Brewer Fanatic

Sundance Travel - Looking for Advice

Menotti80

Last month, i was drunk at a brewers game and signed myself and my girlfriend up at Miller Park to win something. I honestly dont remember what it was for, but we both got phone calls last night saying that we won a trip to either Las Vegas or Orlando.

I have heard stories about epople winning stuff in drawings and it's basically completely misleading or a huge rip-off. I expressed my concern to the lady on the phone because i can't believe we both won free trips in the same drawing.

They had me make an appt. to go to Sundance Travel in Brookfield to claim my vacation (airfare + hotel) tomorrow after work. They specifically told me i had to pay NOTHING and that I wouldn't have to bring a penny - no checks, credits cards - nothing.

I researched Sundance travel and saw an article posted that this place is a rip-off and they lure people in there to make high-pressure sales pitches for resorts that cost $10000 or more. The person who wrote the article mentioned that the 3-night stay was only in select hotels, with tons of blackout dates, and no hollidays. This doesn't come as a surprise to me, and I'm sure I could find some time around those dates to get away for 3 days (if it's worth going to this travel agency)

Should I even go to this place to "claim" my prize???

These places are a giant pain in the... "high pressure sales pitch" isn't even accurate - they sit there and badger you until you're ready to burst. Then, when you say no to one package, they start the whole high-pressure sales pitch over again on a lesser package... that cycle goes on and on... you could burn 2-3 hours in there...

(Not specifically Sundance Travel - this is in relation to another, similar company)

If you can put up with the barrage for 2-3 hours, you'll get your free trip... just keep saying no...

My wife won a 3 day trip from some company at a weeding show once. They conviently forgot to mention that we would be responsible for all taxes and airfare which had to be booked through their company, and their airfare was about 30% higher than I could have gotten from Expedia. We didn't even end up using the free vacation because it was getting to be so expensive

They said both airfares and hotel would be covered, so i am assuming i will have to pay the taxes and fees it will still be worthwhile...

i think i am going to go tomorrow and just be strong. there's no way i will get roped into buying anything, (mainly because i dont have any money) but i may snap and walk out of there if they grill me for too long...

There are so many hoops they make you jump through to actually get the trip it turns into more of a burden. There are several steps along the way where you are forced to send in little bits of money to continue the process and then after you do so, its just something else. My girlfriend did this and we were pursuing just out of principal but it just went on and on. I've actually thought of complaining to the organization for allowing them in the stadium because it is such a scam

The girlfriend and I did it as well. "High pressure" doesn't begin to explain the sales tactics.

The best trick is how they make you wait to get your free trip voucher after saying "no" to 3 other people and then when you go into the little room to get it the guy tries to hard sell you one last time.

You'll feel used and a little dirty when you leave the place trust me.

Menotti80,

I filled that same thing out and had the same issue. Went through the whole deal of the "high pressure" sales. Where the happened to rip on my fiance and I because we had "no financial sense" and hope we never go into finance. At this point I pretty much had to carry my fiance out of the place because she happened to graduate weeks before with a degree in finance and accounting. To put it in Brewers terms - they try to sell you a "20 game pack" of vacations. Where you pay for them all and keep them in your pocket until you want to take them. Thye want you to make the decision that day before you leave.

First they sit you in a room and a guy talks to the whole group and shows you pictures of the best and nicest places around the world. Talks to you about how great of a deal this is. How it is the "Sam's Club" of vacations. Makes the analogy of going to the store and buying one Coke for $1.25. Then going to Sam's Club and buying 24 Cokes for $5.99. (Because soda and vacations are so similar). It's almost like a pep-rally trying to get you excited about everything. If you ask stupid questions they will answer them - if you ask something smart or something that shed light on why it is a terrible deal they will say, "You will have a chance to get that questions answered by your sales rep at a later time." They dont want to answer specifics in front of everyone else.

The a team of sales reps jogs in to music and calls of peoples names and they take you to the big cafeteria like room where there are beach balls and pictures on the wall of exotic far off lands. The rep shows you pictures of place and where all the condos they have are. Tell you how great they are. When you ask pointed questions - they dance around them. You just keep saying no and no and no.

Then when you say no to sales person #1 100 times they go and get their manager. He/she comes and sits with you and goes through the whole thign getting a bit pushier. Then once you say no to him about 100 times they ask you to go to the back room with the Head Hancho.

The Big Cheese makes you wait a little (because he is so important) then it's just you and him in his office. His office consists of the real cool desk waterfalls and lava lamps. (This is the time I and he goes on and on and on about how it is a mistake to walk out with just your free vacation. And for us he ripped on two future newly weds who didn't know how to make sound financial decisions. We have a long road ahead of us if we make terrible decisions like this - blah blah blah. (To which my fiance starts firing off about how a split-second financial decision of spending over $2000 is finanical suiside). Then once he/she realizes there is no chance for them to sucker you into anything he picks up a folder with your free vacation.

He says - well here is your free vacation. It's not at one of our nice places. It's at a standard run of the mill hotel. You have to pay the taxes. You must fly out on a Sunday, Monday, or Tueday. So it can't be a weekend trip. You have 12 months to use it.

For us - when I tried to sign up for our trip you had to go online to this site and enter the number on you folder. And jump through hoops. Finally I called and was put on hold about 5 times. Wasted 3-4 hours trying to figure stuff out before I said the heck with it and trashed our folder. It was a good 3 hours in the meeting and another 3-4 trying to figure out how this "free" vacation worked - all for nothing besides a few laughs seeing my fiance (who I've never seen mad and yell at anyone) get furious and yell at a 45 year old man.

Honestly - if you want to go through all that for a stay in Vegas or where ever - I give you my props. But it's not free - and I'd hate to see the place they'd put you up in.

Archived