to do the grocery shopping" and being forced to play the wrong guys in LA.

Archived