Brewer Fanatic

4/20/07 Astros (Albers) @ Brewers (Sheets): 7:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22

When you give up a grand slam in a tie game in the top of the 9th, you're going to get booed. There's no way around it, Johnny.

This coming from the guy who made a bad decision to throw the ball to 3rd base on that bunt.

I agree with you guys that giving up a salami in the 9th will get boos from any crowd, but keep in mind that Greg Aquino didn't ground into a double play with runners on first and third and one out. He also isn't responsible for another RISP fiasco.

Like Estrada said, it was a team loss, and I'm sure he would be just as quick to say that it was a mistake to throw to third on that bunt. I don't blame him for trying to defend one of his guys. It shows the strength of the team, IMO.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can't put it all on Aquino. If Estrada hadn't thrown to third that would have beena 3 run home run not a salami. Also his throwing error on the steal attempt led to the unearned run against Sheets. You take out those two plays 5-4 Brewers win. There are lots of things that factored into the loss.

Quote:
And seriously, Aquino blows chunks. He has all year. Its just he's been bailed out so many times, that his ERA is deceptively better than it should be.

Are you kidding me? Before the last two outings he had 0.00 ERA and a WHIP of 1.11. He walked two struck out 5 and gave up 5 hits in 6 1/3 innings. That isnt brilliant but its way better than blowing chunks and actually pretty good in my book. The last two games he has looked awful but he pitched pretty good before that.

I don't blame him for trying to defend one of his guys. It shows the strength of the team, IMO.

Given the choice, I'd rather hear cliches like "it's a team loss" than having teammates throwing teammates under the bus (especially in mid-April).

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Quote:
Are you kidding me? Before the last two outings he had 0.00 ERA and a WHIP of 1.11. He walked two struck out 5 and gave up 5 hits in 6 1/3 innings. That isnt brilliant but its way better than blowing chunks and actually pretty good in my book. The last two games he has looked awful but he pitched pretty good before that.

No, I'm not kidding. The guy has done a horrible job of stranding inherited runners (which isn't included in your nice little ERA stat). And he's been bailed out of jams on at least two occasions. He's not nearly as good as the stats you gave made him out to be. He's wild, and has no sense of the strike zone. It was pretty clear from the very beginning that Aquino was going to have games like last night, he's not nearly as refined as the rest of the members in our pen.

Archived