Brewer Fanatic

Who would you replace Ned with?

jjlong19

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you dress the monkey in just a jersey and cap? Or go with the pants, too? Also, this should be one of those monkeys that can do those really fast backflips.

To be honest, I don't know that any of this matters, unless the monkey has ungodly breaking stuff and is a player-manager.

What this team needs (besides more pitching) is confidence. Right now I beleive the hitter have zero confidence in anyone other than Sheets in terms of getting consistant starts. They probably respect Suppan and think that he's going to be OK, too. But otherwise, you'll find more faith at an atheist's convention. Every victory (at least those my dim memory can recall) seems to come at the expense of hanging on for dear life, which further chips away at this team's belief in itself.

I believe Ned needs to go. Making that move is only smart though if you have someone lined up. If mangement has any design on achieving goals, both in terms of baseball and gate, that it set out prior to the season, I think I'd probably go with Kremblas with an interim tag. The idea being not to upset the applecart to much in terms of familiarity, and to bring in a guy most of these players have won with before. I keep Maddux and Castro, dump Sveum and Skaalen. Don't know what the dynamic is with Sedar, but if he's a good fit with the players and not a Ned toady, keep him around.

Otherwise, if management deems probability of (self-defined) success for the season to be low, blow the thing up in terms of caoching staff and go for an outside-the-organization guy to shake things up a bit. Let him pick his own staff and let the chips fall where they may. If they take this route, I'd ant a guy who had minimal prior contact with the organization who would come in with a pretty clean slate in terms of his perception of the player talent level.

There is not one guy listed that people have talked about that interests me at all. Do you really want a guy who doesn't have one game of MLB coaching expierence to come up mid year with a supposed playoff hope coming in? I don't... Maybe after the season but not mid season.

You are not getting Valentine mid year from the Japan league.

You think Ned Yost handles pitching staffs bad? Wait til Grady Little is the manager.

Hargrove? The same guy who quit on his team mid season? The same guy who recently stated that he has no interest in returning the game on a every day basis?

Ted Simmons? He would me the most logical mid season but what has he done so far this year that is different from Yost?

If you want to win this year there is no magic pill to coach this team. Unfortantly we're tied to Ned Yost for better or worse this season.

I notice very few have a serious answer to the question. That's probably because they can't come up with an idea that works. It's just "get rid of Yost" with no real thought whatsoever on who would replace him. Kremblas won't be named; they're not going to disrupt the coaching staffs in the middle of the season on two levels of the organization. There are indications that if Yost leaves, Simmons leaves. Going outside of the organization in the middle of the season doesn't make sense. That leaves who? Maddux? Bil Castro?

I agree that if the Brewers don't make the playoffs this year, Yost should be gone. But replacing a manager in the middle of the season rarely works ('82 is an exception not the rule).

Wouldn't it be out of the norm to get some of these veteran managers to come in mid-season? Isn't it more likely than not that the replacement would be an internal candidate? I don't think Yost has done much this year to deserve being canned, but at some point someone has to take the fall and try to turn it around if this continues. I'd guess that Simmons would replace Ned and the manager position would be evaluated at the end of the year and at that time we may possibly bring in some of the veteran managers mentioned for interviews.

I wonder if Ted Simmons would take the job? Aren't he and Yost good buddies and that why he is on the staff? I don't have a good read on him as far as if he is on the staff to help out his buddy or if he has ambitions to manage someday...

I agree that if the Brewers don't make the playoffs this year, Yost should be gone. But replacing a manager in the middle of the season rarely works ('82 is an exception not the rule).

If the players are in place that can produce, it happens fairly often. Jack McKeon took the marlins to a championship, for example.

Davey Johnson; now there is a guy with a track record that won everywhere he went. Why exactly has he been out of the game so long. He would be a fantastic guy to teach these young guys how to play. It would be a dream to get this guy as manager and depending on his situation I think he would love to have a team with this kind of talent to mold into champions.

Frank Kremblas....I want everything associated with the 82 Brewers gone from this organization. Just because you had a good year with a team 26 years ago doesn't mean you are qualified to manage a major league team. I am so sick and tired of running through retreads of that team within this organization. It was 26 years ago......MOVE ON! Let this team build its own idenity and quit celebrating a team that didn't even win the World Series. I am a 30 years old with a child of my own and I don't remember a thing about that team....I was 4. Let the past be the past.

Would there be a fear that he (Hargrove) would bail again?

As long as we don't trade for Ichiro -- I think he would be OK.

I admittedly don't know where Hargrove's head is at (unlike Ned -- I know where his head is at), but his style/experience would make me a Brewer koolaider again, or at least until they started playing games again.

Archived