Brewer Fanatic

4/20/07 Astros (Albers) @ Brewers (Sheets): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Quote:
The team needs more than 3 reliable RP's, Yost is just trying to find another one.

I understand that, and I agree. And this is exactly why I cannot understand having Capellan in AAA. I know Capellan is not lights out all the time but I sincerely believe that he is the 3rd best relef pitcher in the Brewers organization right now.

Good Lord, without Cordero this team would be strictly a .500 ballclub at best. Wise is only good for an inning every other day. Even Turnbow can look pretty shakey out there.

Right now the bullpen is our achilles heel. Melvin needs to make a couple moves. One is to admit they were wrong and bring up Capellan. The other is to trade an Outfielder for a relief pitcher, I believe

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't fault yost to much for putting in Aquino. One bad bad outing, every pitchers going to have that. But to have such a long leash, that's 100% on yost. He should have pulled him.

I think I'm bad luck.. I'm 2 - 3 at crew games. Haven't seen a win in my last 3.

And on the Capellan subject...no he didn't have a good spring...but was his spring so terrible that it should have meant he doesn't make the big league club? Don't think so. Plenty of people have poor, in some cases very poor springs, and then as soon as the regular season comes tear things apart.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that Capellan pitched well enough last year to have made the big league club regardless of his spring performance...then, if he struggles enough, there's the actual justification for sending him down.

Right now, it could just be a no win situation with Capellan, who was put into a tough spot, maybe unjustly, and certainly didn't just tough it out and prove he deserved to make the club with his antics...on the field is a different story.

Tough situation for all parties involved.

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/Kneejerk_small.jpg

Personally I liked the way Ned Managed the game. Besides not having another option to go to tonight in the pen.

Turnbow can't pitch every 8th inning and after yesterday how many people would have questioned putting him back in. Can't use Coco everyday. Wise is good for one clean inning and then things usually blow up from there. Dessens? No thanks. Shouse v. righties doesn't excite me. Carlos has logged a lot of innings and has shown he can't always find the zone right away. Ned's hands were tied.

For this individual game Ned did alright by me. I like the "do anything to win" attitude by pinch hitting for Jenkins and Mench. Was it the right call to pull Mench, who knows, but I like the attitude. Definitely a different Yost then last year.

Now I question why was Turnbow in yesterday. That would have been a nice spot for Aquino. They have to try to win with those 4 run leads without putting Cordero, Turnbow, or Wise in. Save them for the 1 and 2 run games as much as possible.

How many times did the Brewers have Albers on the ropes and couldn't cash in? Once again a manager gets too much credit for wins and too much blame for losses.

Like others are saying, Ned tied his hands a day in advance by using Turnbow yesterday...

Even for the Ned supporters, which I am 98% of the time, this one pretty much falls on his shoulders...with Aquino right there with him.

Well the good news is, Turnbow and Cordero are most definitely available for tomorrow, so lets go get one.

Aquino + Yost = BAD NIGHTS SLEEP. Kudos to Prince and gang for making the game interesting at the end, the excitement was still there with those left in the stands.

How many more outings would you give Aquino? He has already had one more than I would have given him, but then again I have some pretty snap judgement.

Dare I say it: I'm sitting here wondering if Cecil Cooper would be a better manager than Yost.

Early in the game, either Ueck or JP was talking about how Cooper will be a big league manager someday...and I wondered the odds of his being the next Brewers' manager. Just theoretically, but yeah, it occurred to me. If necessary, it's a move I could get behind.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote:
How many more outings would you give Aquino? He has already had one more than I would have given him, but then again I have some pretty snap judgement.

None. We aren't a .500 team anymore and we shouldn't have losers like Aquino blowing games for us. Send him to Helena and bring up Capellan. Ahhh, that feels better.

Quote:
If necessary, it's a move I could get behind.

If it comes down to Yost leaving, either through being fired or hired somewhere else (hey it could happen! Atlanta maybe? Cox can't last forever...), Cooper would certainly be a logical finalist for the job.

well, last night I wanted Villanueva to finish the game, tonight I wanted a shorter leash on Aquino. Still, I can't imagine Aquino is on this team in a week. We have 3 pitchers for late in games--Tbow, Cordero, and Shouse. Wise hasn't looked especially sharp, Dessens and Villy are long men. Aquino needs to step up as the 4th late inning guy, but he hasn't. I think within a week we'll see Sarfate and perhaps Thatcher or Balfour (dare I say, Stetter?)

Yosted again. Was at the game and when Aquino was brought in my brother and I looked at each other and said "oh boy, here we go."

Terrible decision. At that point you need to worry about getting out of the ninth without a run. The ninth is the ballgame. Put in your best guy. Cordero was obviously available, and should have been in. If you get past the ninth, you have Villanueva and Dessens who can both eat up innings if necessary. To his credit, I thought he managed the bottom half well.

Two years ago it was Botallico, last year it was Turnbow. More of Ned's stubborness with the bullpen costing us games. Aquino should only be on for mop-up duty from now on. But it will probably take another 3 losses for Ned to realize this.

Just got back to the game:

I guess I'd have to give Nedly a "C-" for the game. Bringing in Aquino for Wise was not a very wise decision. Wise was doing so well and really was showing no sign of being roughed up (unless you count that little tap that he almost caught as being "roughed up").

And seriously, Aquino blows chunks. He has all year. Its just he's been bailed out so many times, that his ERA is deceptively better than it should be.

Ned's handling of the bottom of the ninth was great, however. Pinch hitting for Jenkins with Hart, and then for Mench with Gross gave us the best chance (statistically) to get back in it, and it almost worked.

One thing I did notice today is that the Astro's lineup is pretty pathetic. Biggio, Everett, Burke and Ausmus all in the lineup together. They are going to have to have above average pitching if they are going to stay anywhere near the top of the division.

I agree that he did everything right in the bottom of the 9th. He seems to handle the bench well, doesn't overwork his starters and seems to pull them at the right time consistently, but man alive, he doesn't have a clue when it comes to the bullpen.

I don't know if he manages with his gut (probably), but we're past the point where that's acceptable. We're supposed to be good now.

And Maddux isn't exempted from blame on that either.

"We did not lose that game because of Greg Aquino," Brewers catcher Johnny Estrada insisted after his team's heartbreaking, 6-5 loss to the Astros on Friday night at sold-out Miller Park. "I hate to see one of my teammates booed off the mound like that. He didn't deserve that. It was a team loss."

Uh, sure Johnny. Whatever makes you feel better.

This coming from the guy who made a bad decision to throw the ball to 3rd base on that bunt.

That would be the point, as a member of the team he's taking part of the blame. On the other hand he had a split second to make that decision.

Archived