Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Theriot better than all brewer hitters

DrWood

Before the season, there were several posters that said that Theriot was a Bad player, not just mediocre. He has a better OPS than EVERY qualified brewer hitter.

Just providing a point of reference.

There are reasons why people (including myself) were calling Theriot a bad player. In his first year as a full-time player he batted .266 with an OBP of .326, with very little power. I never really thought he was a great fielder either as it looks like he takes a while to get the ball to first base. Maybe I am wrong and this year will be his coming out year, but I am guessing he will slide back closer to his career average. His start to the year reminds me of Kendall's. A lot of weakly hit balls that fall into play for hits.

Imo... he's a sub-par defender at SS, very little power, not especially talented at the contact side of hitting, with decent plate discipline. Theriot makes me appreciate JJ Hardy just that much more -- yes, even when JJ's slumping. I think his 2007 .266/.326 is very close to his true talent. My guess is his career year he'll bat in the .280-.300 range with a .330-.340 OBP, all while playing a relatively sorry SS. If he could be played at 2B instead, he'd hurt the Cubs much less, but fortunately for us their only other option right now is Ronny Cedeno.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Mitch Stetter is better than CoCo Cordero.

Stetter 2.08 ERA, 0.95 WHIP and .178 BAA

Cordero 2.08,1.46, .239

Glad we didn't blow all that money on him when we have a better option at league minimum.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Through May of last year JJ had 15 home runs, 46 RBI's, was batting around .300, with an OBP around .350, and an OPS over .900. All those numbers dropped significantly after that. It just goes to shows it is a long season.

Before the season, there were several posters that said that Theriot was a Bad player, not just mediocre. He has a better OPS than EVERY qualified brewer hitter. Just providing a point of reference.

Are you implying that Theriot will keep this up over the course of the year? Seems like you might want to hold off on the "I told you so's" until the rest of the data is in.

I think all these examples should highlight just how different these two statements are:

1. Player A IS better than Player B

2. Player A has better results than Player B over some period of time

I am sure I am not objective about some Cubs players. There are some who I think are good (Lee, Marmol, Zambrano, etc), some who I think are overrated (Wood, Theriot, Soriano) some who I have overrated (Lilly, Hill) and some who I think the jury is still out on (Soto, Fukudome). However, BF.net is equally hard on Brewer players as well. Sheets and Weeks come to mind as players a large group of people don't care for.

But to call people not objective because we think Theriot is bad isnt really true. His numbers before the year backed it up.

my point was just how wretched the brewers hitters have been, not any statement about theriot who has had hot starts in the past.

At least SOMEONE should be hitting better than Theriot.

Yes I agree, someone SHOULD be hitting better than Theriot. Corey Hart is sneaking up there though. He's starting to get hot.

Is it as depressing for everyone else as it is for me to look at the BA of our lineup every day? It stinks having just 1 guy hitting above .300 whereas the Cubbies have just 1 guy below .300 (something like that). Hope it all evens out in the end http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

my point was just how wretched the brewers hitters have been, not any statement about theriot who has had hot starts in the past.

At least SOMEONE should be hitting better than Theriot.

I misunderstood your point. Obviously, I feel that it is crazy no one is hitting better than Theriot, but I feel pretty good that we will see a good amount of guys finish better than Theriot.

Theriot is like the Cubs' version of Tony Gwynn Jr. He'd be a serviceable -- if not good -- back up option, but he's not a guy you want playing every day. A lot of Cubs fans realize this, and they'd probably prefer to see Ronny Cedeno in the lineup instead. He's definitely gotten off to a hot start, but he did the same thing last year before severely fading away by the end of the season.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If he could be played at 2B instead, he'd hurt the Cubs much less, but fortunately for us their only other option right now is Ronny Cedeno.

I don't feel very fortunate that the Cubs have a guy like Cedeno to go to when Theriot cools down. The pressure's off Cedeno now and he's going to be the players his minor league numbers suggested he'd be.

And as you know, I'm not saying this because of his incredibly hot start.

A .275/.325/.375 player? His minor league line is .279/.329/.395/.724 -- I don't think his current career line is very far from what he'll do. I know you know how I feel about Cedeno... I just don't understand why you think Cubs fans are fortunate.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think it is safe to say that Theriot is a lot better player than many brewerfan posters thought he was. part of my thinking last year was that he seemed to generate wins despite his stats. he was a sparkplug- a good luck charm. a scrappy guy. is he a better shortstop than hardy? probably not. is he an all star? definitely not. But he's also definitely not as bad as some posters tried to make him out to be last year. I think he's better than Counsel who makes more money.

it's kind of like how some brewers think of Suppan as a good pitcher, while others get blinded by his salary and say he's a terrible pitcher. Suppan's a good pitcher. he's not all star material. But he's better than a lot of other pitchers. is Suppan any worse than Moyer or Wakefield or maddux? Some would say yes, while others would argue no.

the same applies to theriot. he's a nice guy to have if your team is going to dedicate salary resourses to other areas like Soriano, lee and Zambrano. Every team needs a Theriot.

Archived