Brewer Fanatic

Bike To Work Week May 11-17

Bikeage77

I posted a bulletin about this last year, and it seemed some took interest, so I'm doing it again. (Last year, I was even late on it a few days)

Anyway, now that gas is about 3.89 a gallon, and it's been beautiful out the past week, time to get out there and make yourself feel good about exercising! Air up your tires and ride to work instead of driving. You'll find that if you work within a 5 mile radius of your home, you can get to work almost as fast as with a car. It takes me about 7-10 minutes longer by bike from the east side to Tosa than with a car.

In doing so, your not only saving a few bucks, but you'll probably find to be proud of yourself after doing it. Who knows you may even decide to ride to work all summer, don't let a little rain scare you either, but I understand if it's pouring http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Community Moderator

this is something that I have wanted to do for a few years now. Unfortunately, there is no way my wife will be biking the 3 miles to work for a week. Not because she's fat and lazy--she's not. But she does sweat very easily. Since we are both teachers, getting sweaty going to school is not that great of an idea. Our elementary school where we work does not have showers or anything for us to clean up in either.

So, short of buying AXE body spray by the gross, it won't be happening for her. (and yes, I know that AXE is for men. Do they make a body spray for women?)

As for me, I could probably do it as I don't sweat much in this dry Arizona heat. But if she's driving anyways, I might as well join her. I get enough exercise as it is and I don't need my good clothes getting all dirty on the way to school either.

I still think this is a great idea, though. Maybe I can make it work. I'll see what I can do.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Last summer I biked to work EVERY day. I didn't have a car and lived in Waukesha for a few months and biked to work in Muskego, which was 13 miles. I got in nice shape that summer. I would bike a total of 26 miles a day. It started getting to me because I feared for my life going down Racine Ave. as I passed National Ave. because the hills were so steep I went about as fast as the cars.

By the way, if you Waukesha County folks every saw a guy biking between April and July last year on Racine Ave. just outside of Waukesha, that would be me.

I've been pretty good about biking the 4 miles to work every day since the weather has come around. On days when I have to wear a suit or can't be all sweaty I just ride in in shorts and t-shirt then change in the bathroom. Purchasing a decent bike was key for me. The ride was so much easier on a decent road bike.

I bike (now) or walk (in the winter) to work pretty much every day. Originally it was by choice and to save money, but after someone totaled our parked car, I pretty much have to. Fortunately, when Summerfest isn't in session it's pretty easy to get to and from work by taking the oak leaf trail.

crazy, you can get to work as fast as you can pedal...but seriously, i'd give yourself maybe 40-45 minutes the first day just to play it safe? it takes me about 23 minutes from the east side to tosa. obviously you have to take stop light traffic into consideration, but you can blow stop lights, just be safe about it and don't put yerself at risk...hope to hear that ya gave it a try!

i work at a bike shop, so i usually just ride up there, change shirts, and always carry deodorant on me and throw some on right after i stash my bike in the basement, i can get away with being a little sweaty and customers respect im riding my bike since i work at a bike shop

Verified Member

It's too far to bike (17 miles) and no great options getting from Muskego to Walkers Point.

How about I work from home all next week? No driving, so it's the same thing.

There are some great bike commuting streets for the South Side. Forest Home is downhill towards downtown and is nice and wide. Back when I worked near Southridge, I could get home (the East Side) in 30-40 minutes by flying down Forest Home.

There are some great bike commuting streets for the South Side. Forest Home is downhill towards downtown and is nice and wide. Back when I worked near Southridge, I could get home (the East Side) in 30-40 minutes by flying down Forest Home.

Where would you go once Forest Home hits Mitchell? I suppose I could make my way over to 6th -- isn't that where the bike trail goes?

I went down Mitchell. It's a little trickier than some other streets as it's narrow and there are often cars parked along the side, but once you cross over the freeway, it gets wider, then either 1st or 2nd St. works for getting downtown.

I've never tried it but it would maybe be worth cutting over 16th street, and then taking Bruce St to avoid Mitchell. I'm all about streets that are either wide, or lighter traffic.

kinda a bump incase anyone missed it. I hope the weather stays nice cuz I gotta ride rain or shine this week. That's not too bad, I give mad props to the fixed gear guys that ride all winter. You can dress for the cold, but the ice is pretty crazy, especially since you rely on skidding.

oh, how i miss the bike.

for those of you talking walker's point biking, i highly recommend second street going to and from downtown. the downfall of second is that the street is in shoddy condition around national, but traffic is minimal and you can ride it (or first) basically from st. paul to south milwaukee.

also, wednesday is bike to the brewers game...people are meeting at the outpost on state street in tosa around 5, and the milwaukee bike federation is going to be leading the way, with free brats and riverwest stein at the park...i can't remember where they are meeting near the east side...you are responsible for your own ticket

.i can't remember where they are meeting near the east side

I believe there is a meeting spot for this event at the corner of 6th and Canal, which is incidentally the way I go when I ride to the game, so I might have some company for once.

do it jamie! most bike shops have used bikes if yer not into the idea of buying a new one (most start around 350), used bikes are around 100, in two tanks of gas youve paid it off, and you get great exercise...3 miles is nothing, that's like 12 minutes tops!!!

Archived