Brewer Fanatic

April 6, 2008

This was the last time the Brewers won a game that didn't include a 9th inning save situation - they've been able to do this in only 3 games so far this season out of 31 games.

When only 10% of your games are easy, cruise-control type wins, it puts a ton of strain on the bullpen and pitching staff as a whole.

5 blown saves from Gagne stinks, but what also stinks is that the apparent strength of this team, the offense, has yet to get going and give a very strained pitching staff some much-needed support.

Community Moderator

I knew it had been a while but not that long! Wow.

The offense will pick up at some point. It has to, based on the law of averages. They were just plain mashing in spring training (albeit against sub-par pitchers for the most part) and it will happen again for a stretch. The question is when?

I still say that all these close games and extra inning affairs can only help the team if and when they do make the playoffs and every game is likely a tight one.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Wow, this is a great point! Right now I am desperate for a 5 game winning streak. A stretch where the entire rotation turns in quality starts and the hitters mash the ball. Hart and Braun have raised their averages noticeably in the last two weeks. Less noticeable is Hardy, Hall, and Prince have also improved. Hardy and Hall were around .200 a couple weeks ago. So, the early signs are there.....a breakout could be just around the corner. Then, maybe, Gagne would never have to pitch again!

Gagne is on pace to appear in about 75 games this year. That is too many. Some will say that it is about 75 games too many.....but that comment belongs in another thread.

When every game is close, you play with fire. Things will go wrong. We need some dependable left-handed bats to help our offense.

Verified Member

When only 10% of your games are easy, cruise-control type wins, it puts a ton of strain on the bullpen and pitching staff as a whole.

When I first read this, I wondered what percentage of games normally are wins of more than 3 runs, but I went through last year's results and found 32 games the Brewers won in 2007 by more than 3 runs, which is closer to 20% so your point is well-taken.

When I first read this, I wondered what percentage of games normally are wins of more than 3 runs, but I went through last year's results and found 32 games the Brewers won in 2007 by more than 3 runs, which is closer to 20% so your point is well-taken.

This early in the season, the 10% number could jump way up with a good offensive week - the more alarming trend is the three games the Brewers won in easy fashion were all in the season's opening week...it's been nailbiting time ever since.

Archived