Brewer Fanatic

Ned's Last Stand: When would it happen?

I think in general Yost probably gets to much blame for the team struggling, managers in baseball can only have fairly limited impact on a sport that's so much one on one individual based. With that said, i don't think he's a good manager and it's hard for me to see where the downside would be from replacing him.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1a) Bobby Valentine

1b) Jack McKeon (with Frank Kremblas as bench coach)

2) Frank Kremblas (managed most of the young guys at some point)

3) Phil Garner - bring back the 'stache! (All is forgiven, Phil.)

4) Bob Brenly

Actually before we signed Ned Yost I wanted Bobby Valentine to be the guy we would have signed. To me he was the best option at the time. I wouldn't mind Bob Brenly. The big name manager would be Don Mattingly though I'm not sure it would be the best move since he has no experience as being a manager.

How about Davey Johnson? He had a lot of success and his players loved him. He would be a great fit.

My favorite. In 13 seasons, finished first or second 11 times. Was a winner in all four places he managed. .564 winning percentage, which is better than La Russa. (He's been out since 2000, though, which leads me to believe that his MLB days are done.) After 3 straight fiascoes with rookie managers, I hope the next pick is someone with a track record.

I see a consensus emerging about the BoSox series....

LouisEly wrote:
1a) Bobby Valentine

1b) Jack McKeon (with Frank Kremblas as bench coach)

2) Frank Kremblas (managed most of the young guys at some point)

3) Phil Garner - bring back the 'stache! (All is forgiven, Phil.)

4) Bob Brenly

ADD Mike Hargrove to the list. Career winner, lauded for his leadership ability. He also avoids small ball, which would endear him to Doug Melvin. I think he'd jump at the chance to manage a team this talented.

And by the way, Ned Yost is 75-87 in his last 162 games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

How many people will be suprised if Attanasio or Melvin publicly back Nedly this weekend? I'm predicting it. Something like "the team has struggled to overcome some key injuries, but we have faith Ned can keep them focused and will have them moving in the right direction...." Not only will Ned not be fired soon, but he'll get support from the bosses.

I am the contrarian!

With respect to the Yost hatred that continues to grow on this forum, he doesn't touch Davey Lopes for me. I didn't like Rene Lachemann either.

He's getting pretty close to Lachemann for me. And as bad as Lopes was, Yost can definitely see him on the horizon. I don't think the gap is that wide anymore, imo.

How many people will be suprised if Attanasio or Melvin publicly back Nedly this weekend? I'm predicting it. Something like "the team has struggled to overcome some key injuries, but we have faith Ned can keep them focused and will have them moving in the right direction...." Not only will Ned not be fired soon, but he'll get support from the bosses.

I am the contrarian!

Actually, this wouldn't surprise me one bit. I would make me cringe, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ned Yost will never comes close to Jerry Royster and Davey Lopes for me.
Lopes and Royster managed a terribly untalented team. They were set up to fail, and did. Yost has been set up to succeed, but has failed. Big difference to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Ned Yost will never comes close to Jerry Royster and Davey Lopes for me.

No doubt. Whether you like Ned or not, he doesn't come close to the gross incompetence of those two. Lopes especially was just brutal.

Even the naysayers would have to acknowledge Ned was fairly successful early in his tenure with far less talent. The question now is whether he is the right guy to take us to the next level now that we have talent. Personally, I have no opinion at this point other than DM is the right person to make the call based on what he sees on the field and in the clubhouse. I agree with the consensus, the next 8-10 games will be huge. They are playing for his job. They need to show a pulse or he's gone.

Lopes was incompetent and not a good manager at all. Yes, he had a bad team under his helm, but just the basics of running a baseball team in-game seemed beyond him. Royster I didn't think was quite as bad...but really, the guy was a dead duck in the water from the moment he got the job.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Looks like Yost vs LaRussa with Yost's job in the balance
Ned is going to be pulling out all the stops and it's going to be hilarious to watch.

What about this senario: LaRussa lays down in the series to give the Brewers 3 wins, knowing that will keep an inept manager guiding one of your division foes? TLR is evil enough to pull that off.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I guess I am going to use the Tom Haudicourt tactic when talking about Ned Yost...What has Ned Yost done wrong during this current skid?

Unfortantly Ned Yost is going anywhere unless they are 10 games under .500 come August and even then I don't know if he is a lock to get canned.

What about this senario: LaRussa lays down in the series to give the Brewers 3 wins, knowing that will keep an inept manager guiding one of your division foes? TLR is evil enough to pull that off.

Oooh, Robin19 has a point there, especially the "evil enough to pull that off" part. STL would have ample time to make up any ground lost in the process.

How many people will be suprised if Attanasio or Melvin publicly back Nedly this weekend? I'm predicting it.

This is also plausible (and could coexist with the TLR scheme proposed by Robin19). On the other hand, if Doug begins any Yost-supportive message with the phrase "I'm not motivated...", couldn't it be the kiss of death?

The speculation is interesting. I'd enjoy it more if I weren't craving a Brewers win so.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

They haven't even publically admitted they've talked about replacing the closer and Melvin is all of a sudden going to fire the manager? As much as said about bouncing Yost isn't there a progression that needs to be followed? I just don't see Melvin as being the type of guy who does knee jerk things.

Verified Member
I guess I am going to use the Tom Haudicourt tactic when talking about Ned Yost...What has Ned Yost done wrong during this current skid?

I would then counter with "what has Ned Yost done right during this current skid?"

I don't just mean that in a snarky sort of way either. I know we had this thread at some point last season about the role/impact of a manager. I still don't know how to accurately rate a manager. Right now, I'm mainly rating W/L.

I just got a new uber-laptop that came with Photoshop. It's the first time I've had so I was waiting for a perfect time to use it. I saw the title of this thread and realized this was it.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/2687/yoststandif8.gif

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Some questions:

For those who believe the Crew would have to be about 6 games under at the end of May, what do they think the value is in firing Yost? I mean at that point, does anybody really think the Brewers will have a shot at climbing back?

It seems to me that if DM is going to fire Yost, he's going to do it because he thinks that's what's needed to preserve the chances at a competitive season (and his own job). If the Brewers are 7 games under, and the Cubs are hot (and the Cubs have been favorites all along), then what's the point of the last ditch effort?

And, if Yost is jettisoned and the Brewers are that far under, will the Brewers trade for starting pitching? Or would that happen in the off-season using nuggets we get from the likely Sheets trade?

Archived