Brewer Fanatic

4/22/07 Astros (Oswalt) @ Brewers (Bush): 1:05 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
Quote:
If they had no intention of pitching him, he wouldn't have been warming in the first place. If the Brewers would have scored in the bottom of the 8th, Cordero would have been in for sure.

And with a lead I'd go ahead and use Cordero, in a tie I wouldn't. If Cordero was fully fresh I could see using him in a tie, but not when he pitched two days in a row already and its the bottom 3 in the order.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tbow and Coco cannot pitch every game, the Brewers are playing so many close games that eventually they are going to have to close out a tough game without one or both of them, unless they add another pitcher to the active roster.

Billy said it right in the major league forum, people need to relax a bit and quit blowing every situation way out of porportion in regards to Yost

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Exactly, and I imagine Bush was out there today for as long as he was, because Ned wanted to give Cordero, Turnbow and Wise the day off. If Bush would have proceeded to get the next three batters out, Cordero would be available tomorrow. Now once Bush gave up the hit to Berkmann and the run, it made sense to stick Cordero in there to make sure this game wouldn't slip away.

Ned may have been trying to get by without running his best reliever into the ground. It didn't work out tonight, but I'd hardly say it was a bad decision.

As for the Aquino decision, I guess I didn't like it either. I would have rather that he would have just gone with Wise for the rest of the inning. Bringing Cordero in against the bottom of the order in a tie game didn't make enough sense, and it would have knocked him out of pitching the following night, so the only real move available to make was Aquino. Not saying that I agree with Ned making the move in the first place, but it was the only one available to him to make.

Quote:
So should Cordero pitch tomorrow if its close in the 9th?

Yes. And I am sure that Coco would agree. I saw Coco missing his spots but he didnt seem to be out of gas by any stretch of the imagination.

That said - I think if TBOW got another shot - his adrenaline might get the best of him and he could possibly implode and be lost for the season. He seems comfortable and dominant as a setup man. I prefer he remain a setup man.

just got back to ******on from the game..right next to the ballgirl first base side, first row! Sweet watching the game from those seats. I was "comfortable" seeing Bush get to the ninth, but thinking quick hook. He had been dealing all day and his stuff was noticeably weaker to the first batter. In a close game like that, if he's going to put the first guy on (after barely letting anyone on all game), then he just doesnt have it and you move on to the closer. By the time the second batter reached with no outs, you knew you had waited too long. No reason to wait for another batter and take chances in that situation.

As for the point Ennder keeps bringing up about Cordero not being available Friday - I get the thought - but you are completely wrong. I actually caught Ned's postgame and he basically said that he planned to use Coco but wanted him to come in the 10th, because that is when the meat of the order was due up. Also, Coco was warming to back that up. My take is similar to someone else that said he was treating Coco like "fine china"..wanting the perfect situation for him where he could basically guarantee a save.

I agree with starting Bush in the 9th. The guy's got a reasonably low Pitch Count, and is pitching a shutout. Let him throw. Would i have thrown Cordero in friday? Yes, keep it a tie game and send it to the bottom of the 9th. If you are away(like we will be tomarrow), it's a different situation, as you should hold onto your closer in away games unless you have the lead going into the bottom of the last inning. That being said, we just took 2 of 3 from a pretty good team, and gave ourselves a little bit of breathing room. It was a really good homestand.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Quote:
BB4life, you've got to get to some more games.

Right now, the only game i have tickets for is the June 12th game @ Detroit. I am gonna try to make it to the Billy Hall Bobblehead day, 2 games at Wrigley, and a few Twins games. Hopefully a few others too, but being a poor college kid makes it a little harder.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

The first time he used Aquino in a close game Aquino had looked good, was throwing strikes (66% of his pitches had been strikes so far on the year)

I don't see how his strike percentage over 7.2 IP can be used as evidence of anything. Aquino has always walked a lot of guys.

Archived