Brewer Fanatic

Who would you replace Ned with?

jjlong19

it happens fairly often. Jack McKeon took the marlins to a championship, for example.

Since the 1970 season, a manager has been replace mid-season 168 times. 12 of those teams made the playoffs. In the wild card era (1995 on), 39 managers have been replaced mid-season. 3 of those teams made the playoffs (one of those being Tommy Lasorda's last season with the Dodgers). Yes the 2003 Marlins won the World Series after making a mid-season managerial switch, but, again, that's the exception, not the rule.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Frank Kremblas....I want everything associated with the 82 Brewers gone from this organization. Just because you had a good year with a team 26 years ago doesn't mean you are qualified to manage a major league team. I am so sick and tired of running through retreads of that team within this organization. It was 26 years ago......MOVE ON! Let this team build its own idenity and quit celebrating a team that didn't even win the World Series. I am a 30 years old with a child of my own and I don't remember a thing about that team....I was 4. Let the past be the past.

Perfectly said. I to am sick of 1982. It was awesome and the best year in franchise history, but at some point it needs to be let go.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

it happens fairly often. Jack McKeon took the marlins to a championship, for example.

Since the 1970 season, a manager has been replace mid-season 168 times. 12 of those teams made the playoffs. In the wild card era (1995 on), 39 managers have been replaced mid-season. 3 of those teams made the playoffs (one of those being Tommy Lasorda's last season with the Dodgers). Yes the 2003 Marlins won the World Series after making a mid-season managerial switch, but, again, that's the exception, not the rule.

you snipped out a critical phrase in my quote, that the team has to have the players in place that can perform. Most of those teams were bad, and didn't have a chance with any manager. I would think MOST underperforming teams did better after a managerial change, merely because you could expect some movement towards expectations.

I'd take a .550 winning percentage the rest of the way, even if that didn't get the brewers in the playoffs.

I have a horrible suspicion that Sveum would get the position if Ned goes. It makes me want to vomit.

My personal favorite is Kremblas.

On the bright side, he can't be any worse at managing than he is at coaching third base.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

The point I'm trying to make is everyone seems to think firing Yost will be a cure-all that will immediately propel us into a 50-game winning streak and mark the start of our inevitable march to the World Series. It wouldn't be. It would be a sign from management that they are throwing in the towel on the season.

If Yost is fired, expect Sheets, Kapler, Counsell, Cameron, Kendall and just about the entire bullpen to be traded before the end of July.

"Politically" I don't think the Brewers could easily justify promoting Kremblas until the Sounds are at .500 at least.

Take a look at the tear the Sounds have been on -- they've won 8 out of their last 10. I also don't think Kremblas would be hired based on what he's done this year, but based on what he's done in prior years in terms of working with a lot of the players that are currently on the Brewers roster. I think it would be very unique to "call up" the AAA manager during the year. I think Frank would succeed, but it's hard to tell because managing in the minors is different than the bigs (ie developing players, rehab stints, etc).

I have a horrible suspicion that Sveum would get the position if Ned goes. It makes me want to vomit.

My personal favorite is Kremblas.

On the bright side, he can't be any worse at managing than he is at coaching third base.

I have this image of Sveum waving in the relief pitchers from the bullpen to the mound, and them getting hurt at the pitchers mound. So, I think that would be worse.

Does Ted Simmons really have the personality to be manager? Lets remember he had to give up his GM gig due to health issues. Does he really need or want the responsibility of turning around this group of underachievers. I also agree its time to get someone without a connection to the 80s Brewers. Yes those were great times, the greatest in Brewers history but the fans deserve to have a winning team this century. Kremblas would be a solid start if we cant get an experienced winner like Davey Johnson.

I like Davey Johnson a lot. Not sure if he would be interested. I may be wrong but I thought the reason that he was always let go in spite of his success was that he chafed front office management in the places he managed too often.

Rp

I doubt that anyone thinks replacing Ned is a magic cure and a guaranteed playoff berth. But you have to start somewhere. Simmons has never managed at any level, never coached either until this year. Windmill Dale would be horrible. If we have to promote a current guy I'd take Sedar over them. Kremblas would be a good move too. If we want a Davey how about Davey Nelson? Getting him off of FSN might be worth it.

Part of the reason why I'm pessimistic about firing Yost being the answer is because you'd most likely replace him with somebody on his coaching staff. They're presumably on his staff because they have similar philosophies (and Ned has tended to get rid of the guys that didn't agree with his philosophies). Another guy who thinks like Ned is the last thing this team needs. If they do end up giving Ned the axe mid-season, I'd hope it would be someone like Kremblas or another guy who has no affiliation to Ned.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Verified Member

12 out of 168 is 7%, 3 of 39 is about 7.6%. Brewers have made the post season once in, what, 37 years...that's 2.7%. So it looks like they about triple their odds with a manager change http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif.

You have to consider that most of those teams were bottom-feeders with no hope whatsoever of making the postseason. Like the 2002 Brewers, for example. I'd bet that those 12 that did make the playoffs were in situations similar to the Brewers - a team picked by many to go to the playoffs before the season, but underachieved under the manager they started with.

Others have already stated why Kremblas would be a good choice. IMO, it is more difficult to win in the minors, especially in an organization that prioritizes player development over all else. Kremblas has done a great job at both.

12 out of 168 is 7%, 3 of 39 is about 7.6%. Brewers have made the post season once in, what, 37 years...that's 2.7%. So it looks like they about triple their odds with a manager change http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif.

And in that one playoff year, the Brewers did fire the manager after 2 months of sub-.500 play and replaced him with someone that was able to turn the talent at hand into a World Series team. As old as the '82 comparisions are getting, that's one I wouldn't mind seeing replayed.

Does anyone recall what roll Harvey was filling before taking over for Buck?

Yeah Harv was the hitting coach, the team wasn't hitting and he got the promotion http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Buck never even got a full season (took over for Bamberger after Bambi's heart attack in '80, strike shortened 81 and fired part way through 82).

Dalton felt Buck was way too intense and felt a veteran group like the '82 team could benefit from the mellow Harvey. Of course Harvey only lasted on full year himself before we started the Rene Lacheman era.

Mark Belling just threw out an interesting name for a potential Brewers manager: ESPN's Buck Showalter.

He's the former manager of the Yankees, Diamondbacks, and Rangers.

As someone who is personally tired of seeing the Brewers fail to execute with runners in scoring position, and failing to make good decisions in the field and on the basepaths, a no-nonsense Manager like Buck would be very interesting.

Archived