Brewer Fanatic

Let's talk about something good: Guillermo Mota

derflotr

The guy has allowed 4 runs in 15 innings, 3 of which in one appearance against Florida in that extra-inning loss (yeah, that one). I have to say I've been braced for failure every time he's entered a game, but he's really surprised me. I mean, he has allowed 13 hits and 10 walks in those 15 innings, but still just the 4 runs.

That Mota for Estrada trade is looking awfully good right now. Looking through this roster he (maybe Mitch Stetter) is probably my biggest surprise performer for the Brewers so far. I certainly did not think he'd be locked in as the team's main set up man.

He started out awful, in my eyes, and has really been one of the more effective relievers. Gange is Gange, Turnbow Turnblowed himself right out of Milwaukee, and Riske has been quite questionable. A bag of balls would have been value for Estrada, and Melvin seems to have pulled another gem of a deal.

Unfortunately, the numbers indicate that he is due to come back to earth pretty soon. Sorry to rain on the parade. A WHIP of 1.533 and 10 walks are not good indicators, but I've still been pleasantly surprised.

Community Moderator

logan kind of stated what I would have had I seen this earlier. Yeah only four runs are charged to him but to allow that many baserunners will eventually catch up to him. I know that several times this season I have stated out loud, "now I know why Mets fans didn't like this guy." He definitely is not the same guy that pitched for the Dodgers (kind of like Gagne) just a few seasons ago.

Man, I really hope that the pen could pull off one of those semi-epic 10-20 inning shutout streak one of these weeks.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Unfortunately, the numbers indicate that he is due to come back to earth pretty soon. Sorry to rain on the parade. A WHIP of 1.533 and 10 walks are not good indicators, but I've still been pleasantly surprised.

Yeah -- he has pitched out of some jams -- but he is walking way too many batters.

I think the Brewers will eventually wish they just released estrada.

He may put runners on but he doesn't let them score. Turnblow put em on...then put em in.

There are a few pitchers who can consistently sit with a higher LOB%, Riske seems to be one of them. Mota has not shown this ability at all in his career, if he keeps up this high LOB% it is mostly smoke and mirrors and we got lucky.

I think Mota has looked pretty good, but like some have already said his WHIP is a little too high. I'm not sold that he's going to come back down to earth. I think he still might be adjusting to his "new" mechanics that him and Maddux have worked on. There the same mechanics he used a few years back when he had some good years, but then changed his delivery in New York. I think we'll find out in a few more appearances which way Mota is going to go this year.

Mota is one Shouse lucky day away (Shouse got out a right handed hitter with the bases loaded against Cincy) from looking much worse

Only Mota's stuff is far superior to that of Shouse. I wouldn't worry about his WHIP. I was at the game he lost allowing 3 runs to Florida in the 10th inning. He walked some guys and they got two hits, one on a swinging bunt and the other on a dying quail in the OF. He hasn't really been hit hard all year.

Mota will make fine trade bait at the deadline unless the Brewers are still in it.

His ERA is lower than it should be, mainly because of the walks, but he's also not going to continue to allow 10 walks for every 15 innings. The strikeouts per inning are legitimate, though, and as long as he keeps that up then he'll be fine. The biggest reason that he looks so much better this year compared to the last few is the home runs allowed. He allowed eight in 59.1 innings in 2006 and nine in 37.2 innings in 2005, but just one in 15 innings this season. I think that I'd be more worried that his home runs allowed this season are a fluke than how many walks he's allowed.

Archived