Brewer Fanatic

Unbelivable

ELCABALLO45

Community Moderator
yeah, I read about that on another board. Quite the sports(wo)manship, if I may say so. Must have been just horrible for the coach, teammates, fans, parents to see the girl have to crawl in agony back to the bag. And then to see opponents do what they did to give everybody a memory that they'll never forget.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

The funny thing is that those umpires were idiots. Replacing an injured player with a pinch runner after a home run is allowed. This story should never have had to happen. Those umps should be disciplined for risking that woman's health with their ignorance.

Otherwise, it is a very nice story.

Verified Member

That's a terrific gesture, and something that should be celebrated.

Those players are inspirational, and it feels strange, as I've spent some time recently posting on the Costas Now thread about a fan's right to express displeasure, by booing, etc.

This deserves cheers that ring out into the night.

a "Possible" Torn Ligament. WHOA. I wonder if this woman is an acting major at Portland State. What the other girls did is what was "heroic" but this girl should have crawled the bases or limped thru them. I have torn ligaments, and yes, it hurts like crazy - but if you love the game and thats your first home run, you can find a way to get around the bases.

Id be saying the same thing if it were a guy.

Everybody screwed up. I was listening to the Unit on Wednesday and his intern pointed out rule 8.5.3.2 listed here. It looks like the ball should have been dead where it was (over the fence) and a PR brought in who could then go BACK, touch first, and touch all the other awarded bases. Seems pretty clear to me.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Yah, but then we wouldn't have had this weepy, emotional story! Millions of Washington women's softball players can be moved and hope that if one day they forget to touch first base and screw up their knee, someone will carry them home even though they don't need to. It's lovely.

Kudos to the gal for hitting a HR, and her opponents for doing the right thing.

I had a discussion the other day with some co-workers about what game you would pay $5000 to be at (if you were assured of the outcome, and that the game would be a good one), and first we talking about famous championship games -- but then interestingly we veered to games such as this, and many of us settled on being at the game where that autistic kid starting canning all of those 3pointers. In retrospect I would have dropped a lot of money to be at that game and be a part of what happened there.

Don't take away from the fine gesture made by the opposition.

Obviously, nobody really knew a PR could be used in that case.

What the other team did in a playoff situation did was very admirable and sportsman like, if they knew the rule or not.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Oh sure, I understand. I didn't want to take away from what the team did on their own, it isn't their job to know ALL the rules. No mattter what SHOULD have happened, the result was epic.

"We didn't know that she was a senior or that this was her first home run," Wallace said Wednesday. "That makes the story more touching than it was. We just wanted to help her."

This makes it even more awesomeness-er.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member

Isn't it pointed out in the story that if a pinch-runner was used, she would be given a single? The run would have scored but she would not have been credited with a home run. Am I the only one that read the whole article?

For Western Oregon coach Pam Knox, the gesture resolved the dilemma Tucholsky's injury presented.

"She was going to kill me if we sub and take (the home run) away. But at the same time I was concerned for her. I didn't know what to do," Knox said.

Archived