Brewer Fanatic

Value of Simmons?

Do they ever show him in the dugout near Ned????

Simmons & Yost are often trading notes/ideas in the dugout from what I've seen so far on Extra Innings. I've seen numerous occasions that the two are chatting about stuff, checking out the lineup/bench/bullpen card, etc. I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if I notice Simba trying to eagle-eye the signs from the opposing 3B coach, as RBM noted -- I hadn't seen you at work, you sly dog, Ted.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I wasn't a real big Ted Simmons fan when he was with the Brewers. I tend to remember him as the guy who roled the ball back to the pitcher after the second out in a game against Baltimore early in 1982 that cost a run, eventually the game, and almost cost us the pennant. He liked to do "odd" things like throw to second to get the back runner in a double steal. Then as a GM he goofed waivers on Wes Chamberlain (and I think someone else at the same time), losing him to the Phillies. His positive reputation really comes from his stint with the Braves. He was a basically a pinch-hitter with them, and he did a lot of positive work with their young players. He also helped keep bench people focused during games so that they would be ready when they called on to enter the game.

Either Ned learned a lot from his in game mistakes last year or Simmons has had some effect on him in this regard. I like him in the role he's in though I'm not sure I'd want another 82 team member to manage if Ned got fired. The only thing i didn't like about Ned when the Brewers hired him was that connection. All I could think of was Bart starr and Forrest Gregg.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Thank you Ned for getting tossed tonight. Now we all know that Teddy is around for something. You must enjoy reading this board in your spare time. Since you thought we all should see Teddy take over tonight and get on TV.

Ted didn't make any of those decisions, Yost is making them from the clubhouse.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I have no idea jazzytrav. But it's pretty obvious that this team isn't improving under Yost. Would it be that much of a travesty to TRY someone different?

No, and that's why I feel it's a good idea to maybe make a change, but only change for the sake of change...which I think may be called for in this case.

I do have to say that I really disagree with a lot of the Yost criticisms, however sometimes you simply need a shakeup. And I was in favor of bringing Ted Simmons in last year when the team plateaued.

Do you mean "positive reputation" only as it relates to coaching? Because the guy was, simply stated, an elite catcher.

A HOF catcher...regardless of the actual votes. Blyleven isn't in either, so I think some voters are clueless, but in my opinion, he's a HOF catcher.

He liked to do "odd" things like throw to second to get the back runner in a double steal.

Teams double steal with a really great base stealer running for 3rd base. Usually a moderately fast player is taking off towards second. I always wondered why catchers wouldn't try to catch the slower runner at 2nd rather than the fast runner at 3rd. Especially with two outs.

As far as not seeing Ted "doing his work" stealing signs, I am gald I haven't seen it yet. The last thing I want is for FSN to broadcast to everyone that Ted is trying to steal signs.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

A HOF catcher...regardless of the actual votes. Blyleven isn't in either, so I think some voters are clueless, but in my opinion, he's a HOF catcher.

Amen to that. I think all the frustrations that pop up in debates on players involving counting stats probably have played a role in Ted's ridiculous non-induction. If Ted Simmons isn't a HoFer, we need new HoF standards.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Simmons was certainly a great player but great players don't necessarily make great, or even good, managers. Simmons has spent his time since retirement in front offices, he's never managed at any level, never even coached until this year. I'd rather give Sedar the chance if they boot Ned. I know that won't happen but I don't know that Ted is any better than Ned.

Archived