Brewer Fanatic

How long before Jeff Weaver makes a start for the Brewers?

Well what do you think? Target date for Weaver to come up and take a stab at starting for Milwaukee? If Villa and Parra continue to struggle can't imagine Weaver could be worse, maybe we catch some lighting in a bottle? I say we see Weaver by May 26th, if not earlier.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His second start Tuesday was pretty good. At this point he couldn't do any worse than Bush. Or Parra. Or Villanueava.

That is thinking. He can't be any worse then those three have been so why not give him a chance. Maybe he pitches as he did for LA and that year in St. Louis. That would be better then any of other guys (except for Sheets of course).

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

His contract says he can ask for his release if he is not brought up by June (I don't recall the exact date). So if he has another good start they will likely give him a shot up here, otherwise he will likely ask for his release.

Oh yes he could!

I suppose yes it is possible he does worse, but what we have been trotting out there are not getting it done so does it matter? No, might as well try someone new. I still think Villy is better served as a high quality long relief pitcher.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Doesn't his contract also say something about incentives for pitching in the majors? I don't see the point of giving him ML innings with the expectation of him putting up a 5.0 ERA. I'd rather take my chances with the guys we already have. I think they are all clearly better than him, which isn't saying much.

So you let him replace Bush for a couple of starts. The worst that could happen is he gets rocked, we lose those two games and he gets released. Those are 2 games we would have lost anyway with Bush. At best (and yes it's a long shot) he pitches well and if he earns incentives for pitching well the rest of the season, that's fine with me. I wish every player had an incentive based contract.

The worst that could happen is he gets rocked, we lose those two games and he gets released.

No, the worst that could happen is that Weaver gets lucky, pitches well in those two starts and earns a spot in the rotation as a result.

Those are 2 games we would have lost anyway with Bush.

So, because the Brewers only have a 40% chance of winning with Bush, they should pretend it's actually 0%?

Mark Difelice has been outstanding for awhile now, and is far more deserving of an oppurtunity than Weaver.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I guess I don't quite follow you rluzinsk. If Weaver "gets lucky" and pitches well up here in a couple of starts he goes into the rotation. If he then gets shelled we remove him from the rotation at any time. Meanwhile we've won a couple of games we would have lost with Bush.

This is DAVE BUSH we are talking about here, not Brandon Webb. He's given up 24 earned runs in 29 innings. I'm sorry but that doesn't give us a 40% chance of winning. I would gladly take a couple of "lucky" starts by anyone over sending this clown out there again.

And this isn't even really about Jeff Weaver. It's about settling for a guy with a 6.98 ERA as one of our starters.

If you are satisfied with Bush, ok, that's your opinion. I'm not satisfied and I'm willing to try someone else because 6.98 is not acceptable.

Jeff Weaver threw 6 innings in 12 of his 27 starts in 2007.

WHIP: 1.53

BB/9 IP: 2.15

K/9 IP: 4.91

HR/9 IP: 1.41 (admittedly, in Seattle)

ERA: 6.20

Manny Parra has thrown 6 innings in zero of his 6 starts in 2008.

WHIP: 1.99 (1.70 MLB Career)

BB/9 IP: 5.55 (4.81)

K/9 IP: 7.16 (8.0)

HR/9 IP: 0.98 (0.67)

ERA: 5.86 (4.83)

I'm not saying that Jeff Weaver is a cure-all, or even a cure-much, but he's far more likely to reduce the strain on the bullpen that Parra is right now. I think the case for Weaver replacing Dave Bush is almost as good at this point....but a major-league starter just has to be able to give you six innings work, if not more.

Weaver was crap last year no doubt and he might be crap again this year. But I'm sick and tired of hearing how Bush is an "innings eater" and he's "scrappy". It's crappy not scrappy.

Parra is not immune here either. A spot in the rotation is not a season long guarantee.

Last year we had a couple of hot prospects ready to come up and pitch. This year we really don't.

But to me the real white flag is leaving the rotation as it is.

I don't think I would terribly mind seeing Weaver or someone else just to give Parra some time to work some things out in the minors. I know that "work some things out" stuff is thrown around a lot, but with Parra it really seems necessary.

I'll never forget his outing against the Cards earlier this season. At least 3 times he starte the pitch and then stopped. One time there were runners on base and he was called for a balk. He just seemed indecisive about his pitch, like his head just wasn't there.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Put me in the camp that says it might be worth a shot if for no other reason to be able to send someone out there who might get out of the 5th inning. The post-Gallardo rotation is shaping up to cause major issues for the bullpen (which has some issues to begin with.

Mark Difelice has been outstanding for awhile now, and is far more deserving of an oppurtunity than Weaver.

I agree about DiFelice, but he's not on the 40-man roster. I'd imagine they'd look at Weaver first. I don't want to highjack this thread, but does anyone know if DiFelice has an option to be released if he's not on the MLB roster by a certain point? I've heard some rumors in Nashville that he has a deal similar to Weaver.

I'm sorry but that doesn't give us a 40% chance of winning.

I suppose that would be true if you thought that Bush is a true 7.0 ERA pitcher (which would be very silly). But if you really believe that, you should be betting on every one of his starts because Vegas doesn't agree. You'll be rich! Please share some with me for giving you the tip.

I just think it would be worth giving Weaver a few starts and see what he can do. Yes he had a bad year in Seattle last season but he has had some decent years and maybe he can give us more then Villy, Parra and Bush are giving is right now.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Weaver will be pitching next week in Milwaukee. Staff needs a shot in the arm and they might as well give Weaver the next chance. He will be more like Suppan if he is up to snuff, nothing special just eating innings and keep the team into the game and saving bullpen arms.

After a second consecutive pathetic outing by Villanueva, I don't think they have much choice but to try him out. Simply can't have him, Parra, and Bush all out there struggling night after night.

Archived