Brewer Fanatic

Gamel and Laporta

How much longer are they going to go before being promoted to Nashville? I realize that defense is not exactly a strongpoint for either, but both of them are just mashing the ball. With the way our offense is going in Milwaukee, you never know when we might need them. If by some miracle we are still in the race for the playoffs in septemeber, calling them off for some power off the bench could be a big help. Plus, you never know, if we aren't in it and someone wants Cameron, we could trade him, slide Hart to center, and let the Laporta era in rightfield begin.

The only way I would deal either of these guys is for an arm like Lincecum. Lincecum and Yo for the next few years would be amazing, but are the Giants crazy enough to trade him.

As fro Gamel and LaPorta being moved up I would guess all-star break as well. I would like to see them in AAA at some point, especially LaPorta. I would rather not rush Gamel because of his glove. From what I have read LaPorta has looked decent in the outfield, whereas Gamel is a work in progress. Gamel's value is sky high as a third baseman so I would love to see him take the time to work at that position.

I too would love to Gamel stay at third. Imagine a lineup in 2 years with Gamel, Laporta, Fielder Braun and Hart. But then again, I'd be for a trade for Lincecum as well, and Gamel would make a good centerpiece because its unknown whether he can stay and third and our outfield has prospects galore. I still think Laporta eventually moves to first to replace Prince Fielder. Hopefully Taylor Green continues to hit his way through the system because he would be a good thirdbaseman for our lineup. Even though he lacks power, with all the power listed above, we need some guys who will be able to hit .300 as well.

Someone actually asked Witrado about it in his recent mailbag on jsonline, and this was his reply:

Q: Justin of Fond du Lac - with gallardo out and our rotation in flux would it be out of line trading someone like laporta and gamel to the giants form lincecum the giants are deseperately in need of hitting and our rotation would be dominant next year and very good this year

A: Anthony Witrado - Two things, I doubt the Brewers would trade one of those young hitters and I doubt the Giants would trade a pitcher who they see as their future.

that seems like an awfully simply answer, and quite honestly I don't believe it. The Brewer's system is full of hitting and barren of pitching. If they can acquire a guy like Lincecum, i don't think they'd hesitate. Same with the giants, they are old and need an infusion of young hitters. I dont think they'd completely forget about the idea of trading on of their young pitchers.

Why would the Brewers trade the only left handed power in the organization outside of Fielder? Yes I know Branyan is at AAA and no he doesn't count long term.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Why would the Brewers trade the only left handed power in the organization outside of Fielder? Yes I know Branyan is at AAA and no he doesn't count long term.

there is brad nelson, steven chapman and maybe gindl, so it's a bit of an exagerration, but I wouldn't want to trade gamel either at this point.

Because as of right now they may have only one left handed power hitter, but they have no pitchers. Also, if Gamel can't stick at 3rd base, we don't really have anywhere to put him. I think its a lot easier to develop a lefthanded hitter than it is to develop a pitcher the calibur of Lincecum.

How much longer are they going to go before being promoted to Nashville?
AAA has really become a storage for mediocre MLB players in recent years. Lots of players with MLB experience play there to remain "just a phone call away". Hence, you often see players like Gwynn, Gross, Dillon, Branyan, and Rottino playing in AAA. They aren't really "prospects" anymore - but just not 100% MLB players either.

Lots of prospects spend significant time in AA. I wouldn't worry too much about whether they are in AAA or AA.

Milb.com has LaPorta listed at 6'2 and Gamel listed as 6'0.

I believe when they were both up for the Winter Fan Fest - Gamel was substantially taller than LaPorta. Anyone want to venture their real heights?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd trade Gamel for Lincecum in a heartbeat.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd rather trade Laporta, he can play servicable defense in the corner outfield spots or first base, so we'd be giving up RH power that's MLB ready + whatever for Lincecum. I like that deal much better than Gamel... Nelson, while he's proving he has value, will not hit like Gamel, and while I really like Gindl, he's in WV and just starting to break out, and I wouldn't label him a power prospect as of yet. Hitting at AA and above makes me a believer, below that I'm just intrigued.

Now if it were a 1 for 1 type swap... that I would seriously consider, even for Gamel, but San Fran would be crazy to trade one of the top young MLB pitchers for 1 AA prospect.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would trade Gamel AND LaPorta for Lincecum. Lincecum coming to the Brewers would mean playoffs in 2008.

5 years apiece of two good/great hitters for a few years of Lincecum? That's a bit steep/risky.

I would trade Gamel AND LaPorta for Lincecum. Lincecum coming to the Brewers would mean playoffs in 2008.

I certainly wouldn't. I'd rather trade Prince then trade BOTH of them. Those two are going to have a lot of say about the Brewers being competitive in the future.

Agreed. Mashers are great but pitching and defense wins out. Imagine making this trade, than signing Sheets to an extension. Your top 3 pitchers are Sheets, Yo and Lincecum. You don't need a lot of hitting to win those games and its not like we would be barren in the hitting department either. On top of that, you are a little less concerned about any of the potential fluke like injuries that Sheets has had in his past as you would still have 2 phenomenal starters. Also, come playoff time, very few teams would be able to throw out a staff that could match our top 3.

Shouldn't this be in the trade forum?
Yes... let's keep all the Lincecum talk/proposals in the trade rumors forum and re-focus this discussion on the merits of Gamel and LaPorta. Prognosticating about the Brewers' long-term plan for them is fine, but this isn't really the place for discussing possible trade scenarios. Thanks.

Another classic example of fans overvaluing their teams prospects. I'll take 3 years of Lincecum all day over the uncertainty of Gamel and LaPorta.

And why do we need to be loaded with outfield prospects? We have Braun and Hart in the corners. We can pick up Cameron's option if we need a CF for another year. We have Gwynn as a quality 4th OF. Irabarren could be the next option after that if he improves his defense. We also have 7 draft picks in the first 3 rounds in the meantime to restock.

There is also:

Michael Brantley

Brent Brewer (who will be an OF eventually)

Darren Ford

Lorenzo Cain

Caleb Gindl

Brandon Katin

None of those names seem that exciting right now, but heck, odds are a couple of them will pan out.

Nice... disregarding the previous post, while being condescending at the same time. Well done.

- Plato

- Plato

None of those names seem that exciting right now, but heck, odds are a couple of them will pan out.
That list doesn't have much "prospect" power at all. I would be surprised if more than one ended up an above average outfielder.

Archived