Brewer Fanatic

Bizarro stats

With roughly 20% of the season completed, here are some stats that probably nobody would have predicted.

1. The Brewer catchers have not hit a home run yet this season (Rivera was filling in at 1B when he hit his in Chicago).

2. Craig Counsell has 1 RBI in 46 ABs. He's 1 for 12 with RISP.

3. Gabe Gross had just 2 RBI in 43 AB's when he left.

4. Gabe Kapler still has more RBI than Hardy, Weeks and Kendall.

5. Mike Rivera has the same amount of HR as Corey Hart and JJ Hardy.

6. Kapler has as many HR as Fielder.

7. Ben Sheets has as many hits as Gallardo, Villanueva and Suppan combined.

8. Prince Fielder has more walks than strikeouts.

9. Rickie Weeks has just one "official" error.

10. Mike Cameron in 6 games has more HR than Hardy and Hart combined in 60 games.

Some of those are pretty surprising but a few aren't, IMO:

1. The Brewer catchers have not hit a home run yet this season (Rivera was filling in at 1B when he hit his in Chicago).

That's not surprising at all. We knew Kendall would get almost all the starts and he has 4 HRs in teh last 3 years.

2. Craig Counsell has 1 RBI in 46 ABs. He's 1 for 12 with RISP.

Unless you think he's going to hit a lot of HRs, how many RBI's should the guy have in 12 AB w/RISP? 2? 3? You'd probably only expect 2 hits out of every 12 AB from him, afterall.

8. Prince Fielder has more walks than strikeouts.

He had a K/BB ratio of 121/90 last year and hit 50 HRs. I don't think it's that surprising that teams have been hesitant to throw strikes to him for the first month of the season.

"how many RBI's should the guy have"?

Well, it's not that surprising but it is illustrative of how weak a hitter he really is. He's 0 for 9 with a man on and 2 out. He's 0 for 3 with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs and hasn't got the runner in each time.

The Brewers would be much better off when they give Hardy a day off if they moved Hall to SS and inserted Dillon at 3B.

"we knew Kendall would get most of the starts....he has 4 in last 3 years"

All true, but again it's a stark illustration of the lack of sock from one of 8 positions. I don't think any Brewer team ever, had such a lack of power from the catcher position. Now if Rivera played once in a while, that might not be, but I last saw him on a milk carton.

As for Fielder, I just tried to include something that was positive. But it also illustrates why they need the guys behind him to start driving the ball.

I posted this in another thread -- but I think this is the most bizarre.

No Brewer starter (except Sheets) has more than one win, and it has been a month since a starter not named Sheets has gotten a win -- this from a team that is +.500.

Torres has as many wins as Parra+Villy+Suppan+Yo+Bus-! Yikes!

Verified Member
Bill Hall is on pace for a career high 170 strikeouts. He has recently moved up to 9th on the Brewer career list, even though he ranks only 24th in plate appearances. At least his strikeout rate still ranks behind great strikeout kings such as Rob Deer, Jose Hernandez, and Gorman Thomas; as well as our favorite announcer Bill Schroeder.

Verified Member
Today's dumb stat comes to you courtesy of the Journal-Sentinel. They posted that when Ryan Braun hit his 40th career HR on Sunday, he was the fastest to 40. When you count in days, he did it quicker than Mark McGwire by 2 days. I say who cares. If you count by games, it took Braun 149 games to get to 40 HR, but McGwire did it in only 110 games. Fastest to 40? You tell me.

• 2 weeks later...

How about Prince Fielder with only 2 HR in May -- 11 fewer than he had in May of last year, and on track to be his worst HR month since becoming a regular.

(Of course, there are still a few days left in May -- perhaps he could jack a few against the Braves . . .)

The Brewers are 13-10 at home, but have a 3-3-2 record in series at home. They are 13-18 on the road, but have a 5-4-1 record n series on the road. Maybe they should just not get swept on the road.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived