Brewer Fanatic

Is Gagne getting squeezed?

nate82

It feels like every game that the strike zone for Gagne is getting tighter and tighter. Every time I have been watching Gagne pitch the zone seems to shrink when he comes into the game.

Today there were a couple of borderline strikes that should have been called a strike. A couple of strikes that were borderline in his first blown save. It feels like it is becoming a trend. Maybe someone can look up the stats and see if my feeling is correct. My gut is telling me that Gagne is being squeezed because of his past.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was squeezed badly today, and now we can confirm that the scouting report is definitely out: just stay patient with Gagne 2.0. Either he'll be all over or you can at least hope for the call.

The Astros swung less in the 9th today than any other time this series and they still got the tie, though the game should've ended twice before that.

Verified Member
Not sure of the reasons why he was being squeezed, or twhether it can be called a pattern, but Cuzzi was squeezing him to a ridiculous level in the 9th.

Gagne was fine today, and has been all season.

Payback for last September?

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Sports/638b722e-15a6-4806-b018-ec64f38512bb_mn.jpeg

Not sure of the reasons why he was being squeezed, or twhether it can be called a pattern, but Cuzzi was squeezing him to a ridiculous level in the 9th.

Are we getting that crew a lot this year?

Seriously... it may be time to call for replay.

I can't say it was the reason we lost today, but that umpiring crew is the worst in baseball by a long shot. Even the Astros announcers were questioning numerous calls. They are bitter, bad and have it in for the Brewers among other teams. They make horrible calls and then pick fights. It's appalling. If it wasn't for the umpires union, these guys would be waiting tables somewhere. (I mean that as no disrespect to the many fine men and women who wait tables).

Yes. He was just fine tonight, and beyond him getting squeezed was the horrific 'safe' call at 1B on Rickie's nice play from the hole. (iirc, that was the 9th)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm not sure how reliable this is, but I wonder if someone with Pitch f/x experience could take a look at Gagne's outings to determine how much he's getting squeezed. I agree, it really seems like it's been getting worse.

And if umpires are trying to get payback, then there's a more serious problem. Between the horrid calls, the baiting of players, and the racist comment last year, something needs to be seriously looked at. I'm lookin' at you, Bud!

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I hate how Gagne is becoming such a scapegoat for people who don't follow the Brewers too closely. The results haven't been great, but he's been fine in my opinion. People act like they willingly chose Gagne over Cordero. And besides, who would they rather have right now? Octavio Dotel?

And, in response to the original question, he is getting squeezed a bit.

My big beef with many umpires is the high strike is rarely every called anymore. That 2-2 pitch to Berkman was right down the middle and just a sliver above the belt, yet it's called a ball for being to high.

I think this hurts Gagne because he throws the changeup a lot and his nearly always drops somewhat. So the ball will cross the plate fairly often on his change around the belt, then drop a bit as Kendall catches it, but it's called high.

It seems like nearly every ump has their own idea of what they'll give on pitches around the corner of the plate, but most will shaft pitchers by calling pitches at the belt or a bit higher as a ball for being to high. Then if it's a ump with a tight zone on the corners, that leaves pitchers with a strike zone about the size of wallet.

Gagne was straight up screwed today. He was making great pitches and was totally getting squeezed. Throw in that great play by Rickie to get Blum that was called safe even though he was clearly out and the Brewers got screwed. It has happened a lot this season. Seems like the umps have been worse and worse. Gagne should have had his 10th save today not his 5th blown save, he threw the ball real well and has since that blow save in Cincy.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

And our starting position players and bullpen are predominantly minorities... Just saying. Perhaps they are upset with the Brews for jettisoning their favorite southern belle, Gabe Gross.

I'm not even sure this is worthy of a response, but let's not do this.

Gagne did get jobbed today, though, and I do agree that he hasn't been as bad as the numbers or even the results bear out. That said, he hasn't exactly been a $10M closer, either.

Yes, he was squeezed. But Gagne is a vet, and I'm sure it's happened before in his career. You react to the strike zone being called- there is nothing else you can control. Blown saves will happen to every closer, but with a 2 run lead you don't walk people. The excuses are mounting. Bad pitching mounds, foggy goggles, Jason Kendall..... it's starting to become a problem.

I'd go so far as to say that Gagne has pitched pretty darn well so far this year. Not like the unhittable Goggles of his Dodgers days, but pretty darn good, nonetheless. He got squeezed yesterday, and he's been squeezed in other games this season as well. He's only been hit hard in a couple of games -- and one of those was his 4th appearance in four days.

As far as him being worth $10M or not. I wouldn't say he isn't worth 10M, necessarily. If he continues to pitch like he has (and gets the results you would expect from him pitching like he has), then I think he'll end up being worth it. Closers with a resume get 7-8 million a year in free agency. Elite guys get more. We had to pay a little extra for the one-year deal, or else he probably might've been in the 3-yr 20-25 Mil range - just a guess.

Here's a sampling of some other closer contracts:

Isringhausen $8.8M '08 option exercised

Percival - 2-yr $8M (with $4M in incentives)

Nathan - 4-yr $47 M

Cordero - 4-yr $46M

Hoffman - $7.5M '08 option excercised -- he's 40 years old

Kerry Wood - $4.2 M plus $3.5 M in incentives for finishing games for a guy who can't stay healthy -- ever

It seems to me that if you want an established closer via free agency you're going to have pay somewhere a bit below what we're paying Gagne. And to mitigate the risk, you pay more for the 1-year deal. It seems to fall in line to me. The only contract in that group that is considerably cheaper is Percival's.

I know it's not quantifiable, but I don't think he's been worth $10M "Milwaukee Dollars" either
I think he was easily worth the risk for a 1 yr $10 million contract, and if I had the info right now I would still sign him to that contract.

He was one of the better relievers out there this winter that would sign a one year deal. The Brewers definitely needed a closer. He was a closer with experience that was lights out as recently as last year that wore down after he got traded, in his first year back from injury.

And the best part of it all When Gagne does end up saving 40 games for us this year we will offer him arbitration and somebody will end up giving him a huge contract and the brewers will get 2 more picks for him being a type-A Free Agent. That is just a guess but I believe arbitration compensation is built on the prior 2 years of stats for that particular player.

I think we have seen the worst out of Gagne so far this season

He has had 16 outings this season.

11 outing he has not allowed a run.

2 outtings he has allowed 1 run.

3 outings he has allowed 2-3 runs

In those 3 outings of 2 or 3 runs

-one was opening day with a new team facing perhaps the best 3,4,5 in the NL Lee, Ramirez, Fukudome

-the second of the outings came on the heels of pitching 4 days in a row (I dont care if the pitcher says he is OK or not, but you do not throw a high velocity pitcher 4 days in a row).

-the third of the outings came yesterday when he was getting squeezed and umpires were blowing calls. A tape of that 9th inning needs to be sent to the commisioner's office ASAP.

In all actuality Gagne has been pretty effective IMO.Take out the the idiotic decision by Ned Yost of pitching Gagne 4 days in a row and gagne has a 4.49 ERA with some really bad luck on his side. The luck will turn for him.

The Brewers aren't the only ones who have been targeted by this umpire crew. Ozzie Guillen swears up and down that Cuzzi in particular has it in for him. They are by far the most unprofessional of what is without a doubt a very poor crop of umpires in general. The umpiring the last couple of seasons has been horrendous. The strike zone varies by hitter. I don't know where they are getting these guys but they are bad. I commend players in general for keeping their cool but the league needs to do something.

Archived