Brewer Fanatic

Dale Sveum, I have my eye on you...

Or it could mean that your 3rd base coach never takes any chances and you miss out on some runs.

I'm all for taking a risk on a close play. But I have never saw the ball beat the runner by that much at home with regards to both plays at the plate. Sveum handed the Cubs 2 outs yesterday.

When BA said Weeks was coming home I thought he turned around because he wasn't even on the screen yet when Soto was just waiting there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was going through yesterday's game on my DVR again today and during the 9th inning when Kendal hit that single to load the bases, Len Kasper (WGN) said Sveum was waving Kapler around but Kapler's head was down...so...yeah....let's put that guy on notice.

Edit: let's make Kapler a player/3rd base coach with Simba in when he bats.

After the Yo news I had to watch the top of the 9th again to try to lift my spirits. A few seconds after Rickie got tagged out, the shot cut to Dale, and he said something like "I tried to hold him" or "I did hold him" to Braun.

Any chance the NSA had a satellite over Wrigley around 4 in the afternoon that day?

This is not a fair statement. Both Weeks and Fielder were out by large margins, perfect throws were not required.

I certainly understand the idea that being more aggressive with Fielder might have merit with Counsell at the plate.

However, given the fact we had Fielder/Hart on deck, and Kerry Wood on the ropes, I would have held Weeks up at 3rd 9 times out of 10. 2nd and 3rd with one out with Prince/Hart at the plate with a struggling Kerry Wood, is a game begging to be blown wide open.

Yea, it ended up being a pretty good margin that Prince was out by because of how good of a throw it was. IF that throw is up the line a little bit, Prince has a chance to score. It really wasn't that close, but my whole point is with a 1-1 game and a guy hitting with a fly swatter on deck, you have to put the pressure on the defense there to make the play and get you out.

As for the Weeks play, I didn't comment on that one because I agree. No reason to send him there with Prince on deck. That could have hurt us very easily, and just because we ended up winning, I don't think that it should be glossed over. So we're in agreement on that one.

during the play, and then after the play was over and Uke was recapping it, he said "Sveum sent Rickie"

They didn't show the play on TV, so I don't know, but Uke may have just been saying that because Rickie went and he just made the logical assumption that he was sent. Again, I don't know, but that may be a case of making the assumption rather than actually seeing it. Truth is, I don't really care, but I haven't been upset with Svuem too much...certainly not as much as I thought I'd be when he came over here from Boston when all the Sawx fans were telling us how bad he was.

Both Weeks and Prince were out by several feet. Neither should have tried to go home.

How much your out by isn't the best way to decide if a player should have gone or not. Again, with Craig Counsell being on deck in a 1-1 game, you have to put the pressure on the defense there. That one I absolutely agree with. Obviously with hindsight being 20/20 you'd go back and not send him, but that situation, you almost had to.

Agreed with the second play however.

I'm in on giving the evil eye to Dale, I thought Rickie would have been out at the plate in the first today. And he NEVER EVER EVER should have sent Sheets home on the play that he was out on, even though I agree and he looked safe. This is our clear #1 pitcher, who admittedly isn't on base very often, and you can't take the chance that anything goes wrong on the play. If Benny would have been injured there, I think BF.net would have been shut down for the season, and rightfully so. The suicide watch would have been out of control
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Archived