Brewer Fanatic

No choice now... (Sheets extension)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would sure rather get something for him if we are 7-8 games out at the break and going nowhere than put on a good face and act like we're still in it. I don't think we can go into the off-season with an unsigned Sheets. Either lock him up, or sadly, send him out and start thinking about 2009. I hope they sign him.

Any thoughts as to whether this is going to be a "wait-'till-the deadline" situation? Obviously the answer depends on the home-heavy June results, and, to an extent, on what happens injury-wise for teams we know will be buyers/contenders.

I'd really like for the Brewers to extend him, but I just don't see how they can't trade him if they don't, even if they rebound to within 2-3 games by the deadline. Just too much value there to end up with nothing, though any playoff chances without him are drastically reduced, there are just too many other variables to consider in that equation than a guy who pitches once every 4-5 days down the stretch.

• 3 months later...

I would seriously give Sheets anything right now IF he pitches a full healthy season. I rather spend money on an ace than a DH like Prince Fielder on an NL team.
Has everyone forgotten Ben Sheets career with the Milwaukee Brewers? He has always been injury prone and always will be. We need to trade him now (or later in the year) while his value is at it's peak. We can't afford to be throwing 10's of millions @ injury prone pitchers....period.
Looks like I got it right. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Just wanted everyone to take a little peak at this beautiful thread. Retractions anyone?

Have a little foresight people.

Nothing has changed. I still don't want to sign him longterm, I still don't think he is all that high risk for major injury. I still think Brewer management is more to blame for the injury issues he's had than Sheets himself.

Not surprising to me at all that the year he pitches way too many innings is followed by an injury, we bring him back earlier than expected and it is aggravated and then Yost pitches him 110+ pitches a game while he has arm soreness when he should have been on a pretty tight pitch limit and he has issues again.

Well as I view it, the choice now is:

1. Pay Sheets an inflated amount for one more year (via arbitration) which given his injury status he'd be smart to accept.

2. Offer him an incentive laden shorter term contract for lesser guaranteed dollars in 09.

3. Kiss him and the 2 draft picks goodbye by not offering arby because if you don't want to risk having to pay him if he accepts arby, you have no choice.

Greg Vaughn, I'm glad that makes you smile, but where do you think we'd be if we didn't have his 196 innings and 2.98 era this season. He has been a true ace, and I really hope that he can finish out the season. I would love to see him re-signed so he can finish his career w/ the crew.

Take the two picks and run. His lack of durability or toughness will never go away.
I hope that they don't look at injury history when they decide if it is a class A FA OR Class B FA...

The two picks aren't even guaranteed at this point. If Sheets needs surgery we are pretty much screwed because Sheets might actually accept arbitration since he realizes the demand for him if he needs surgery is pretty limited.

fondybrewerfan is right, you have to offer him arbitration to get 2 picks. If he's damaged goods, he'd be likely to accept the arby number if offered. Cubs tried to hold on to Prior in somewhat similar situation with a very modest 2 year offer where they lowballed him the 2nd year.

Prior gambled he'd come back this year and ended up with a $1 million deal from Padres. In retrospect Prior should have taken the Cub deal which would have been worth $3.5 million or so as I recall.

I would love to see him re-signed so he can finish his career w/ the crew.

You would.

Yes, I would. He has never had a major injury, has averaged 178 innings a season in his 8 year career, and over his last four injury prone seasons, he still has averaged 150 innings a season. He gives the Brewers a good chance to win every time he goes to the mound. If anything, this might allow us to sign him for less than he would have previously signed for. The only way I wouldn't sign him long term would be if there is something structuraly wrong w/ his arm and he needs major surgery, but he has still shown me enough where I would sign him to an incentive based deal hoping that he would come back from his injury . By the way, I love the two word reply.

Sheets is the same as Brett Favre. Shows you flash and splash, brilliant talent, dazzles us all with moments of pure greatness - and just when you think this is it, culmination of of all that promise, el foldo. Sayonara.
Not quite the same...Brett has a ring.

I don't want him. Let him go somewhere else. It's fine with it and I wish him the best. Someone said earlier that he's like Brett Favre...I agree.

I just want him out. I done. We can better spend his money towards a new dominant closer or 3B. See ya Sheets. Thanks for all good times. But please go to the AL so we don't have to face ya. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived