Brewer Fanatic

Ugh...I hate doing this.

Paul77

I've got one of those in my office. She basically still has a job for two reasons and two reasons only. 1.) we have to much work and it would waste too much time to retrain someone to do what she does (it isnt rocket science, but it would take someone a month or so to get to where she is) and 2.) everyone is sort of afraid of her.

Ultimately it isnt my job to fire her, she works for me but my boss is the one who has to make the call, if it were up to me she'd probably be gone by now because it will only get worse.

So far, no luck. She is avoiding me - no doubt. She works third shift so I was hoping to catch her on her way out of work. Now I'm faced with the prospect of having to intercept her before she goes to work Monday.

Fun times.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I agree with FTJ, use as few words as possible. In my experience when I have to let someone go, they usually know that it is coming which may be why you think she is avoiding you. I try to show as much respect as possible and just have a short conversation with the outgoing person letting them know why they are being let go. Open yourself to questions and let her know that you'd be willing to give her a reference in the future (if she is leaving on somewhat good terms at least) and try to just leave it at that.

Good luck with it, I know it certainly isn't easy.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

"We're gonna be getting rid of these people here. First, Mr. Samir Naga... Naga... Naga... not gonna work here anymore, anyway!"

Or for a more recent example, you could fake fire her ala Michael Scott.

In reality though, nobody enjoys letting people go and there certainly isn't anybody out there that wants to get fired. If it makes it any easier, just remember that it's part of your job and that at the end of the day, you (as a manager) would be the one underperforming if you didn't do it.

There's also a great "Cheers" episode in which Norm becomes his company's designated fire-er (largely because he gets so emotional that the fired employees feel badly for him).

Google tells me that the episode was "The Executive's Executioner" and aired on 3/7/85.

I wish I could go in and fire people, it'd make my job way more enjoyable. Instead, the contingencies dictate that I can't go Gordon Ramsey on anyone. This is a major reason I'm looking for a new job. When you spend all day dealing with the problems of ridiculous people who you can't fire, you start to feel like you're wasting all of your time on nonsense. If I could cut 3 employees loose, my productivity would probably triple.

Well, It's done. I kept it plain and simple. I was expecting lots of drama and arguing on her part but she threw me off my game by staying pretty quite and just saying "ok". She was mad, but stayed calm. She didn't even ask why - which I attribute to her realizing it was coming.

She's done a (documented) sub par job, been given plenty of warnings and, I'm sure, she knew there was a search under way for her replacement. To top it off, she's been having an "inappropriate" relationship with a married co worker for some time now. She was hired and placed in her role long before I even began my job and she worked 3rd shift so this was actually my first real contact with her. Not a cool way to spend the weekend, for either of us. But I'm glad it's done.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Firing people usually sucks. Once in a while there is someone so unpleasant that it doesn't bother you but that's rare. It's probably also part of the reason I'm not a fan of fire the manager/coach to shake things up rationelle. One thing I noticed though is people who get fired seem to be prepared for it. Either they sort of wanted it or they are used to it or something. Glad it went well even if you had it hanging over your head all weekend. Always better to do it on Friday though I'm sure the person getting fired would disagree with that.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived