Brewer Fanatic

Ned's Last Stand: When would it happen?

There is an awful lot of bad baseball teams out there (and its starting to look like there may be one right here in Milwaukee.).

This is circular logic. If Melvin is a good GM, he shouldn't have built what you deem possibly a 'bad team'.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could also be argued that Yost was good for this team for those first several years, but at the point they're at now, he's not of any further use. He was good for a young team trying to rebuild, but it seems like we're there now and Yost hasn't adapted. I think because of that, Melvin gets a little extra time.

But I agree, if Melvin keeps hanging on to him while the team suffers, the fingers will start getting pointed at Melvin. Melvin may have been good at acquiring talented ballplayers, but that's not his only job.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

This is circular logic. If Melvin is a good GM, he shouldn't have built what you deem possibly a 'bad team'.

I guess I agree with that. However, I am not ready to deem the Brewers bad yet. I do admit it is a possibility though. I have been having doubts about Doug for the last year or so. I'm not quite ready to take the leap yet, but my biggest concern is what appears to be a consistent inability to assemble a playoff claiber pitching staff. It looked like we had it this year, with Sheets and Gallardo at the top, Suppan, Villanueva, and Bush behind them. Beyond that, all off-season aand through ST we heard constantly about all the SP depth. Well, now we need it and Jeff Weavers name is actually coming up. What happened to the depth, and how bad will we be if/when Sheets goes on the DL? I understand Gallardo is a very big loss, and difficulat ir impossible to completely overcome, but the problem is that the other three guys weren't performing very well even before he got hurt. Time will tell, but this year isn't shaping up to be too promising on the pitching front.

Looks like Yost vs LaRussa with Yost's job in the balance
Ned is going to be pulling out all the stops and it's going to be hilarious to watch.

Monday: The Cardinals have already taken two games in the series. It's tied in the top of the 9th with no men on, two outs and Pujols on-deck. Ned elects to have the Cardinals batter hit to "send a message" about a perceived slight and let TLR know that the Brewers are gritty battlers.

When would it happen? Well, I actually think Doug Melvin is a fairly intelligent man. The same goes for Mark Attanasio. And if they're watching this listless display I can't help but think it might just come tonight after the game. The worst knock on a manager is that his team shows no life. And that's what we've been seeing for some time now.

I'm sticking with my Friday morning prediction. If it doesn't happen, I think we'll see more booing at Miller Park this weekend than I've ever heard in my life.Yost is easily the most hated manager in Brewer history.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Verified Member

I honestly have no idea what the answer to the original question is.

The Boston series will be intense though. If whiny Ned doesn't like the creampuff media around here, good luck having the same questions beat to death by reporters who would enjoy his acidic responses. Melvin will get some media requests too. And if they get beat up by the Sawwwwwx, it'll be in a national spotlight. If they were winning, I'd expect to see Mark A. in the stands somewhere, but what'll he do if they're still playing badly?

Maybe Bush will get a start against the Sox.

Formerly AKA Pete

If anything is certain about Brewer management Yost will get fired far after relevancy for the 2008 season. Am I the only one who thinks Melvin should go as well? I feel his staff has done a poor job evaluating talent in our farm system. Melvin has also done a poor job resigning real talent in Milwaukee. How much better of a club would we be right now if we had the veteran presence of Carlos Lee in our lineup, or Fransico Cordero closing out ball games? The only major signing Melvin pulled off is resigning Sheets.

Verified Member
Melvin has also done a poor job resigning real talent in Milwaukee. How much better of a club would we be right now if we had the veteran presence of Carlos Lee in our lineup, or Fransico Cordero closing out ball games? The only major signing Melvin pulled off is resigning Sheets.

a) There was no way the Brewers could have afforded Lee. His current contract is 6 years, $100M.

b) Cordero came over in the Lee trade, so they weren't going to be able to have both on the team.

Verified Member

Plus Lee isn't looking all that great these days, especially for a 100M.

Cordero never gave Melvin a chance to make a counter offer. I can't think of any reason he's not here other than he didn't want to be, which makes me wonder why he didn't.

Formerly AKA Pete

yeah your right about the trade, but the point still stands that the Melvin was beat by other teams on the margins. And with Cordero a more astute GM would have resigned Cordero before he hit the market. And if the Brewers "can't afford" Lee at 100 million, we have no chance at resigning Fielder or Braun past their arby years. The profits in major league baseball have skyrocketed in comparison with salaries. I have a hard time believing the Brewers can't afford market prices for players.

If the Brewers pitching and hitting is still in a funk through the Dodgers series, I don't think Ned will be on the plane to Boston. Ned certainly isn't our biggest problem right now, but he'll be the scapegoat. We're a good team, but everyone seems to be slumping at the same time. Our pitching and hitting will get better, hopefully when Ned is still here. Otherwise people will be claiming that firing Yost made such a difference when in reality there was no way we'd keep playing this bad with or without Yost.

I'd like to know when Ned will take accountability for the team's poor play. It's always someone else's fault. (especially the press and the fans that are to dumb to understand the brilliant moves he makes) What does he have to be cocky about? Last year's implosion? (which he spear-headed with the dumb StL beanball fiasco) Obviously there are worse managers, but he hasn't produced, nor has he given us reason to think that better times are just over the horizon. If this team is still sub .500 June 1, I vote we shoot him out of a cannon.

Agreed. In season you pretty much have to pick from your current staff.

It ain't necessarily so (to quote from Porgy & Bess). Jack McKeon wasn't on the staff in Florida when he was brought in in 2003 (plus, he's free now). IIRC, the Reds brought up their AAA manager a couple years ago (Miley?). Phil Garner wasn't with Houston when they brought him in in 2004.

The only reason teams tend to hire guys on their staff is because most people have jobs in-season (like Jimy Williams, Tony Pena, Mattingly, and other recent managers/candidates). However, if there are good unemployed candidates, there is no reason a team couldn't bring one in. How about Davey Johnson? He had a lot of success and his players loved him. He would be a great fit. Cito Gaston is still around. Larry Dierker is free. Any of them would be worth a shot.

The decision to fire Yost is only half of the equation. The other half is his replacement. Certainly a mid season replacement means someone on the current staff

I don't see many managers that will be available that will have that kind of experience

1a) Bobby Valentine

1b) Jack McKeon (with Frank Kremblas as bench coach)

2) Frank Kremblas (managed most of the young guys at some point)

3) Phil Garner - bring back the 'stache! (All is forgiven, Phil.)

4) Bob Brenly

Four of those five have managed in the World Series this decade. And none of them are employed. Mike Hargrove is unemployed as well, and he managed a team to the World Series 11 years ago.

Yost is easily the most hated manager in Brewer history.

I can think of others that I hate more than Yost. Yost doesn't even crack the top 5 in the most hated managers list. I always hated Phil Garner.

Archived