Brewer Fanatic

Fatigue issues

jaybird2001wi

I have not been to the doctor in a little over a year and I have had a history of thyroid issues (my doctor requests a blood test once a year during my physical to check the levels) which may have something to do with my low energy at times.

But recently, my energy level has been sapped to the point where I can barely stay awake during the day and need two or three Rockstar energy drinks just to keep going or actually be functional. What is more weird is that despite the fact that I can't function during the day, I somehow feel much better late at night even when staying awake for the full day.

Anything unusual about this?

I hope not, because I'm the same way. Things changed recently because I had a nose surgery to help me breathe better so I now sleep better, but I'm still usually much more awake late at night.

I imagine it mostly has to do with lifestyle or lifestyle changes. When I go out drinking some night, I'm usually pretty wide awake at 11 or midnight the next night, even though I'm really tired (and/or hungover) all day.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Verified Member
There's a lot of things that could cause this. It could be as simple as your diet. As I got older I realized more and more how necessary a good healthy diet is for my energy level.

How are you eating? What is your sleep schedule like? Those would be the big questions I'd be asking if I was your doctor. Of course, I'm not an MD.

I'd try to get off the energy drinks. The high amount of sugar (high fructose corn syrup) is not good for you, and addictive as well.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Jaybird, I'm the exact same way. My mother has thyroid problems, but I've never had mine checked. (Probably should.)

My first step to getting more rest is getting a better mattress. Mine sucks.

That, and go to bed at a reasonable hour. I need 10 hours of sleep to feel well rested, and I usually give myself about 6 or 7.

It isn't chronic fatigue syndrome, it's plain and simple exhaustion. JB works ~60 hours over the course of three days then tries to catch up on sleep the other four. That type of uneven and grueling schedule will play absolute havoc with your body, and the exhaustion is his body's way of telling him it needs sleep.

Actually, about three years ago, I was having similar problems...I was sleeping fine and night, though, and eating a relatively good diet. Felt run down constantly during the day, but also at night. Doctor ran a blood test and found I was low on iron, so he prescribed an iron supplement and that took care of it.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

How much fast food do you eat? I feel like crap for about 90 minutes after I eat any of it. I also hit the couch and do nothing.

Actually, I went to the doctor about 18 months ago for a physical. My first one in about 15 years (since I was 20). I found out the reason that I was tired all the time was due to my kidneys. Turns out I had a kidney infection about 10 years ago that I had mistaken for chronic back trouble. I basically lost about 15% function in both kidneys so my body works harder to get rid of unwanted matter (alcohol, excess sodium, etc.). My hangovers last well into the next afternoon.

I was told to cut down on certain foods that contain excess sodium. Fast Food, processed food (basically Oscar Mayer meats), ham, bacon, salted butter, and a whole list of stuff I love. It can be a pain, but I only get fast food maybe once every three weeks. I buy deli meat, which is a ton better than the other stuff anyway. I do drink less than I used to also.

As a FF/Medic I work 24 hour shifts with 48 hours off. We often get broken sleep throughout the course of a shift. I find that for me I am more tired during the day and more alert at night. The hardest part for me is on my days off, I usually will end up sleeping most of the day and be up most of the night. Some peoples body clocks just adjust to irregular schedules and any change in sleep patterns will throw your circadian rhythm off. Ive found that most energy drinks actually wear more out more than actually giving me energy. The best solution ive found is not eating much fast food or drinking alot of soda but eating a semi healthy diet.
Formerly AirShuttle6104

Just got back from the doctor today. Apparently I may have a case of Restless Leg and Muscle Syndrome because at night, I tend to have difficulty finding a relaxation point and can't seem to sit or lay still. The past few weeks, I had to have pillows under my arms in order to be more relaxed. They also took blood from me to check on my thyroid deal and the doctor gave me a prescription for Mirapex (the one on those RLS commercials). I am gonna feel like an old man taking this pill.

Archived