Brewer Fanatic

Who's been to Orlando?

DuWayne Steurer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I won a 3 day trip for 2 to Orlando through my work, and I need to maximize my experience. I'll be flying in thursday morning, and flying out Sunday morning. Don't tell me to go to Disney world (or land, whatever)...that's not happening.

I know there's no way to cram Orlando into a 3 day "vacation", but I want to do as much as possible while we're there. I also want to stay away from any activities that are going to be an "all day" event (like Disney)......I really want to get into as much trouble as I can.

There is no point in going to Orlando if you don't go to any of the parks or golf. I fully second the Islands of Adventure being worth your while. So is the Sea World right on International Dr. Go to Downtown Disney (not a park) and see the Cirque du Soleil performance. You'll be glad you spent the money. Otherwise there might be something at the House of Blues which is next door.

Yeah, there's not much worth doing in the immediate Orlando area that's not connected to the parks or at least their attendant resorts. Downtown Disney is a good suggestion. I'm not a big Islands of Adventure fan personally--it just seems like a Six Flags to me. If you want something a little more laidback and adult at one of the parks, my friends and I used to go on an "Around the World" tour at Epcot, where we'd stop and have an adult beverage at each nation in the World Showcase. It's pricey though: we had season resident passes, so that was cheaper for us, but the drinks/food are not cheap there.

Just slightly further afield, you're surprisingly close to the beach, and Cape Canaveral is right there, too--highly recommended.

I used to go clubbing at the Firestone in downtown Orlando a lot in the 90s; great place but I'd imagine it's gone now.

Verified Member

I'm a huge Disney fan so that would be my first choice. But if it's not your thing, I believe you can get a 1 day park hopper for Universal. You can check out Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and also the City Walk dining/shopping area. All in one day.

I've never done it but there is also Gatorland.

Then there are all of the tourist trap places along International Drive and 192 in Kissimmee. Dinner shows, quirky attractions, etc.

it's Disney, but if you've got money you can try the Richard Petty Experience.

Gatorland

SkyVenture is one of those simulated skydiving places with a wind tunnel

Wet 'n Wild is a big waterpark

orlandojaialai.com

yeah, Kennedy Space Center is 50 miles away, but you could have lunch with an astraunaut.

Daytona Beach is 50 miles away if you're into racing

Mount Dora is a half hour away and doesn't have much, but it does have Florida's only Icelandic pub.

Blue Water Balloons (hot air balloon ride for $175)

Boggy Creek Airboat Rides

i've left out the more-relaxed sort of stuff because you said you wanted "to get in trouble". as crazy as a hot-air balloon ride is, anyway.

Are you a golfer.....take your clubs and hit TPC @ Sawgrass. The remodeling is done and there is open availablity to play the famed course with the island green. Also, if you have money and a lazy day with a spouse, hit Discovery Cove.

The wife and I made a trip to Orlando around Thanksgiving five years ago. We went to three Disney theme parks, but we also did a side trip to Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach. One of the highlights for me was a place in Kissiminee that restored WWII era warplanes. They were working on a B-17 at the time and had a couple of B-25's on the tarmac. Although we didn't do it, there was a place next door that let you fly piston engined trainers in mock dog fights.

I once saw a black prostitute with an eye patch while driving in Orlando. She was walking with another prostitute who had grey hair. I called them the Pirate Call Girl! and the Grannie Girl. Orlando can be a scary place when you get lost. Stick to Disney World dude.

Edit: Language. Sorry.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure throwing a baseball game on the agenda will induce some pretty severe marital stress, so I think that's out of the question. I still go to a fair number of Snappers games, and a few Brewers games a year, so I know the rebuttal would be "we can go to Snappers games whenever we want all summer"....

If I was going to be down there for more than 3 days, I'd for sure make it a point to get there, but as it is, I'm sure we're (we.......haha) are going to be looking at doing stuff we can't do around here.

Archived