Brewer Fanatic

4/18/07 Pirates (Maholm) @ Brewers (Vargas): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Quote:
That three-error half-inning was brutal; but frankly, the most irritating play for me was watching Nick Leyva wave around Bill Hall. We could see from the terrace level that that had 'out at home' written all over it. The Brewers were fortunate that the run wasn't needed in the end.

I used to hold my breath momentarily whenever a grounder was hit to Rickie at 2B. I pretty much don't have to do that anymore. It's now the same in CF, and I figure that some day I won't have to worry about every ball hit Bill's way. It'll work out.

My thoughts exactly. With nobody out, there was no reason to send Bill Hall home. Everyone in the ballpark could see that Hall was going to be out by a mile.

I am glad Hall did not slide. Remember what happened to J.J. Hardy last season? Luckily that run meant nothing in the end. But an injury would have been costly.

I also find myself feeling nervous when a ball is hit to Bill Hall. Just like with Rickie Weeks, it's going to take some time.

Great post. . . I agreed with everything you said.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
With every Bill Hall flub, I find myself repeating "it'll come, be patient, it'll come, be patient" over and over.

So far, I'm doing a good job of convincing myself!

I was doing the same with Weeks when he first came up(and up until this past year). Billy will get used to it. Remember, he has only been playing there for 2 weeks. now(not counting ST)

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Some quick notes:

I believe sundevil1 made the point earlier in this thread that Hall just needs to slow down. Melvin was on WTMJ this morning and said that Hall still has an infielder's mentality when he gets to a ball, and he needs to take his time since an outfielder doesn't have to make the quick play like Billy was used to at SS or 3B.

Anyone notice that Hall slid into home on Gwynn's bunt single? Two times there was a play at the plate, no slide (I'm including the infamous double steal attempt). No play at the plate, slide. Go figure.

When they were giving updates on Buerhle's no-no on FSN, they first showed a graphic that had his line at 8.1 IP, 8 H, 0 ER. If you are showing a graphic where the point is to illustrate that someone has a no-hitter going, shouldn't you make sure the number of hits in that graphic is correct? Then, after the no-hitter was complete, the put up his final line, and it still said 8 H!!! I know that may seem minor to some, but missing details like that just doesn't make the broadcast look very professional.

Couldn't have expected more from the T-Bow/Coco 8th-9th inning combo. Hope they keep up the exceptional work.

Couldn't have expected more from the T-Bow/Coco 8th-9th inning combo. Hope they keep up the exceptional work.

Agreed -- Tbow seemed a little rattled after Hall misplayed that triple, but then got the next batter out. -- Why was Hall not deeper in the 8th? --

The play that had me confused was that H&R with Fielder. Weeks is hitting the ball well, and not a huge DP candidate, and it seemed we sacrificed 2 outs for no good reason.

Quote:
I am glad Hall did not slide. Remember what happened to J.J. Hardy last season?
That's the first thing that came to my mind last night (sitting in the 19th row behind HP for $21 -- it's good to be in the Brewers' fave 5). Fortunately, Hall protected himself. I'd have loved to see any of the drunken dummies around me go 'full' speed around 3B & crash into the 6'2" 240 lb. catcher!

p.s. -- Miller looked competent, but has almost zero range. There was a play or two where lunged for the ball, and could only lay the tip of his mitt on it. Makes you recognize just how athletic Prince is.

Quote:
I know that may seem minor to some, but missing details like that just doesn't make the broadcast look very professional.
Nope, not minor to me. Minor league by FSN. Somehow, I feel like it's Ann Carrol's fault. Even if it really isn't, it probably still is

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

what's the general opinion of Damian Miller playing at 1B last night?

Mild surprise (that he was at 1B, not that Prince had a night off), and general relief that he didn't get hurt.

Someone here last summer (maybe SoCal?) made a screamingly funny post about Ned's nightmare where both his catchers get hurt and there's no backup. Ned? Ned? Ned? and he wakes up in a cold sweat or something. I believe I saved that text in an email file I have at home, because it entertained me so much.

Anyway, I think of that every time Ned does something "outside the box" (at least outside his box) with the catchers.

Though I believe Bob and Jim were citing Graffanino as the emergency catcher - which I hadn't realized before, and frankly wouldn't have guessed. Not that that would have helped by the time Prince was in for Damian, as by then Craig was also putting the Counsel in Counselnino.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

FWIW, I sat behind 6 scouts last night, and the one immediately in front of me kept pointing out (about Vargas), "See? There's that fastball down & away to righties again"

Claudio, if you're reading, coming inside with your heat may well notch you up some K's

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/glasses.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived