Brewer Fanatic

All about Ben Sheets

MBHA

I thought it was a good article, but I take issue with the last line:

"Plain and simple, he has a lot of motion to control with his rotator cuff, which leads to his frequent injuries."

His analysis seams sound (I'm certainly not in any position to challenge it) but does he really know if that kind of delivery translates into more injuries to pitchers in the majors? I've never seen any studies that actually tried to prove any of these biomechanical studies that are floating on the web these days. The proof is in the pudding.

And even if we presume that he is correct about Sheets' delivery having the potential to lead to more injuries, does he really know whether, in this particular case, Sheets' injuries were caused by his mechanics? Pitchers can have perfect mechanics and still get hurt, so I'm not comfortable with simply assuming that their is a connection.

It might sound like I'm nitpicking but I think it's important not to presume things to be correct just because they sound correct. Yes, that includes sabermetric analysis as well. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wonder if Sheets had a more traditional delivery, how good would he even be? No more unique movement on his fastball and no more 12-6 curve? I wonder.

Well, in the recent article on Gallardo from THT, the author said that Gallardo's delivery will prevent injuries. Now he's injured.

So maybe talking about how Sheets' delivery will cause injuries will keep him from being injured? Please? Alex, if you're reading this, we need a reverse jinx for the rest of our rotation and preferably all of our position players http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived