Brewer Fanatic

Value of Simmons?

Hopefully getting acclimated and taking notes for when he takes over the team? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'll second this.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

How do you measure the success of a bench coach? I have no idea, I guess.

I would guess the only way you could know this would be to be in the clubhouse and see which decisions are Yost's and which ones Simmons suggests. Or to hear the player(s) give credit to the bench coach for something.

~Nottso

i had to ask someone at work if he actually came back with the team from ST. I may have seen him a couple times in the dugout and at that a good 20' away from Yost's perch in the corner of the dugout. Also the times that i see him he is never talking to anyone, just sitting there by himself. It is like he is the person that would come to your class in school and just "observe" the teacher teaching.

Given Ted is Ned's friend.

Why is their some assumption he is the solution, when he may be part of the problem?

I think it's only fair to ask this question. I'm obviously very anti-Ned, but I'm willing to concede that Simmons may be part of the problem, and until we know something for sure, we really can't know. But I also think that if Simmons is causing some sort of problem, it's on Ned to fix it, and that doesn't seem to be happening either.

I have to admit that I don't know a whole lot about Simmons, so would someone here with more insight fill in the blanks for me a little? I recall a thread back when Simmons got hired that a lot of people just assumed he was there to take over for Ned midseason. All I really know about him is that he was the GM of the Pirates for a year or two and obviously he was a Brewer in his playing days. I guess I'm just curious where all the excitement about him came from.

~Nottso

I have a great view of the Brewers dugout and Simmons is always up leaning on the rail when the other team is up. Being known as a great sign stealer I can tell he is looking at the 3rd base coach trying to read him. As Simmons says his job is to think 3 or 4 steps ahead of Ned to help him for his later moves. As for Gagne's meltdown that blame has to go to Gagne and if not him at Melvin for getting the post roid Gagne instead of the dominant one on roids. Lack of clutch hitting and Gagne's ineptness is what has this team in their funk!

Verified Member
I see the Yost - Simmons relationship similar to the Brenley - Yount relationship was in Arizona. When they fired Brenley, Yount resigned. I think if Ned is fired Ted will resign also.

I see the Yost - Simmons relationship similar to the Brenley - Yount relationship was in Arizona. When they fired Brenley, Yount resigned. I think if Ned is fired Ted will resign also.

Yeah -- I tend to agree with this. I think Simmons has enough pull that had DM wanted Simmons to be the manager Yost would have been fired. I think Simmons primary function is to give Ned ideas, and probably is a presence in the dugout that kids like Braun & Fielder need -- i.e. a borderline HOFer that played at a high level, rather than guys like Yost/Sveum.

I would not be surprised at all if Simmons bails out as well, if Yost gets canned.

I thought Simmons was supposed to be around to do some interviews and take some of the pressure off of Yost. I have seen very little from Simmons as far as interviews go.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived