Brewer Fanatic

Dillon Called Up, Turnbow DFA (Update: Turnbow reports to Nashville M 5/12... see reply #132)

False. The claiming team takes on the league minimum.

From Cot's page:

# A club wishing to send a player designated for assignment to the minor leagues must first place him on irrevocable outright waivers, making him available to the other 29 clubs in reverse order of won-lost record.

* If the player is claimed, he is lost to the claiming team for $20,000. (Irrevocable waivers may not be reversed.) The claiming team pays the player the major-league minimum salary for the rest of the season, and the original club is responsible for the balance of his contract.

Well, if that's the case, then I'd say the only way we'll see him in MP again would probably be in another team's uniform. Given the releiver shortage out there, someone will think they can fix him, won't they (I'm looking at you Hank Stienbrenner)?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McClung has pitched very nicely, sans a 2 inning outing versus the Reds in which the the Crew "punted", and let their long man take a beating, which is the job of a pitcher once in a while (ask Suppan). Marquis was asked to do this a couple years ago, and some were unable to comprehend the difference, but the Cubs were not.

When a team claims a player they take on his contract.

From Cot's page:

# A club wishing to send a player designated for assignment to the minor leagues must first place him on irrevocable outright waivers, making him available to the other 29 clubs in reverse order of won-lost record.

* If the player is claimed, he is lost to the claiming team for $20,000. (Irrevocable waivers may not be reversed.) The claiming team pays the player the major-league minimum salary for the rest of the season, and the original club is responsible for the balance of his contract.

Why didn't anybody claim Manny Ramirez, then? Or is it different if the player isn't DFA'd?

Verified Member
McClung isn't suited for anything. His ERA reflects how well he's pitched, and thats been poorly.

we saw exactly mc clung is on the roster wednesday night. he is the man for that job

Why didn't anybody claim Manny Ramirez, then? Or is it different if the player isn't DFA'd?

I am not sure what you are referring to?

Turnbow has to be put on irrevocable waivers -- which means the team can't pull Turnbow off the table.

I am sure Ramirez has never been put on irrevocable waivers -- otherwise some team would surely claim him.

I am sure Ramirez has been put on waivers before the trading deadline (for example), but in that case Boston could yank him back if the Dodgers claimed Ramirez.

McClung has pitched very nicely, sans a 2 inning outing versus the Reds in which the the Crew "punted", and let their long man take a beating, which is the job of a pitcher once in a while (ask Suppan). Marquis was asked to do this a couple years ago, and some were unable to comprehend the difference, but the Cubs were not.

And except for the Marlins game where he gave up a home run and walked a man. And the latest Cubs game where he walked 4 in 3 innings

When a team claims a player they take on his contract.

From Cot's page:

McClung isn't suited for anything. His ERA reflects how well he's pitched, and thats been poorly.

Agreed here -- McClung is still walking way too many batters (7 per 9 IP) --- his career is just under 6. He really should never pitch in any game the Brewers hope to win. He hasn't been the debacle that Turnbow has been, but he just isn't a good pitcher.

Hmmm, according brewers.mlb.com:

They elected to designate Turnbow for assignment, giving the team 10 days to trade him (unlikely, given Turnbow's $3.2 million salary), release him or assign him to the Minors. Turnbow has the right to refuse such an assignment, though he would forfeit his remaining salary.
This doesn't mention anything about placing him on irrevocable waivers in order to DFA him.

And except for the Marlins game where he gave up a home run and walked a man. And the latest Cubs game where he walked 4 in 3 innings

By that logic every relief pitcher on the Brewers staff - short of Mitch Stetter - is not suitable for anything. And is pitching poorly. My guess is 80% of the relief pitchers on any staff would be deemed as such.

Let's see:

When McClung entered the Marlins game, Riske, Turnbow, Stetter, Mota, and Gagne had already pitched in that game. Torres had pitched two innings the night before, and the Marlins had right-handed hitters coming up that inning. There was nobody left to pitch those innings except for their mop up guy, the fact that their "worst" reliever gave up a run shouldn't surprise anyone. It's tough to win a game when your offense scores 2 runs in 10 innings no matter who's pitching for you. Not going to jump all over McClung for losing that game by any means.

The 2nd Cubs game is exactly the reason why McClung is valuable to this team - as long as he can give you multiple innings to keep the rest of the bullpen fresh (the relievers the Brewers need to count on to win games), I'm fine with him getting hit around or walking a few guys...just finish the innings you start. Turnbow couldn't even pitch a full inning in a meaningless situation.

This doesn't mention anything about placing him on irrevocable waivers in order to DFA him.

He would have to clear irrevocable waivers to play in Nashville -- not to be traded or release him, or be DFA'd

I think this is how it would play out, (assuming there is no trade)...

1.) Brewers tell Turnbow they want to send him to AAA.

2a.) Turnbow tells the Brewers to pound sand -- he gets his release, and forfeits his salary -- (I can't imagine he would do this)

OR

2b.) Turnbow accepts the assignment to AAA, and then the Brewers put him on irrevocable waivers.

3.) At this point any team could claim Tbow, they would pay the Brewers $20K, and then pay $390K (league min.) of Tbow's salary. If no teams are interested, Tbow then reports to AAA, and he continues getting his $3.2M contract.

By that logic every relief pitcher on the Brewers staff - short of Mitch Stetter - is not suitable for anything.

I agree with this - outside of Stetter, the Brewers BP is walking WAY too many batters. As a unit the Brewers relievers are walking 5.8 batters per 9 innings (most other bad teams are around 4.8, NL ave = ~4.0, Cubs are just over 3) --which explains their collective 4.73 ERA.

If this trend continues throughout the year, we are in big trouble.

Mickey, thanks for the scoop and NO ONE should feel sorry for this guy, as a fan we should be caring about results, not how nice of a guy these players are (unless you know them personally).

Perfectly said, let's worry about ending our 25 year embarassment first and then get all luvvy-duvvy, bleeding-heart with our players after that. Being a fan doesn't mean grandma-esque coddling, gushing, and reassurance. Personally, I've been waiting for this day for years. I hated the contract he was signed to, and expressed my opinion as such at the time. Turnbow has always been erratic, inconsistent, scared, smoke&mirrors, lucky, and way over his head. It caught up to him a while ago, and just now we've finally done something about it. See ya.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I am not sure what you are referring to?

Turnbow has to be put on irrevocable waivers -- which means the team can't pull Turnbow off the table.

I am sure Ramirez has never been put on irrevocable waivers -- otherwise some team would surely claim him.

I am sure Ramirez has been put on waivers before the trading deadline (for example), but in that case Boston could yank him back if the Dodgers claimed Ramirez.

They did, IIRC it was right around the time they were trying to trade for A-Rod:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1650053

Derrick Turnbow's opponent batting line from 2007: .183 .315 .266 (ba/obp/slg). His 3 year line is .211 .320 .337

I expect that Derrick will find success again at some point in the major leagues, but it will not be in Milwaukee. He definately needs a change of scenery at this point. I cannot dispute that he is terrible at the moment.

Remember when we all rejoiced when Glendon Rusch was run out of town after his brutal 2003 in Milwaukee. The next year he rebounded in Chicago, and gave the Cubs 130 innings with a 3.47 ERA.

I wish Derrick luck....as long as he lands in the A.L.

McClung has pitched very nicely, sans a 2 inning outing versus the Reds in which the the Crew "punted", and let their long man take a beating, which is the job of a pitcher once in a while (ask Suppan).

He pitched 2 innings in that game and pitched poorly. I don't think it's OK to just ignore that performance, just because the Brewers were losing 7-3 at the time he was put into the game. When you start selectively taking out certain performances, you end with the statement, "Yeh, but when he's not pitching bad, he's pitching good."

McClung has pitched 11-2/3 inning so far and has walked 9 batters. He currently has a WHIP of 1.63 which, surprise, matches is career WHIP perfectly. In short time in the majors, he has not been very good and this year has been no exception. Pehaps he has the tools to suceed in the majors but he hasn't shown it yet in his short career.

3.) At this point any team could claim Tbow, they would pay the Brewers $20K, and then pay $390K (league min.) of Tbow's salary.
Don't the Brewers have to pay the difference between what the other team is paying, and his guaranteed salary? I thought this had been pointed out for the whole Frank Thomas debacle.

If anything, Turnbow's failing was a combination of lack of stuff and overexposure. If your only skill is hurling a baseball at 95 miles and hour in the general direction of the plate, sooner or later batters will figure out a way to hit it.

There's a chance Turnbow might be able to figure out how to get AAA batters out, but I'm not very confident that any adjustments made in AAA would have relevance against real hitters.

There's a chance Turnbow might be able to figure out how to get AAA batters out, but I'm not very confident that any adjustments made in AAA would have relevance against real hitters.

I think Turnbow's problem will be that the AAA strike zone is the same size as the MLB strike zone.

Archived