Brewer Fanatic

Dillon Called Up, Turnbow DFA (Update: Turnbow reports to Nashville M 5/12... see reply #132)

Yost probably manages better when he has less choices to make. With two more bench players than we had last week he'll be more easily confused. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And although McClung has been okay as of late I would still rather have Bush in our pen.

I agree -- McClung can be a mop-up guy like in the Suppan game, but the team still needs a quality long-relief guy to pitch in games where Parra can only go 4-5 innings, but the Brewers are still in the game -- which has been pretty much all of Parra's starts.

A quality LR would also hopefully mean less pitchers will be needed to pick up innings.

although it had to be done, its still a sad day. he was my favorite brewer since he was named the closer in 05 and i have been hoping that he would around. When you can't bring him in even a blowout to save your pen, something had to be done.

"Melvin can trade him to a team..."

I can't think of any team out there that would want him. Even the indy leagues would think twice.

"So being one of the best set up men in baseball really hurt the Brewers."

You must be one of those fans that stops watching the Brewers when the Packers start playing.

if all a team has to pay is $400k as stated above to get turnbow - there will be LOTS of teams that will take a chance on him. he was an allstar closer short time ago - and his problems are more mental than physical. why not take a $400k chance?? the brewers took a $10 million dollar chance on their closer for this year...

No way he refuses the assignment and gives up his salary. So there is a half way decent chance we see him back in Milwaukee, which I have no problem with provided he goes to AAA and works out his problems.

if all a team has to pay is $400k as stated above to get turnbow - there will be LOTS of teams that will take a chance on him.

I tend to agree -- The Brewers signed Jeff Weaver after all. Hopefully there will be more than one team interested, so DM can get some leverage in salary relief.

Yup I to just read the blog. It is now a reality, Turnbow DFA and Dillon backup to provide another bat. Wow, a team with only 12 pitchers? How will we survive?

The Brewers have only had 12 pitchers. Turnbow proved he didn't count as a pitcher.

I had hoped his decent job in getting the save would have turned things around for him, but instead he looks so turned around that he needs google maps to find home plate.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
And although McClung has been okay as of late I would still rather have Bush in our pen.
With Turnbow gone McClung could now serve in middle relief where he's best suited. I'd guess it won't be long before Bush returns.

Mickey, thanks for the scoop and NO ONE should feel sorry for this guy, as a fan we should be caring about results, not how nice of a guy these players are (unless you know them personally).

Previous poster stated we're not paying over $10 million in "dead money", WOW

Mickey any chance your guy in the organization can get you any trade rumors http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

GO BREW

McClung isn't suited for anything. His ERA reflects how well he's pitched, and thats been poorly.

Agreed, I can't believe Bush will be in AAA for long. He should be our long man and McLung should take the path of Turnblow.

This is proof of the Podsednik rule: trade the older player as soon as he has a decent year. Clark and Turnbow should've been dealt immediately following their break out years. Melvin knows better but for some strange reason didn't follow up. It costs money to make such mistakes, and more importantly it cost production and losses.

On the other hand, I'm rooting for Turnblow to comeback and beat us ala Wes Helms. Anyone who has to put up with that much stick deserves some decent Karma down the road.

I feel sorry for Turnbow. I had fond memories of him. After his first save, before he was named our offical closer, I picked him up in my fantasy league. Probably the best move I've ever made. He was a rock star for a year or so. I hope he gets a chance to fix his head for some AL team. But the writing was on the wall to move him off the Brewers 25.

Dillon was probably picked because he can play more positions than Branyan. That is probably more important to an NL bench player than power potential.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

A semi wildcard in this is Weaver. If he's still in Nashville in June he can get his release and sign elsewhere. If he sucks down there it doesn't matter. If he pitches well Melvin may want to bring him up to hold onto him.

Weaver made his first start last night for Nashville. He gave up 4 runs in 6 innings, not very good. But he struck out 7. We'll see how (if) he progresses.

Mickey, thanks for the scoop and NO ONE should feel sorry for this guy, as a fan we should be caring about results, not how nice of a guy these players are (unless you know them personally).

Speak for yourself...as a fan I root not just for the uniform or for the results--if so I should just watch simulated games on the computer--but for the people and the personalities as well.

Does that mean I was happy with Turnbow's recent results? Absolutely not, but I wasn't angry with his effort, either. He just lost his control.

When a team claims a player they take on his contract.

False. The claiming team takes on the league minimum.

From Cot's page:

# A club wishing to send a player designated for assignment to the minor leagues must first place him on irrevocable outright waivers, making him available to the other 29 clubs in reverse order of won-lost record.

* If the player is claimed, he is lost to the claiming team for $20,000. (Irrevocable waivers may not be reversed.) The claiming team pays the player the major-league minimum salary for the rest of the season, and the original club is responsible for the balance of his contract.

McClung isn't suited for anything. His ERA reflects how well he's pitched, and thats been poorly.

Agreed here -- McClung is still walking way too many batters (7 per 9 IP) --- his career is just under 6. He really should never pitch in any game the Brewers hope to win. He hasn't been the debacle that Turnbow has been, but he just isn't a good pitcher.

Speak for yourself...as a fan I root not just for the uniform or for the results--if so I should just watch simulated games on the computer--but for the people and the personalities as well.

Well said, I also love certain personalities that make the players who they are.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I fully grant that today's move needed to be done, but I just don't understand the vitriol towards T-bow. The guy was an excellent closer in his day. He was very effective up to the all-star break last year. I think we really burned him out and now he's a head case. Too many fans have adopted this talk radio mentality towards the Brewers. First it was Turnbow, then it was Gross, a perfectly fine left handed corner outfielder that many think we could use right now and who's next...Weeks? I just don't get it. Turnbow is exactly the type of guy that Melvin would take a shot on here...and instead someone is going to pick him up for the league minimum.

Turnbow had been kicked to the curb by two other organizations prior to Milwaukee picking him up - the Brewers caught lightning in a bottle for about a season and a half, only to be shown during the next season and a half the exact reasons why a pitcher with his stuff was made available to them in the first place...he was too inconsistent, and couldn't be relied upon in a significant role on a team.

I'm not too concerned about the Brewers needing to eat what's left of Turnbow's contract - in reality, they're basically paying him for how good he was 2 seasons ago, when he was making peanuts and dominating games. Good for Turnbow that he was able to cash in at least once during his career, and good for the Brewers to finally realize that they needed to make a move to give them more value with that 25th roster spot. If this team is serious about contending, they can't keep pitchers or players on their MLB roster who don't contribute in some meaningfull way.

I actually hope Turnbow ends up in AAA, and has an opportunity to try and work through his issues

Archived