Brewer Fanatic

Dale Sveum, I have my eye on you...

Based on Sveum's history in Boston (the windmill...ha!), it puts some of his moves into a greater context.

I know he's kind of a Brewers hero because of that Easter Sunday game, but I've always found Dale to be kind of a jerk. In the beanball war last September vs. the Cards, Sveum was on the top step of the dugout cussing the umps out like none other. It was a pretty pathetic display...there's no wonder the umps were so anti-Brewers last year.

I still think sending Prince was a bad move based on the one replay I saw, but I guess the blame can't be put on Dale from the send in the 9th. That was all Rickie.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prince was out by a decent amount but Fukudome's throw was absolutely perfect

Fukudome's throw could have been bounced a few times, and Prince would still have been toast, a perfect throw was not required at all. I think 80%-90% of MLB RFers make that throw pretty easily.

It was a great throw for sure.

I heard Rickey ran thru the stop sign. I think I was listening to the 540 post-game show at the time.

Nothing against Uke, I love him, but at this point in their careers, I would also tend to believe Pat Hughes over Uke.

wisconsinfan47[/b]]In the beanball war last September vs. the Cards, Sveum was on the top step of the dugout cussing the umps out like none other. It was a pretty pathetic display...there's no wonder the umps were so anti-Brewers last year.
Good grief.

See, I don't think Sveum has been invisible this year and that's the reason I think a question has to be raised.

I think there shouldn't really be a discussion about base coaches because we're not supposed to notice them so much - so if, in just 27 games, we can talk about 4 or 5 different plays in which we're wondering what happened, I think that brings him out of the invisible and therefore worthy to be questioned.

There is no doubt the Brewers have consciously adopted a strategy to be more aggressive this year. We are likely to see more outs at the plate than prior years. Remember the first weekend when Weeks tried to score versus the Cubs, a good throw would have got him but it was up the line. The ball got by Soto on the collision and Gwynn scored right behind him. That's the other side of the aggressiveness. You still hate to see a guy out by 4 steps, but I do believe there is more to it than just Sveum's judgment which I will grant looked off on the Fielder play. Overall I believe the aggressiveness has been a net benefit so far this season and Sveum has been a part of that.

so if, in just 27 games, we can talk about 4 or 5 different plays in which we're wondering what happened, I think that brings him out of the invisible and therefore worthy to be questioned.

But that's just it...where are those 4 or 5 different plays. I spend a fair amount of time here and yesterday is the first time I can really recall Sveum's name coming up, and in fairness, from most accounts, it sounds as if we are only talking about 1 play (sending Fielder), where Counsell was due up. So while it is still questionable, I could certainly make a case for being aggressive and making teh defense make a good throw.

It might be something to keep an eye on, but I would certainly say he's been rather invisible. Sometimes guys get thrown out - doesn't necessarily mean the decision to send the runner was questionable. The defense gets a say in the matter as well.

It might be something to keep an eye on, but I would certainly say he's been rather invisible.

I think that is in a large part due to our team's offensive struggles as of late -- Sveum hasn't had the chance to make a lot of bungles yet...

Overall I agree with what you are saying though, let's watch it, but not fire anybody just yet....

so if, in just 27 games, we can talk about 4 or 5 different plays in which we're wondering what happened, I think that brings him out of the invisible and therefore worthy to be questioned.

But that's just it...where are those 4 or 5 different plays. I

But if you read my original post, you would have seen the multiple plays that I'm asking about.

Just because everyone else latched on to the Rickie and Prince plays yesterday doesn't mean that's what I said. I specifically brought up three other plays.

I like being agressive with the right players, especially Rickie. He's got blazing speed and he'll hit you like a safety blindsiding a quarterback. But Prince? I don't get it. He's a base to base runner. I'm not confident that it's an automatic run on a single when Prince is at second. I think we'll see Prince get thrown out a few times in that situation.

On another note, I thought Prince showed class and sportsmanship after getting thrown out. It's so unusual to see that nowadays. It was cool. Man, I love that guy--talented, a leader at a young age, etc. etc.

On another note, I thought Prince showed class and sportsmanship after getting thrown out. It's so unusual to see that nowadays. It was cool.

Absolutely -- He certainly wasn't trying to elude Soto, and Soto got the best of that collision, and Prince was man enough to let Soto know that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't remember discussing any of Sveum's decisions except for the JJ Hardy play (which, by the way, took a bare handed pickup and perfect throw from a terrible left fielder).
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm not a big fan of Dale. He seems to be extremely aggressive to a fault. I know that Yost agenda for 08 was aggressive base running but it needs to be with in reason, and Dale seems to have risky aggressiveness in mind. We should be aggressive, but I feel it's out of control aggressive. Teams almost seem to know what we are doing so there is no surprise and they throw to the right base.

I believe Red Sox fans started calling him "The Windmill" during his stint as their third base coach before coming to Milwaukee.
I've also head the nickname "Send 'em home Sveum". I understand being aggressive, but there's also being smart.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

According to the Pat Hughes on the Cubs broadcast (I have XM, so I was stuck listening to the home team broadcast while in my car), Rickie ran through a clear stop sign in the 9th inning. Now I love Uke and would not trade him for anyone... but he occasionally misses the details during exciting plays, so I think I actually would trust Hughes more until I see the video of the play.

Absolutely agree 100%. I was on a fantasy baseball message board at the time with guys who were watching the game, and they said that Rickie ran thru a stop sign (but they admittedly didn't know if it was a late sign or not). If I had to guess, I would say that Sveum was holding him, and Uke just assumed that he sent him.

Yeah I remember Bill Simmons hating on Sveum that '04 season for the Red Sox.
The Sox had a rough year back in '04.

Levya was a really good 3rd base coach. You never heard his name from the announcers, which is about the best compliment a 3rd base coach can have.
Or it could mean that your 3rd base coach never takes any chances and you miss out on some runs.

Archived