Brewer Fanatic

Cubs moving to Milwaukee?

It appears inevitable that Wrigley Field will have to be closed for extensive renovations at some point in the next decade. The Cubs likely would share U.S. Cellular Field with the White Sox on the South Side for at last a year, although playing in Milwaukee apparently also is an option.

Philadelpiha Daily News

EDIT: Fixed link - b19

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would suck to put up with Cubs fans, but I think it would be nice for Milwaukee and Wisconsin if they came up here for 81 games and got stupid with their money in our hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. The city could use it.

Hmm, it would be interesting to have rivals from the same division playing in the same city for a year. I know I'd go to every Brewers "road" game and I'd probably go to some others just to root against the Cubs.

That said, this should not happen. I would not want our home to be the home of that team for one day much less a full year.

Verified Member
I can't see this happening. When Yankee Stadium was being remodeled for 2 years the Yankees played all their home games at Shea Stadium without an issue with the Mets schedule. I see the same for the Cubs, White Sox and US. Cellular Field.

I can't even fathom why this would be considered. They should share US Cellular with the Sox, end of story. Just need to work out the schedule so that they're never in town at the same time. Shouldn't be too difficult, what with these newfangled computers and such.

I'm sure there would be some complaints about the field being torn up from having 162 games played on it instead of 81. But if that's the case, just make the Cubs pay for new sod and whatever else is needed to keep the field in tip-top shape. It's their fault we have to deal with this anyway.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Any opportunity for increased revenue should be jumped on....not to mention its a good chance to see more baseball and root against the Cubs!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'd guess that the likeliest option would involve the Cubs playing the majority of their home games at U.S. Cellular with maybe a few weekend series in Milwaukee if there's a conflict. I can't see Chicago, and all the taverns there, or the State of Illinois wanting to lose 81 home games.

Robert

I'll bet that the Cubs may play around 20 games at Miller Park. Can you imagine the scenario if the Cubs played a full 81 at Miller Park? Baseball nonstop from April 1-September 30! It's highly, highly unlikely, IMO.

Verified Member
Maybe...For ONE BILLION DOLLARS! Aint gonna happen.. MA knows the PR hit this would cause, it maybe only 1 season, but he's got the hometown crowd for years to worry about..

Imagine all of that baseball for a summer!! Especially if we good factor in a Brewers discount and get tickets for each game for $10 like the Indians vs Angels series. I'd probably have to come up with some kind of reason, injury, disease something to have that whole summer off of work.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

It would be awesome to have a full stadium rooting against them for one of their home games.

True dat. However, should a scenario like this come to pass, the cubs would presumably have to find a way to accommodate their season ticket holders. I doubt there would be a general public free-for-all for tickets - not if more than a series' worth of games is involved.

Let's do it...for Fukudome, Soto and Marmol. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I remember there being a thread about this subject a couple of years ago. A reporter had asked Michael Barrett during a Cubs series at Miller Park about possible future renovations of Wrigley Field. The reporter suggested the Cubs might have to play at U.S. Cellular, and Barrett's response was something like, "Nah, we'd play here." The author of the thread was quite displeased with Barrett's perceived arrogance.

Does anyone else remember this?

Edit: Found a blog referencing the article:

Cubs catcher Michael Barrett believes Wrigley Field can survive into 2057, but he suggested a major renovation that could jar traditionalists. "Ideally, especially for this time of year, you'd like to see a dome put on the outside of it," Barrett said. "Don't change anything about Wrigley Field. Just reinforce it and have a dome covering it. "It's been nice to play these games here [in Milwaukee]. I'd hate to lose that tradition of going to Wrigley, the ivy on the wall and all that. I'd hate for something to happen to Wrigley Field." Of course, the Cubs would have to move out for a year or two, much as the New York Yankees moved to Shea Stadium during renovations to Yankee Stadium in the 1970s. But would Cubs fans tolerate going down to U.S. Cellular Field, even for a couple of years? "No, we'd play here," Barrett said, referring to Miller Park, also known as Wrigley North.
Gruber Lawffices

Community Moderator

the thing is, we're already having trouble with the grass at Miller Park with 81 games as it is. If we add 81 more, they'd be playing on either dead grass or fresh sod that hasn't had a chance to root, resulting in more torn ACLs and other assorted injuries.

No thanks.

(yeah, I might be bitter about the ACL thing, but even without that comment, my point about the grass problems is spot on.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Back when the Mets and Yankees played together at Shea in the mid 70's, doubleheaders were much more common. Looking it up on baseball-reference, there were 19 double headers at Shea in 1974 and 15 in 1975. The ideal these days would be zero. That means if the Cubs played all of their games at US Cellular, they would need to block out 162 days out of a possible 179 (taking 3 out for the all-star break) Day-night DH's for make-up would be a possiblity, but having each team play on the same day would be real problematic except in an emergency.

I suspect the logistics would be much easier if they played one series a month in Milwaukee (18 games), making 144 dates work at the Cell would be much easier than 162.

the thing is, we're already having trouble with the grass at Miller Park with 81 games as it is. If we add 81 more, they'd be playing on either dead grass or fresh sod that hasn't had a chance to root, resulting in more torn ACLs and other assorted injuries.
I am pretty sure they are already talking about switching to the grass/turf combination they is being used at Lambeau Field.

Archived