Brewer Fanatic

Will this nucleus ever win and what the future holds?

I think Doug Melvin and Gord Ash have to decide before the June draft or the trade deadline at the latest whether or not this nucleus will ever win. And if that answer is no then some real decisions have to be made and a set of priorities need to be put in place to what to do with certain members of this ballclub now that they are reaching arby years and free agent years.

Personally I believe that this team is handcuffed with negatives that detract from the good.

The club has to decide what it is going to do with JJ Hardy. Escobar is coming and coming quick. Hardy has shown (except a few stretches) that he will never be more then a average at best hitter. His inablility to hit anything other then a fastball is quite worrysome. If you plan to move Hardy to 2nd or 3rd in the future you have to be sure Escobar is going to be an above average offensive player at the MLB level.

Then the club has to decide next what to do with Rickie Weeks. Rickie has been labeled with that great 5 tool label. Weeks is frustrating because while he hits balls on the button he still is around .200 batting average. While batting average is a worthless statistic when a player is relying on walks a majority of on base appearances that is cause for concern. You also can't forget about his hole in his glove at 2B. Are the Brewers going to be content with his defensive play or will they be forced to move him to the outfield.

Then then have to decide if Tony Gwynn Jr. is the answer in the outfield. He has shown some flash but will a guy who doesn't scare you with any sort of power project to anything more then a bit player?

Now you have to decide if Prince Fielder is worthy to be 1/10th of your salary next season and most likely higher after that. There is no doubt that the potential to have a 45/110 guy on your team is great but he could have a short run and is he going to be worth the potential contract he is in line for?

I think that Pitching staff has to be a major concern to the Brewers. Like Melvin's teams in Texas you have to be worried about the lack of pitching depth in the system and at the MLB level. Your number 2 pitcher (Suppan) should be a 4, your 3 and 4 (CV and Manny) have trouble getting quality starts, and your number 5 (Bush) was just sent to the minors and forced to come back after 1 start. Your next starter is likely a guy nobody had any interest in until the Brewers called (Weaver). Ben Sheets pending free agency lingers over this ball club. The likelyhood of the Brewers signing him is hardly debated by those close to the situation, so the question has to be trade him for prospects in July or take the draft picks.

I might be in the minority but I feel the team needs to build around Corey Hart and Ryan Braun. Everybody else is expendable. Yes I mean if a team is going to offer the farm for Prince Fielder then I listen. If the Detroit Tigers, Cleveland Indians, New York Yankees come calling in July for Ben Sheets I have to listen and strongly consider it. Matt LaPorta is darn near ready. Matt Gamel might just be ready offensively. And Escobar is definatly ready defensively.

If you think this team can win and win this year do you trade the young prospects? Or do you let the chips fall and use your kids next season? Do you want Doug Melvin to draft a guy like Fields from Georgia who can realistically be in the bullpen by the allstar break.

I don't think I can sit here and say I believe that this nucleus can win and God do I want them to! I just think that after overhauling the bullpen, and working on improving the defense they decided that they would continue to live and die with the long ball.

I wanted to trade JJ Hardy last winter while I think he still had some serious value but I think the Brewers are going to be stuck with him. Escobar is going to push him hopefully. Rickie Weeks has the tools you want and hopefully someday he can touch them.

Trade Sheets before the deadline if your out of it. Try and decide if you want Braun and Hart, or Fielder and Hart. I don't know if they can afford Braun and Fielder. If you think it is Braun and Hart you gotta look to trade the big guy before he gets the likely 10 million arby case. Get Luis Pena to the big leagues now and get his feet wet. Trade one of the relievers, trade Bush, trade Kapler.

Verified Member
2009 Opening Day Lineup

2B Rickie Weeks

CF Melky Caberra

1B Matt LaPorta

LF Ryan Braun

RF Corey Hart

SS Alcides Escobar

3B JJ Hardy/Bill Hall

C Jason Kendell

No offense or anything but that is a horrible lineup. The pitching most likely won't be much better.

I'm not convinced we have enough to get over the top either post-Gallardo's injury. However, this nucleus will be here for at least 3-4 more years. As long as we have Prince, Braun, etc. I think we'll have a chance as they develop. It will depend on their development and getting better pitching.

I appreciate the effort of the post, but I find too many people think there is a magic bullet in our farm system. Our best prospects are in Huntsville for a reason. These guys aren't any better of prospects than the guys playing right now were 3 years ago. I think they will be great over time too, but they are likely to have the same growing pains this bunch is having when they finally get here. I feel good knowing these guys have plenty of time to develop by the time we start to lose guys like Prince, but they won't be able to help us this year or likely next year. The one exception could be LaPorta who wouldn't come up until June 1ish next year like Braun last year so as not to eat that extra year of service.

What I do agree with is the need for another stud starting pitcher. Our prospects are much deeper with position players than pitchers. We lose Sheets and we'll be lucky to get Gallardo back possibly at his level in 2009. Then what - either the young guys need to develop or we've got a number of 4/5 guys. That won't win a division.

Why Melky Cabrera or a Melky type player? I wouldn't want to have a weak hitting CF with average speed and SB potential. It's not the first time I've seen his name mentioned, and I can't figure out for the life of me why a guy like that is coveted.

Like SoCal, I don't see our current farm system as a "magic bullet." I would like to see a big time proven pitcher, or another young arm come in. And unlike some, I think you have to keep Sheets, hope Yo heals well, and then add one more arm on top of that. Come late season, it's Starting Pitching that is going to carry a team.

No offense but why are you proposing we rebuild? With a lineup and pitching staff that is 2002 bad, I think you need to turn the computer off and take a step back after this series. Seriously, I cant see what you got for Sheets, Fielder and Gallardo, yet none of them are in your lineup. THat pitching staff really is brutal.

So we lost 3 in a row. If we take 2 of three from the fish it will be a 4-5 road trip which is about right. Everyone needs to settle down.

"If you plan to move Hardy to 2nd or 3rd in the future you have to be sure Escobar is going to be an above average offensive player at the MLB level. "

Why does Escobar have to have above average offense? He can be valuable for a few years with excellent defense and below average offense. As the stars of the team get more expensive, players like Escobar, cheap young players are exactly what the Brewers will need to fill out the rest of the roster.

"Then then have to decide if Tony Gwynn Jr. is the answer in the outfield. He has shown some flash but will a guy who doesn't scare you with any sort of power project to anything more then a bit player?"

If Gwynn can provide good CF defense and get on base at a league average clip, he will also be a valuable player for a few years. I don't think this decision has to be made by the trading deadline. At the end of the year there should be a little more evidence to indicate whether Cameron's option is worth it or if we can live with Gwynn at center for a year (or possibly, option 3, Hart to CF and LaPorta to RF).

"Now you have to decide if Prince Fielder is worthy to be 1/10th of your salary next season and most likely higher after that. There is no doubt that the potential to have a 45/110 guy on your team is great but he could have a short run and is he going to be worth the potential contract he is in line for?"

I don't understand why you think this decision has to be made so soon. Prince won't get the big award unless he puts up another monster year. If he puts up another monster year, than yes, he is worth it, for at least one more season.

It's too early to blow up this team. The team should still be a fun team to go watch at the ballpark, and Melvin should be able to put together a near-contender next year with all of the controlled players on this team.

The notion that there's some inherent 'loseriness' in the blood of the current group of players is laughable. The amount of knee-jerk threads lately has been anything but amusing.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The notion that there's some inherent 'loseriness' in the blood of the current group of players is laughable. The amount of knee-jerk threads lately has been anything but amusing.

I know what you mean, the worst part is that it is a lot of people overreacting at once. I really wish there would not be a new thread with people freaking out after we lose.

I am not proposing that they blow up the team. This organization is never going to go out and be able to spend with the big boys. There is just no way. Then you have to give up stuff to get stuff and that is the thing that people always believe around here. The Milwaukee Brewers are not the worlds greatest destination spots for attracting free agents. The fact of the matter is Ben Sheets is gone...PERIOD. Prince Fielder is likely to get the 2nd year 10 million if he is anywhere close to 35-40. There were some scouts over the winter that were debating if JJ Hardy had already hit his glass ceiling. I have seen on Baseball Tonight and on heard on Fox Sports Radio that Matt LaPorta is the most ready guy in the minors to come in an make an immediate impact. Who's blocking him? Braun, Hart, and Fielder...the three CORNERSTONES of this ballclub. When the owner says he couldn't imagine spending as much as he is I can't realistically see Ryan Braun (who they have acknowledged they are negotiating with), Ben Sheets (who is gone regaurdless) , Prince Fielder (who is likely to get 10 million), and Corey Hart (who is quietly just doing what he does and that is produce). With 6 picks in the first 2 rounds and a talent the level of Ben Sheets and what he attacts in the trade market I think it is a questioned that seriously needs to be addressed.

The point of this thread was not to be knee jerk but to ask a simple question...CAN THIS NUCLEUS WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP? Can this current team win NOW? If thinking long term is knee jerk, then I now know how Ted Thompson feels when the fans boo him on draft day.

Think about it: last year, if Cordero doesn't serve one up to Ramirez, give up a three run lead with one out to get TWICE, and if Yost makes a couple of different decisions, the Milwaukee Brewers win the NL Central. Probably by several games. And who knows, maybe they ride the wave to the World Series?

The point is, they've been close enough to the postseason where I can believe that they have the ability to win. I'm more concerned that this team has blown a 4 run lead in two games this weekend. If the pitching would have held up this weekend, optimism abounds.

And, trading Fielder so soon would alienate this fan base. He's a star and he puts a lot of butts in the seats. IMO, he is the face of the Milwaukee Brewers. If there's anybody I'd jettison before next year, it's JJ.

I don't know man, I think you guys are overlooking the question he's asking. Is this nucleus good enough even down the road, at their best. No one expects a magic bullet or whatever you want to call it, but I do think we need to have the right types of players to build a complete team, not a home run derby no defense/pitching team. For example, if we can get a nice deal for Hardy that maybe brings some pitching and let Escobar play it might be worth it, even with the offense we may lose.

I also totally agree with building around Hart and Braun, I'm not saying trade Prince now but I would not be opposed to listening to offers as soon as this off-season. If we got a good starting pitcher and an almost ready catcher, I'd pull the trigger as soon as this off-season. Call me crazy all you want, and I love Prince, but if he's not hitting for power and driving in runs he brings nothing to the table.

I want to add that me thinking this way has nothing to do with the last 3 games or this season at all. Even before the season, as excited as I was, I was already wondering if this core would be good enough, not this year, but any year they are together. I think we all have been excited to have a competitive team that we've totally been sold on this being "the" nucleus that would get us into the play-offs and beyond. I think it's obvious we need better starting pitching to be really competitive, even more so next year with Sheets gone. If we have to trade some of our mlb position players to improve our pitching I don't see that as re-building at all.

I don't know, I love this line-up, I love this team. But, I do have some serious doubts and I totally agree with the original poster that some of our strengths (mashing) might be offset by our lack of defense/pitching and inability to consistantly get on base for said mashing. Sorry for the length of the post and thanks for those of you who read it all.

Don't jump of a building, folks. The offense is one of the top 3 or 4 in the National League and there are 3 stud prospects who should be ready to contribute in the major by next year. What if the Brewers trade for a legitimate starter like AJ Burnett or Joe Blanton at the deadline, Sheets stays healthy, Suppan, Parra, and Villanueva get hot and they make they playoffs? I'm not too optimistic, but jeepers, it is May.

I know what you mean, the worst part is that it is a lot of people overreacting at once. I really wish there would not be a new thread with people freaking out after we lose.

This isn't a overreaction or freaking out after we lose. I wanted to post this before Yo got hurt. It just happens to be the only time I had time to post. I am a full season season ticket holder and have been for some time. I supported this team from when they sucked until now. I would like to see something good come of this team. We have some pieces that can bring in a LOT of talent to help the overall team. Hypothetically a Prince Fielder trade could bring a new ace and fill a lot of holes. Now is the time to think long term. The draft is in a month, the trade deadline is in 3. If you feel that this nucleus is going to win do you want to take a pitcher like Fields from Georgia who would likely be in Milwaukee within weeks of signing or do you go long term. That was the point of the topic, not a overreaction to a loss.

Can this current team win NOW? If thinking long term is knee jerk, then I now know how Ted Thompson feels when the fans boo him on draft day.

That first part is pretty short term. I'm sorry, I've just gotten fed up with knee-jerk thread after knee-jerk thread this season, and saw the following from you:

Personally I believe that this team is handcuffed with negatives that detract from the good.

Hardy has shown (except a few stretches) that he will never be more then a average at best hitter. His inablility to hit anything other then a fastball is quite worrysome.

--No offense, but there isn't much legitimacy to the 'scouting report' here, though I think he's clearly the most limited of Fielder/Weeks/Hart/Braun/Hardy

Weeks is frustrating because while he hits balls on the button he still is around .200 batting average. While batting average is a worthless statistic when a player is relying on walks a majority of on base appearances that is cause for concern. You also can't forget about his hole in his glove at 2B. Are the Brewers going to be content with his defensive play or will they be forced to move him to the outfield.

--Inaccurate, especially on the defense -- Rickie has been surprisingly better in 2008. You're saying there's something inherent in Weeks's swing that his BA is limited? Rickie draws BBs very well... even when he's not slugging the ball well (which is a rare combo) -- this is a good thing.

Like Melvin's teams in Texas you have to be worried about the lack of pitching depth in the system and at the MLB level. Your number 2 pitcher (Suppan) should be a 4, your 3 and 4 (CV and Manny) have trouble getting quality starts, and your number 5 (Bush) was just sent to the minors and forced to come back after 1 start.

--So Melvin is not only not praised for acquiring good SP (Gallardo, Bush, Villy)... he's actually ripped because the 'best' he was able to do in Texas is take the franchise to its only 3 playoff appearances?

I don't think I can sit here and say I believe that this nucleus can win and God do I want them to! I just think that after overhauling the bullpen, and working on improving the defense they decided that they would continue to live and die with the long ball.

I know you are taking care to focus on the long-term, but a lot of your supporting 'evidence' is very, very knee-jerk stuff.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't know man, I think you guys are overlooking the question he's asking. Is this nucleus good enough even down the road, at their best. No one expects a magic bullet or whatever you want to call it, but I do think we need to have the right types of players to build a complete team, not a home run derby no defense/pitching team. For example, if we can get a nice deal for Hardy that maybe brings some pitching and let Escobar play it might be worth it, even with the offense we may lose.

I also totally agree with building around Hart and Braun, I'm not saying trade Prince now but I would not be opposed to listening to offers as soon as this off-season. If we got a good starting pitcher and an almost ready catcher, I'd pull the trigger as soon as this off-season. Call me crazy all you want, and I love Prince, but if he's not hitting for power and driving in runs he brings nothing to the table.

I want to add that me thinking this way has nothing to do with the last 3 games or this season at all. Even before the season, as excited as I was, I was already wondering if this core would be good enough, not this year, but any year they are together. I think we all have been excited to have a competitive team that we've totally been sold on this being "the" nucleus that would get us into the play-offs and beyond. I think it's obvious we need better starting pitching to be really competitive, even more so next year with Sheets gone. If we have to trade some of our mlb position players to improve our pitching I don't see that as re-building at all.

I don't know, I love this line-up, I love this team. But, I do have some serious doubts and I totally agree with the original poster that some of our strengths (mashing) might be offset by our lack of defense/pitching and inability to consistantly get on base for said mashing. Sorry for the length of the post and thanks for those of you who read it all.

Thank you...exactly what I was going after. Great points.

Will this nucleus ever win and what the future holds?

I believe this team is established enough to conclude that unless we have a White Sox '05 type season, we are no more than a 82-85 win team over the next three years as is. So if by win you mean championship caliber, I think the answer is no.

However, that doesn't lead to blowing the team up. We can go two routes with it:

1 - Continue to build as we have been, and without any bad luck remain a 80's win team over the next eight years, as Oakland did. In this case, the club is spreading out the good years and with one lucky season possibly take home a title.

2 - Use our future (our prospects) to build a short term championship caliber team, then fall back and try to do it over again.

Selling off our current team really just sets us back two years.

" I have seen on Baseball Tonight and on heard on Fox Sports Radio that Matt LaPorta is the most ready guy in the minors to come in an make an immediate impact. Who's blocking him? Braun, Hart, and Fielder...the three CORNERSTONES of this ballclub."

Hart isn't blocking LaPorta. When LaPorta is ready as a package, offensively and defensively, bring him up and move Hart to CF. That should work for a couple of years, when Hart will need to move back to a corner and LaPorta can take up 1B after Fielder is gone.

"When the owner says he couldn't imagine spending as much as he is I can't realistically see Ryan Braun (who they have acknowledged they are negotiating with), Ben Sheets (who is gone regaurdless) , Prince Fielder (who is likely to get 10 million), and Corey Hart (who is quietly just doing what he does and that is produce). With 6 picks in the first 2 rounds and a talent the level of Ben Sheets and what he attacts in the trade market I think it is a questioned that seriously needs to be addressed."

I don't understand what you are saying here. The Brewers should be able to afford all of those players next year, if they wanted to. I also don't understand what draft picks this year have to do with the talent of this year's team and how they can compete this year and next. How much help do you expect out of the draft picks in the majors over the next year? I'm also not sure that Sheets will get much in a trade. Unless the other team signs an extension with Sheets, they aren't likely to give up a whole lot for a rental.

Hardy has shown (except a few stretches) that he will never be more then a average at best hitter. His inablility to hit anything other then a fastball is quite worrysome.

--No offense, but there isn't much legitimacy to the 'scouting report' here, though I think he's clearly the most limited of Fielder/Weeks/Hart/Braun/Hardy

Ah, I guess I just take more faith in guys like Drew Olson, Tom Haudricourt, and Bill James who said on 540 ESPN the exact thing I said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weeks is frustrating because while he hits balls on the button he still is around .200 batting average. While batting average is a worthless statistic when a player is relying on walks a majority of on base appearances that is cause for concern. You also can't forget about his hole in his glove at 2B. Are the Brewers going to be content with his defensive play or will they be forced to move him to the outfield.

--Inaccurate, especially on the defense -- Rickie has been surprisingly better in 2008. You're saying there's something inherent in Weeks's swing that his BA is limited? Rickie draws BBs very well... even when he's not slugging the ball well (which is a rare combo) -- this is a good thing.

Surprisingly better from what? Horrible to slightly Horrible? He makes way to many mental errors and his turns on double plays are rediculous. They have been since he came up. That isn't short sided. He does draw a lot of walks and I give him props on that but at some point he needs to put it all together...this year or next, he also strikes out waaaaaaay to much. His tools are HUGE, but the orginal post asks if he should be moved to the OF.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Like Melvin's teams in Texas you have to be worried about the lack of pitching depth in the system and at the MLB level. Your number 2 pitcher (Suppan) should be a 4, your 3 and 4 (CV and Manny) have trouble getting quality starts, and your number 5 (Bush) was just sent to the minors and forced to come back after 1 start.

--So Melvin is not only not praised for acquiring good SP (Gallardo, Bush, Villy)... he's actually ripped because the 'best' he was able to do in Texas is take the franchise to its only 3 playoff appearances?

Did Melvin's nucleus win a championship at Texas? And I give Melvin credit with Gallardo and Villy. Dave Bush was steal. The fact of the matter is that there really isn't a talent wealth in the minors. And the point of the statement was do you trade to get it or draft for it to help now if you think this nucleus can win now or do you draft for the future.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I know you are taking care to focus on the long-term, but a lot of your supporting 'evidence' is very, very knee-jerk stuff.

The supporting evidence is only knee jerk if you think that this nucleus can win now. And I am taking it that is your stance.

" I have seen on Baseball Tonight and on heard on Fox Sports Radio that Matt LaPorta is the most ready guy in the minors to come in an make an immediate impact. Who's blocking him? Braun, Hart, and Fielder...the three CORNERSTONES of this ballclub."

Hart isn't blocking LaPorta. When LaPorta is ready as a package, offensively and defensively, bring him up and move Hart to CF. That should work for a couple of years, when Hart will need to move back to a corner and LaPorta can take up 1B after Fielder is gone.

"When the owner says he couldn't imagine spending as much as he is I can't realistically see Ryan Braun (who they have acknowledged they are negotiating with), Ben Sheets (who is gone regaurdless) , Prince Fielder (who is likely to get 10 million), and Corey Hart (who is quietly just doing what he does and that is produce). With 6 picks in the first 2 rounds and a talent the level of Ben Sheets and what he attacts in the trade market I think it is a questioned that seriously needs to be addressed."

I don't understand what you are saying here. The Brewers should be able to afford all of those players next year, if they wanted to. I also don't understand what draft picks this year have to do with the talent of this year's team and how they can compete this year and next. How much help do you expect out of the draft picks in the majors over the next year? I'm also not sure that Sheets will get much in a trade. Unless the other team signs an extension with Sheets, they aren't likely to give up a whole lot for a rental.

Personally I feel that LaPorta is ready now...JMO. So you are saying TGJ is not the answer in CF.

And let me clarify about my other point. I fully expect Braun to get an extension before the season is out, Fielder will likely get the 10 million tender next year as Ryan Howard got it in his arby hearing, Hart should be considered for a extension soon, and Sheets will likely get a 100 million. If you feel this nucleus can win are you prepared to have 3 or 4 guys take up over a third of the salary?

You asked if I think there are guys in the draft that can be up in a year? If you would go to the draft forum there is two pretty good bets to make it up before the trade deadline in Cole St. Clair from Rice and Josh Fields from Georgia. If you think you can win now with 6 picks in the first 2 rounds you can snatch one and get him up. That was the point. If you don't believe that this nucleus you could see the Brewers draft high school kids or high ceiling college kids. That was the point, what do you want?

I'll concede that the Brewers have underperformed thus far, but we still have a lot of time left. Imagine being a Cubs fan or a Phillies fan last year. The Brewers and Mets were the toast of the land. Then, Ned left them in the toaster too long and burned the Quik-E-Mart down. Very sad story. But that nucleus that stormed otu to the early lead is still very much intact, and has yet to be ignited. It pains me greatly to see Stetter, a guy I have been warming too quite a lot lately, both in hopes for this year and beyond, give up his first runs of his major league career, but then I remember what this young gent has done in his young career. Braun....ROY. Hart....an amalgamation of Sizemore and Soriano. Hardy...All-Star. Prince....MVP candidate and leader of the longball, a regular Larry David (and how cool would it be to see Larry sport a Prince jersey. Pretty good...) And Weeks...well I don't know what we have in Weeks, but you can't argue with his run production and OBP-skills at the top of the order. When you factor in that Yovanni is a bulldog with no questions regarding his arm or his head, you can't help but feel warm and fuzzy. With or without Sheets, we will see the postseason in the next three years. I also am of the opinion that the Brewers have a better than not chance of being in first by the break.

The problem does not lie in the players themselves. Prince, Braun, and Cory are great young players. The problem lies in the fact that outside of Yovanni (who is injured and will not play again this year) zero of our future core comes in the way of pitching. There are no stud pitchers on the horizon (although I do think Manny will be solid in the future) and where will this organization come up with the funds to attract what we need. You can have all the bats you want, but good solid pitching and good defense wins games. Look at the Twins of earlier this decade. They won games with a lineup made up of many common fans never even heard of (outside of Mauer and Morneau). Sheets can not be considered as part of the core of this team any longer because it is pretty widely accepted that he is long gone after this year. Melvin needs to find a way to get one or two more pitchers that can come here and at least log respectable lines and be counted on to pitch more than 4-5 innings. The pitching on this team has not even been close to consistant enough this season to make me think we will contend this year or into the future. How can anyone fault any member of the bullpen so far this year with the way it is being used.

Which brings me to the point of why Maddux gets a free pass here while Yost continues to get roasted day after day. With our staff as it is currently made up what has Maddux done? Sheets has always been great when healthy. You have two young pitchers in Eveland and Parra who never struggled with control in the minors and they come up and neither of them could hit water if they fell out of a boat. Bush has regressed over three years. The entire basis that Capuano was ever good was misleading based upon his 18 win 2006 season. I guess I just don't see what Maddux has done that makes people believe he is such a great pitching coach.

Community Moderator

So you are saying TGJ is not the answer in CF.

At this point, I'm not convinced TGJ is the answer as 4th OF. And I'm only half kidding.

I think the OF can work with Braun in left, LaPorta in right, and Corey in center, and would certainly be the most ideal for the lineup.

" If you feel this nucleus can win are you prepared to have 3 or 4 guys take up over a third of the salary?"

I am. That's why I think it's good to have cheap young talent like Escobar and LaPorta ready to step in and contribute.

"If you think you can win now with 6 picks in the first 2 rounds you can snatch one and get him up. That was the point. If you don't believe that this nucleus you could see the Brewers draft high school kids or high ceiling college kids. That was the point, what do you want? "

I personally think it's a mistake to base a draft pick on what might happen later in the same season, or even the next season. Pick the best player that you can sign.

I still don't get where all the Hardy hate comes from. He had 2 bad months last year and 1 bad month this year and that is it since the all star break of his rookie year. He has been an above average hitting SS for most of the last 2.5 years. He is an average fielding SS. Sometimes being an average player isn't a bad thing you know.

Escobar doesn't excite me at all, he seems to be the next Jack Wilson to me.

Archived