Brewer Fanatic

Ned's Last Stand: When would it happen?

Very well done, Robin!

yeah your right about the trade, but the point still stands that the Melvin was beat by other teams on the margins. And with Cordero a more astute GM would have resigned Cordero before he hit the market. And if the Brewers "can't afford" Lee at 100 million, we have no chance at resigning Fielder or Braun past their arby years.

Beat on the margins? Are you aware of the reality that if we "afford" to pay Prince, etc. for their $100 mil. + contracts, the rest of the team is going to be David Ecksteins/Adam Kennedys? There are plenty of reasons to criticize Melvin, but I don't think you've hit on one of them. The deal Cordero got is not a good gamble; extending RPs long/long-ish term rarely is.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some questions:

For those who believe the Crew would have to be about 6 games under at the end of May, what do they think the value is in firing Yost? I mean at that point, does anybody really think the Brewers will have a shot at climbing back?

Which is why these 4 games with the Cardinals are so important. If the Brewers sweep or win the series they close the gap. If they lose the series they are in deep trouble and if they're swept, god forbid, the season is really close to over. Which is why I think Yost has these 4 games to do something.

I guess I am going to use the Tom Haudicourt tactic when talking about Ned Yost...What has Ned Yost done wrong during this current skid?

...I just don't see Melvin as being the type of guy who does knee jerk things.

First off, it's about much more than this skid. This skid might be the proverbial "straw that breaks the camels back", but it's really just a microcosm of his entire tenure (which has been notorious for two monumental collapses, inability to overcome any injuries or bad breaks, and horrific performances on the road). While the players under him change, these characteristics have been a constant. There is now 5+ years of Ned's managing to be evaluated. Hardly knee-jerk, if you asked me.

It's hard to compare some of his seasons, though. Really only '07 & '08 have been teams that "should" win. Hard imo to form a fair opinion on fewer than 2 full seasons.

(I think Ned Yost should have been fired last season, fwiw)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

yost will be fired after the sunday may 18 game in boston--monday is an off day.
Nope, still thinking May 19th.

^ ^ ^ Do we have some winners??? ^ ^ ^

Seriously, what do the Brewers have to lose? They are alone in last place. There really isn't much further to sink, is there? Are people afraid of being more in last place?

I'd guess that a 're-eval' will happen after this road trip. If the 'Crew bounces back and ends up 4-5 or 5-4, Ned should be fine (maybe he should be fine, anyway). In fairness, Boston is quite a bit better. Now, if the Pittsburgh and Washington series go south...

Does anyone think it could be Tuesday.

I think maybe by Tuesday the 26th, assuming they continue to lose on this road trip. I really think it will take at least being swept by Pittsburgh or going 3-4 on the rest of the trip for him to be fired.

Don't think it's going to happen tomorrow...if anything, it happens after a losing road swing. Don't think Maddux and Skaalan will leave with him, but I do think Krembles's bags are half way packed and he's just waiting for the call.

So much for our pitching. So much for our health. So much for our hitting (however, I do see our hitting getting better). So much for a consistent fun baseball for the fans to watch day in and day out. So much for...ah, screw it!

Some questions:

For those who believe the Crew would have to be about 6 games under at the end of May, what do they think the value is in firing Yost? I mean at that point, does anybody really think the Brewers will have a shot at climbing back?

It seems to me that if DM is going to fire Yost, he's going to do it because he thinks that's what's needed to preserve the chances at a competitive season (and his own job). If the Brewers are 7 games under, and the Cubs are hot (and the Cubs have been favorites all along), then what's the point of the last ditch effort?

And, if Yost is jettisoned and the Brewers are that far under, will the Brewers trade for starting pitching? Or would that happen in the off-season using nuggets we get from the likely Sheets trade?

Well, we would still have a shot if we are 6 back at the end of May, but I think one value would be the fact that we give Yost's successor some time before next season, even if this season isn't a successful one.

I dont think it will be Kremblas. I believe he is under contract w/ Caracus for this fall. Not that he couldn't get out of it, I'm just saying I dont think Kremblas or Simmons are the answers. Therefore, I will say any firing will come in November.

It won't be the off day (tomorrow). At least I don't think so, anyway. I'd say that a 2-5 swing through Pittsburgh and DC could get him axed on the 27th, before the series with the Braves starts. That would put the team at 22-29.

I think that a more likely out come of this next leg of the trip will be 3-4 or 4-3, though. Which means he'll stick around for a bit longer.

Am I the only person who wakes up and looks forward to reading on BREWERFAN.NET that Ned Yost has been fired. I swear I check back every hour to see if it's happened yet. Also, Brewers Fire Ned Yost is a permanent Google search. We have three starters that are batting under .200. There is some kind of aura in the clubhouse and it is time for a cleansing. My personal choice to fire Ned would have been after the collapse last year. I don't think the Brewers enter the month of June with him at the helm.

Well after two straight wins all is quiet on the "Fire Yost" front. I still would like to see him gone, but we have won two in a row and I have calmed down a bit. If we sweep Pitts today and win 3 in DC I would be very calm. But as soon as another 5 plus game losing streak happens I will probably freak out again.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Maybe Yost "learned to win" on the plane trip to Pittsburgh.

That, or maybe its were playing the Pirates and we are actually hitting. Oh and the fact that Parra and Sheets have pitched two very good games. Lets see how Bush, Suppan and McClung do the next few games.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

OK so he should survive this trip should they pick up 2 wins in the next 5. But the upcoming homestand features 3 pretty good teams. I don't think he could survive a 3-6 or worse homestand. Should they go just 4-5 at home, he would be series to series on the next road trip. This team played terrible in Colorado last year. A repeat could mean a new manager on June 9.

I can't ever root for the Brewers to lose just so Ned can get fired. But if they do win at least 2 or 3 more games on this trip and then have a good homestand he will stick. Unless they go on another 6 game losing streak or more I doubt he gets it this season now. But hey as long as they can keep winning I can deal with Ned. It just seems if they didn't fire him on the off day Monday which seemed to be the perfect time when the heck would they actually give him the axe?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I really don't think they change managers if they still think they have a chance at the playoffs.

They especially won't "bring up" a career AAA manager, and expect him to lead them to the playoffs in his first half-year. I just think Kremblas would be a "give up on 2008" move, and a test to see if Kremblas could be the manager in 2009.

I believe Yost is going to be the Manager for the entire 2008 season. So the way I look at it, no sense loosing sleep over it, or pissing and moaning about it, then putting yourself in a bad mood all summer. Accept that he's the manager this year and move on. The sooner some realize that, the sooner they can stop stressing about it, and just root for the players on the field. That's all we can do as fans.

At least that's the way I'm looking at it.

Well after two straight wins all is quiet on the "Fire Yost" front.

Nah, I've just been busy the past few days http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Two straight wins against a really bad team isn't about to cure this.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Well after two straight wins all is quiet on the "Fire Yost" front.
Nah, I've just been busy the past few days http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Two straight wins against a really bad team isn't about to cure this.

Well, 3 straight losses against a very good team brought the haters out in droves. Most fans are the type of people that I don't like as teammates. They get too excited when winning, and too depressed/upset when losing.

Well, 3 straight losses against a very good team brought the haters out in droves.
Come on now, I think we can agree that the fires were burning long before the Sox sweep.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived