Brewer Fanatic

Ned's Last Stand: When would it happen?

This thread is not to discuss what you think about Ned Yost. It's not about whether you think he's a good manager. If you think he should continue to reign on the Brewers throne, unchallenged, no matter what, for the next 25 years, you need not respond.

With the team ready to fall into "losing record" category, this is simply a question of, if it's going to happen, when do you think? Is there a certain record the team would need to stoop to this season (ex. 10 games under .500)? Or perhaps a certain end of a home stand or road trip you think the hammer could come down? Maybe you think he will get the whole rest of the season, but get canned if the Brewers fail to finish over .500. I'm interested to know what/when could be the turning point.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i am not a Ned fan believe his course has ran with the Crew. The Way this team has underpreformed so far someone need to be held resonsable maybe a coach will be first to go but Ned would have to believe is on a very short leash.

Let's say they lose Thursday and win Friday. Then, if they lose the next 3 against St. Louis, get swept by the Dodgers, and then get swept in Boston, I think it's over for Ned. That'll put them at 17-27.

I think Mark A. and Melvin wouldn't be willing to pull the trigger and fire Yost until it gets really bad.

I think Ned did an admirable job while here until down the stretch last year. I believe the message is getting stale and a change needs to be made. Even if is just one of our coaches that replaces. It will show that we want to win now.

I think there is nothing to lose if we let him go, and only something to gain by doing it.

To fire Skaalen is ridiculous since he has been with this core for a long time. I hate and have wanted Yost gone for 2 years but I am afraid it doesn't matter. If Yost is fired I would be happy but for what? Nothing. This team is complete garbage right now. Yost irritated me a lot more last year and the year before.

Community Moderator

I could see Skaalen out as early as the next homestand. A few bad offensive performances at home and getting booed by big crowds could be enough...and there will be a lot of booing on the next homestand if they don't wake up soon.

I agree with everyone else about Ned, it's going to take a losing streak of 10+ or 10 games under .500.

The problem with the Yost firing would be that the entire coaching staff would leave as well--maybe Simmons too unless he is appointed the new manager. We'd have to start from scratch.

How many coaches have the Brewers gone through, without changing the manager? Off the top of my head I can think of: Wynegar, Nelson, Dauer, Leyva, Donnelly, Yount. There may be more.

Firing more underlings certainly seems like a futile excersise at this point, while allowing the head honcho to stick around all the while without any results (6 years!)

Verified Member

The turning point will be when Barry Zito shuts the Brewers out this year.

You know this whole losing stretch started right after they traded Gabe Gross.

Firing more underlings certainly seems like a futile excersise at this point, while allowing the head honcho to stick around all the while without any results (6 years!)\

I agree 100% -- Im just saying, some coach will be fired, they will act like that will fix everything... etc.

I think the end of May is the make-or-break point for Yost. I'll say May 27th, since the Brewers will be coming off of a lengthy road trip, in which they start in Boston and finish with the Pirates and Nationals, two teams that on paper they should be able to handle. If they don't, he's gone.

I've called my shot in another thread already. Friday morning. Even though I realize Melvin is ultra conservative and will get fired himself before he realizes to let Yost go.

By the way, Yost is 76-86 is his last 162 games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't think there has to be a rock bottom per se for Yost to get fired. Everyone can see the team is playing tight right now, and the reason for that is Ned Yost. We all know he tightened the screws on the boys last year with team meetings before every series. It obviously hasn't changed this year.

Have you ever listened to his press conferences after the game? They sound like the most painful 15 minutes of your life. How can the players be loose under this guy?

I think they will give him to the end of the month, and if we're more than 3 games under .500 at that time, adios Ned.

Verified Member
How many coaches have the Brewers gone through, without changing the manager? Off the top of my head I can think of: Wynegar, Nelson, Dauer, Leyva, Donnelly, Yount. There may be more.

Firing more underlings certainly seems like a futile excersise at this point, while allowing the head honcho to stick around all the while without any results (6 years!)

To be fair, Yount left on his own and not for performance reasons.

In my opinion, it'd have to be something really, really bad, for DM to do it because firing Ned would basically mean conceding that the season is over and they have nothing to play for. 10 games under at the All-Star Break would be my guess, unless he publicly disgraces the franchise by pulling an Ozzie Guillen or something.

Of course, an Ozzie situation would never happen in Milwaukee because the sports media is too spineless to actually ask a tough question every once and while, but that's a different topic.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived