Brewer Fanatic

Platoon Rickie?

Here's my idea. Release or trade Turnbow, bring up Iribarren, and platoon him with Rickie.

Rickie's OPS is .592 versus right handed pitching, yet it's over.900 against lefties. With our lineup stacked with right handed sticks, we may see more teams push their lefties back a few days when the Brewers come to town. Piniella did that with Rich Hill. So, Rickie isn't even gonna see the left handed pitching he craves.

Hernan deserves a shot. It might as well be while Rickie isn't hitting.

Verified Member
Yeah and then we can call up Dillon sometime and platoon him with Hall and his .579 OPS against righties and then platoon Hardy's .584 OPS vs righties with Counsell.

the only problem with that is rickie is going to be spending most of his time on the bench because most starters are right handed.

wait till the weather warms up and I think you'll see rickie turn things around. some guys are just slow starters.

Yeah and then we can call up Dillon sometime and platoon him with Hall and his .579 OPS against righties and then platoon Hardy's .584 OPS vs righties with Counsell.

Or maybe we can stop freaking out since we appear to be coming out of it having scored 19 runs vs right handers in a three game series vs the Cubs.

Why is a month too short a time period to say that a player is great, but not too short to say that a player isn't a full time player?

i must say, bf.net is a place of sanity

over on the bubbler (former JS forum) you've got maniacs calling weeks lazy, stupid, and dumb all over the place. another suggestion over there is to bring up gamel and have him play 2b.

Hernan deserves a shot. It might as well be while Rickie isn't hitting.
Also, rickie is starting to come around. Since April 20, his BA has increased 30 pts, his OBP has increased 30 pts, and SLG increased 27 pts.

How is Rickie supposed to start hitting if he's playing 25% of the time? If you aren't going to play Weeks everyday you might as well trade him which would also be a bad, bad idea.

Verified Member
Or maybe we can stop freaking out since we appear to be coming out of it having scored 19 runs vs right handers in a three game series vs the Cubs.

I guess I should've put my post in blue.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

This is truely silly. If teams gave up and platooned guys this early in the season, do we realize how many lineup changes would be made? Just off the top of my head the phillies would be doing this with Howard, Rockies with Tulo (before the injury), Giambi, Andrum Jones, Soriano, and Sheffield just to name some off the top of my head. This is not a good idea seeing the other things he brings to the table.

The entire brewer team was/is struggling and just starting to come out of it. We have been winning and yet we still are looking to change something all the time. I am glad the team stays the course and rides it out. Long seasons bring hot and cold streaks to the best of players. Sometimes we get caught up in the day to day grind of the baseball season.

Verified Member
Ricky has had his struggles so far this year but the fact is that while the Brewer's offense has been inconsistent so far this year, Weeks is 4th in the NL in runs scored with 24. The top spot in the NL is at 26. You wants runs scored from your leadoff guy and Weeks is doing just that so far. Let him continue to work it out.

Archived