Brewer Fanatic

Dillon Called Up, Turnbow DFA (Update: Turnbow reports to Nashville M 5/12... see reply #132)

The Ramirez thing was in the off season and several years ago...but the whether the intent was to send him to AAA is not a factor (I think).

That and the Ramirez thing happened in 2003 -- there have been new labor agreements in place since then.

There are essentially 3 waiver periods -- Feb. to 30th day of the season -- 31st day of season to end of July -- End of July to February. The rules and waivers are different in each period.

Would the Brewers actually think there is any possibility of keeping Turnbow and sending him to AAA, if another team can pick him up for $400K?

Probably not, thus the urgency to try and trade Turnbow.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll take one hit, 4 BB, and one run in 3 innings any day of the week. All things being equal, the walks aren't going to be damaging if you don't give up hits and strike guys out.

endaround beat me to what I wanted to say. McClung's performance (& my question) had nothing to do with Suppan's performance, and little to do with the fact that Seth only gave up one run.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Verified Member

The following explanation of the waiver rules is from Red Sox Director of Baseball Operations Brian O'Halloran,

I'd like to keep the myth of a "waiver wire" alive, but the reality is as follows: every weekday (and weekends during Spring Training), the 30 clubs receive a waiver request bulletin electronically from MLB. The bulletin is simply a document that lists the players on waivers that day. Clubs have until 1 p.m. Eastern two business days later (again, including Saturday and Sunday during Spring Training only) to put in a claim, which is done electronically through MLB's central computer system. Claims are then processed at that point in order of priority, which is based on winning percentage, with the lowest percentage team getting the highest priority. In other words it is not a first come first served process.

There are four types of waivers, as follows:

Outright waivers - these waivers are used to position a club to remove a player from the 40-man roster (to "outright" him off the roster as opposed to optioning him to the minors, in which case he stays on the roster). Outright waivers are irrevocable, meaning that if a team asks these waivers on a player and he is claimed, it does not have the right to "revoke" the waivers and pull him back.

Optional waivers - these waivers used to position a club to option certain players. Most young players do not need any waivers in effect in order to be optioned. However, if a player first reported to Major League club more than three years from the date of the contemplated option, he requires waivers to be optioned. These waivers are revocable, and securing them is typically a formality.

Trade assignment waivers - these are the waivers used after the July 31 trade deadline. No player may be traded between August 1 and September 30 without trade waivers in effect. Trade waivers are revocable. Clubs ask trade waivers on many players during this period in order to increase their pool of potentially tradable players after the July 31 deadline. If a player gets claimed, the waivers are automatically withdrawn (revoked) unless the original team does not indicate otherwise to MLB within two days after the claim.

Unconditional release waivers - as the name indicates, these waivers are used to release a player from the organization. They are irrevocable. The cost of an unconditional release claim is $1, whereas the cost of most other claims is $20,000 (some are $25,000, but that is a longer explanation). If a player is claimed off of unconditional release waivers, he has the right to accept or reject the claim within five days. If he rejects the claim, he becomes a free agent, but forfeits the rest of his previously stipulated salary. If he accepts the claim, the new team pays him under the same contract he was playing under with his previous team.

Source: Speaker Series: Brian O'Halloran

(added link; please cite sources --1992)

Outright waivers - these waivers are used to position a club to remove a player from the 40-man roster (to "outright" him off the roster as opposed to optioning him to the minors, in which case he stays on the roster). Outright waivers are irrevocable, meaning that if a team asks these waivers on a player and he is claimed, it does not have the right to "revoke" the waivers and pull him back.

This is the one that pertains to Turnbow -- at least if the Brewers have any intention of hanging onto Turbow. I think they DFA'd Turnbow on Friday -- then there is a seven day period where DM can try to trade Turnbow and a 3 day period where Turnbow sits on the waiver wire.

So basically if the Brewers try to send to Nashville they run the risk of Turnbow being claimed, and paying $2.7M of his contract. If they unconditionally release Tbow, then they pay him to sit at home his full contract - unless some team wants to spend $3.2 to take a chance on him.

I just don't see how the Brewers get out of paying Tbow's contract.

On the MLBTradeRumors website, it mentions the Mets might be interested in Turnbow. They are also down on Aaron Heilman. The fans are letting him have it, and there is talk of sending him down. I've liked this guy for years now and I'd love to see DM get him in the fold.

I'm sure they wouldn't do Turnbow for Heilman straight up, but maybe if we added in TGJ they'd bite?

Verified Member

No team claimed Turnbow off of waviers and he has accepted an assignment to Nashville.

The Milwaukee Brewers today outrighted pitcher Derrick Turnbow to Class AAA Nashville.

He will report on Monday.

In eight outings this season, Turnbow is 0-1 with a 15.63 ERA, allowing 12 hits, 13 walks and 11 runs in 6 1/3 innings. The opposition is batting .414 against him.

Turnbow was an all-star closer for the Brewers in 2006.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/05/09/turnbow-accepts-class-aaa-assignment.aspx

Community Moderator

well, hopefully a couple of months will get him straightened out. If not, he's probably done with baseball.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing him back on the big club if he goes down for 2-3 months and puts up lights out numbers, (re-)discovers his stuff (i.e. movement on pitches), and gets things right in his head. Oh, and he has to promise to pitch like 2005 when he returns, too.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

No team claimed Turnbow off of waviers and he has accepted an assignment to Nashville.

This makes me think that the mysterious waiver rules would have meant anyone claiming him would have to pay his salary. Surely someone would have taken a chance on him if they were only on the hood for $400K, wouldn't they?

This makes me think that the mysterious waiver rules would have meant anyone claiming him would have to pay his salary

The rules are not really mysterious -- it is spelled out rather clearly on Cot's salary page, all of his source documentation is listed as well. I wish people would take the time to either read Cot's page, and if they remain unconvinced, read the source documents rather than make assumptions.

Surely someone would have taken a chance on him if they were only on the hood for $400K, wouldn't they?

Turnbow had 13 BBs and 12 hits in 6IP -- and the reason the innings are so small, is that he could not end innings.

I don't think any team would want to put Turnbow on their major league roster anytime soon, so why would you sign a guy for $400K to pitch in AAA for most if not all of the season. Turnbow is going to have to pitch a lot of solid innings in AAA before a team is going to want to take a chance on him.

I suspect teams will sign him to a minor league deal this off-season. I think someone will give him another chance, but only at the minor league level.

It probably has to do with timing and being this early in the season if anything. It is so early that everyone is still in it if they can catch fire; so why take chances with a gas can like Turnbow who can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory on any given night.

Had this been in July or August when teams know what their fate is (and most of his salary paid), then someone who is out of it (or a contender who is really desperate) would more than likely have claimed him.

Archived