Brewer Fanatic

Dillon Called Up, Turnbow DFA (Update: Turnbow reports to Nashville M 5/12... see reply #132)

twobrewers wrote:
Well said. Turnbow is a mess right now. But if he has a month or two in AAA to really work on a few things - he could still be useful.

I hope to never see turnbow in a brewers uniform again.....that would mean we are truly desperate. I honestly don't understand all the people feeling sorry for him....the only ones I feel sorry for is the fans that have had to watch him this past year.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Greg Vaughn wrote:

I hope to never see turnbow in a brewers uniform again.....that would mean we are truly desperate. I honestly don't understand all the people feeling sorry for him....the only ones I feel sorry for is the fans that have had to watch him this past year.

You honestly don't understand why people feel sorry for him? It's not like he tries to do bad. I tried not to boo him last year at games where he collapsed, I mean it's not like he didn't know he was sucking. It seems pretty harsh to not at least feel bad for him. I'm sure glad he won't be on the major league team anymore but that doesn't mean you can't root for him.

Glennron wrote:
Greg Vaughn wrote:

You honestly don't understand why people feel sorry for him? It's not like he tries to do bad. I tried not to boo him last year at games where he collapsed, I mean it's not like he didn't know he was sucking. It seems pretty harsh to not at least feel bad for him. I'm sure glad he won't be on the major league team anymore but that doesn't mean you can't root for him.

I don't feel bad for millionaires who don't perform.

It's not like we just cut Robin Yount or something.....it's Derrick Turnbow. He's been a waste of a roster space for to long now....good luck to him.

However, if the Brewers try to send him to Nash., he has to clear irrevocable waivers, and if a team claims him, they pay Tbow the league minimum (~400K), and the Brewers pick up the rest of his salary.

I fairly certain if a teams claims T-bow, they are on the hook for his remaining salary. Teams only have to pay a player the minimum salary if T-bow cleared waivers and was then given he outright release, thus making him a FA. Since T-bow doesn't have the service time to refuse assignment, I doubt the Brewers would give him his outright release.

Either way, I'm guessing this ends in T-bow being traded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I see the title of my thread has been edited to add a "?" http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

One part of it already has officially happened after I started this thread (Dillon) and the other has too (Turnbow). It just hasn't been announced yet. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

It's not like we just cut Robin Yount or something.....it's Derrick Turnbow. He's been a waste of a roster space for to long now....good luck to him.

It's comments like this I just don't understand. Nobody is comparing him to Yount, but I can't honestly say that Turnbow has been a waste of space for "to long now". He needs to get his stuff figured out now and whether that's AAA or another team we'll find out. He did have a lot of value even last year and years prior to that. And as far as feeling sorry for him I don't think anyone is feeling sorry that he's made millions, but I think they feel sorry that if he doesn't get it figured out this could possibly be his last time in the big leagues -- that is why I do feel sorry for him and I hope it all works out for him.

I think it's funny how some can hate Turnbow so much -- does he try to screw up out there? I think Melvin said it best in the jsonline that hitters can hit .170 for a few weeks (see Rickie) and nobody is calling for their head and a starter can a have a few consecutive starts, but a guy in the bullpen needs to wear earplugs if he has a few bad performances. I'm not saying that Turnbow shouldn't be moved in some capactiy I just think Melvin's thought process makes sense to me. Best of luck to Derrick....or Rickie in Nashville.

Verified Member

^^^Good post by JJHardy7^^^

I can feel bad for Turnbow, despite his making millions, because a) he seems like a decent guy, b) he always plays hard, and c) this is his livelihood, his life, basically, that's possibly spiraling the drain right now. He (I assume) loves to play baseball and loves to win. For the last couple years, he's been booed almost every time he steps foot on the field, justified or not. Now, he is unable to perform at a major league level and is at risk of not being allowed to do what he loves.

I'm sure he'd give back a good $3 million or so if it meant he'd start pitching well again.

However, if the Brewers try to send him to Nash., he has to clear irrevocable waivers, and if a team claims him, they pay Tbow the league minimum (~400K), and the Brewers pick up the rest of his salary.

I fairly certain if a teams claims T-bow, they are on the hook for his remaining salary. Teams only have to pay a player the minimum salary if T-bow cleared waivers and was then given he outright release, thus making him a FA. Since T-bow doesn't have the service time to refuse assignment, I doubt the Brewers would give him his outright release.

I think your understanding is the correct one with one exception...He can refuse the assignement, but he forfeits his contract. That being the case, unless some team were to make the very questionable decision to claim him at $3.2 mil, it looks like it'll almost certainly be AAA or outright release. I aould assume the waiver period will be up some time this weekend.

Best of luck to Derrick. He's had a rough go of it the last couple years, and I hope he figures it out in AAA and comes back to stick it to everyone who would boo him before he even threw a single pitch.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't understand how someone can't feel a bit of pity for him. I don't care if you're a billionaire - if you suck at what you do and the whole world knows about it you get depressed. Money ain't everything.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I think Turnbow will do well in AAA, but that certainly doesn't guarantee that he'll continue to do well if we call him back up. Even if he is mowing everyone down in Nashville, we can't risk the roster spot for him until September IMO. $3m is too much for a AAA closer, so best bet at this point is to try and swap him for another underperforming reliever. Someone mentioned Mike Timlin in the other Turnbow thread, or maybe bring back Luis Vizcaino, who has a 27.00 ERA and a phantom injury with Colorado. Swap him for someone like that, and hope that both players do better with a change of scenery.

Ding, dong, the Turnbow's gone, the awful Turnbow's gone!!!!!!

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!! He's gone!!! He's gone!!!

If you couldn't tell, I'm ecstatic. My day has been made!

Welcome back Joe, and buh-bye Derrick.

Turnbow should never be back in a Brewer uniform. I'll be very disappointed if the Brewers decide to assign him rather than doing him a big favor and releasing him outright. I'd like to thank the Cub hitters for not mailing in AB's the other night with the game well in hand. They unknowingly did what seemed impossible. They forced Melvin's hand in ridding the roster of a guy, who although likeable etc, has done more harm to this team since July 1, 2006 than any other single opposing player much less any Brewer. The numbers say it all. The memories of our anguish as he walked another hitter in crunch time will linger a long time.

has done more harm to this team since July 1, 2006 than any other single opposing player much less any Brewer

So being one of the best set-up men in baseball last year hurt the Brewers?

It's really apparent Turnbow needs to screw his head on straight. It is a crap shoot whether or not all he needs is time in the minors to straighten himself out or the lightning in the bottle the Brewers caught is completely gone. If nothing else, I got a pretty cool bobble head out of the whole deal and Turnbow was a rock star for a while.

I think your understanding is the correct one with one exception...He can refuse the assignement, but he forfeits his contract. That being the case, unless some team were to make the very questionable decision to claim him at $3.2 mil, it looks like it'll almost certainly be AAA or outright release. I aould assume the waiver period will be up some time this weekend.

Turnbow can definitely refuse the assignment. Turnbow has 4 years of service.

After 3 years of service a player can refuse assignment, but loses his salary, at 5+ years, the player can tell the team to pound sand, and refuse his assignment and get his entire salary.

If the Brewers try to send Turnbow to AAA, here is what would happen.

1.) Turnbow would have to accept the assignment.

2.) Turnbow would be placed on irrevocable waivers, which means that the Brewers can't pull him off the table.

3.) If a team claims Turnbow, they will NOT pay his $3.2 -- they will pay the league minimum which is either $390K or $400K. -- The Brewers would be on the hook for the $2.8M (roughly).

If the Brewers release Tbow and he signs with another team -- I think the team that signs Tbow can do so for the league minimum, and the Brewers are on the hook for the balance of his salary -- this I am not as sure about.

The best case scenario is that there are 2-3 (or more) teams interested in Tbow, and Melvin can trade him to a team for some sort of Max St. Pierre, with the idea that the new team picks up some or all of Tbow's contract. If there is only one team interested in Tbow, they'd be best suited to wait until Tbow goes on irrevocable waivers and only pay him $400K, and let the Brewers cough up the rest of the $2.8M of his contract.

Verified Member

I guess it's a sign of how things have changed. If Turnbow accepts a AAA assignment, the Brewers will be paying over $10 million to players not on the 25 man roster (Jenkins buyout, Vargas buyout, Capuano, Bush, Turnbow)

"Melvin can trade him to a team..."

I can't think of any team out there that would want him. Even the indy leagues would think twice.

"So being one of the best set up men in baseball really hurt the Brewers."

You must be one of those fans that stops watching the Brewers when the Packers start playing.

You must be one of those fans that stops watching the Brewers when the Packers start playing.

As opposed to one that makes condescending comments; which, as I recall, violates site guidelines.

Yup I to just read the blog. It is now a reality, Turnbow DFA and Dillon backup to provide another bat. Wow, a team with only 12 pitchers? How will we survive?

And although McClung has been okay as of late I would still rather have Bush in our pen.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived