Brewer Fanatic

Which teams are due for a new logo?

sbrylski

Which teams are due for a new logo? And, if you're feeling adventurous, design one.

Not that I don't like it, but the Orioles seem like their logo goes against logo trends. It's too "realistic."

I could see the Rockies with a redesign. I'm okay with purple because nobody else uses it, but with the Rays going blue, green would be great for the Rockies too.

I'm glad you said the Rockies...they're my #2, with the Marlins very close thereafter

The Pirates, Nationals, and Jays logos are all awful as well; these teams can all (and mostly have done in the past) better

I also hate the A's logo, but it has history, I suppose.

My #1, which I have special hatred for, is the embarrassing and racist Cleveland Indians logo. This still shocks me that people can feel OK rooting for a team with that logo (It shocked me even more when I saw a bunch of white guys with the grinning Indian logo painted on their face last ALDS/ALCS...shades of Jolson and the only time I have ever rooted for the Red Sox).

To end it on a less controversial note, I really love the Brewers logo...I know many find it dull and too close to the "Cheers" logo, but I think it fits like a glove, and the M and barley shaft hat are both appropriate and stylish

A's are fine, and I actually like the Pirates' logo. Jays and Nationals are dumb, I agree, but new enough that I'm guessing a change isn't looming.

I don't think the name "Indians" would need to be changed, but maybe a more tasteful logo would be appropriate. Maybe something like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/rmered/Cleveland-Indians.gif

(Swiped off the sportslogos.net forums.)

Im all for messing with the Yankees colors & logo. Maybe a nice vivid tangerine & ivory colors. They could have those short sox with the balls hanging off the back of them. Maybe a nice shoulder pad to complement everything. Yep I could see it.

if you think the indians are racist, i don't know how the redskins are even allowed to be in the nfl...

Trust me, i know people who root against the Redskins just because of their name. That needs to be changed so bad it's rediculous.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

I could see the Rockies with a redesign. I'm okay with purple because nobody else uses it, but with the Rays going blue, green would be great for the Rockies too.

If I recall correctly from our Coors Field stadium tour a few years ago, the Rockies use purple to pay homage to "purple mountain majesties." So I would be surprised if they switch from that anytime soon.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

No, I really like the Rockies logo and color scheme, personally...it's unique and one of the "cooler" color schemes in sports, IMHO.

I don't care much for the Padres' current logo...it's rather generic, as is their color scheme. Wouldn't mind seeing the Royals maybe tweak their logo a bit, too.

Oh yeah, how long have the Yankees been using that letter thing as their logo? Time to change that. (OK, maybe not).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

When it comes to potentially "racist" mascots and whatnot I'm usually in the camp that feels they shouldn't have to change (The Fighting Illini, Marquette Warriors, etc.) However, the Indians logo is flat out ridiculous. That has to be the most stereotypical logo in all of sports, I can't believe it hasn't changed yet.

I personally think the Giants and Dodgers's logos are quite boring, but they've both been around since 1958 so I doubt they'll change anytime soon.

I'm glad you said the Rockies...they're my #2, with the Marlins very close thereafter

Ironic, isn't it?

the Whitesox need one. Its very early 90's gangbanger

Only by association, though -- imo.

1912-17, 1919-29, 1931 & 1936-38:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1d/Im_cws_logo_1912.gif

I'd post some others with similarities (the descending "S-o-x" has been the primary logo format for the Chi Sox since the early 1900s) to their current logo, but the pics are too big. Here's the link at sportslogos.net. I'd actually love to see them use this one I posted, if my vote mattered.

The Pirates, Nationals, and Jays logos are all awful as well

Sorry, you brought out my inner geek with baseball history/logos. I love the Pirates name & logo, and it wasn't until recently that I learned the genesis of their name. My post is going to be super-long, and I apologize, but I love this team name (excerpt, Wikipedia):

In 1890, they merged with the Players' League franchise in the city after that league folded. Most of the rebel league's player contracts were assigned to National League and American Association clubs, mostly to their previous clubs provided they had been "reserved" by their former teams' owners. Highly regarded second baseman Lou Bierbauer (b-reference.com page),who had previously played with the Philadelphia Athletics of the American Association, was awarded to the Alleghenys on the grounds that the Athletics had not reserved him. This led to loud protests by the Athletics, and in an official complaint, an A.A. official claimed the Alleghenys' actions were "piratical."[3][/sup] This incident (which is discussed at some length in The Beer and Whisky League[/i], by David Nemec, 1994) quickly accelerated into a schism between the leagues that contributed to the demise of the A.A. Although the Alleghenys were never found guilty of wrongdoing, they made sport of being denounced for being "piratical" by renaming themselves "the Pirates" for the 1890 season.[2][/sup] The nickname was first acknowledged on the team's uniforms in 1912. That same season of 1890, the team experienced their worst season record in franchise history going 23-113 [4][/sup].

In 1900, the Pirates picked up several players from the defunct Louisville Colonels club, which shared an owner with Pittsburgh, when the N.L. contracted from 12 to 8 teams after the 1899 season. Despite their nickname, the Pirates at least waited until Louisville had folded, unlike what happened in 1899 to the Cleveland Spiders and, to a lesser extent, the Baltimore Orioles, who were also part of two-team ownerships.

That's such a cool way to get a nickname.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I like our new logo and colors, but I think the merchandise sucks. I have mostly old logo stuff, not on purpose, because it is usually better quality. I don't like screen printed T-shirts because they fade quickly. All my old logo stuff has stitched on letters and logos. I can't find new logo stuff with stitched on letters.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree, the Rangers are one team that have really struggled with a logo and overall look pretty much since the beginning of their existence. It's not like it's completely terrible, but it really isn't very creative or inspiring.

The Rays were #1 on this list before they made their change.

And I would guess that 95% of all minor league teams could use a logo update, but the Snappers are not one of them.

EDIT: I agree with the assessment of the Orioles logo. I don't like the current, likelike version of the bird that they use. I always enjoyed the cartoon bird that they used for years before they went with their current look. I think they have a cartoon version of the bird that is on the jersey sleeve, and think they would be better off returning to that look completely. Overall they don't have a bad look, and it's hard to beat the orange and black color combo.

I also agree that the lack of the use of purple makes the Rockies more distinctive, although I don't really like the font they use. Plus, I'm a little surprised a team out there hasn't switched to the power blue look similar to UNC and UCLA like the Nuggets and Chargers have recently. The Royals re-introduced their retro alternate power blue jersey, but being called the Royals would kind of prevent them from making the more permanent color switch.

Community Moderator

-Chicago Cubs. I think their "C" logo is ugly, although their pinstripe jerseys are good looking. They should also consider ditching having "cubbies" as their mascot.

-The Royals should have left the baby blue in the 80's.

-The Jays should bring back their old logo with the new colors

-More teams should consider the vest-like uniforms that the Reds/Pirates sometimes wear.

-The Detroit Tigers have the best uniforms/hat logo in baseball

I'm not sure why the Cleveland Indians' logo is acceptable or why there isn't more outcry about it. It symbolizes our country's long (and continuing) history of marginalizing Native Americans.

Archived