Brewer Fanatic

Tulowitzki out until All-Star Break

Tough bad luck!

I am rehabbing after surgery for a ruptured left quad tendon. Two months and counting, and a long haul ahead. A tear is not as bad, but he was one step away from worse.

The tendon is major, it connects your upper leg, to your lower. I am sure they will have to be very careful that he rehabs it well, and totally regains the strength of that connection.

I am an old, ex jock: like many of you, a weekend warrior. Yet, I can imagine his frustration, and maybe even fear.

We enjoy great players, hope he comes back,

I think the discussion threads on the 'extend young players 45 1/2 seasons into the future' displayed evidence that contradicts that, FtJ.

You are saying, that people here are not smart enough to discern the risk in signing a player to a long-term contract.

Nothing anywhere as extreme. What I'm saying is that injury concerns were treated by many as 'What're the chances of something like that happening?'... 'Seems silly to worry about', etc.

An injury like this now has serious repercussions in every season Tulowitzki plays from now on. His knee is now that much more likely to have problems in the future, even over the next 5-6 seasons (the course of his deal). To borrow from your style of 'It's not like he died', it's not like he sprained his ankle or broke his toe here.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What I'm saying is that injury concerns were treated by many as 'What're the chances of something like that happening?'... 'Seems silly to worry about', etc

I think this is unfair -- I think most people here realize any player is pretty likely to miss some time with an injury.

An injury like this now has serious repercussions in every season Tulowitzki plays from now on. His knee is now that much more likely to have problems in the future, even over the next 5-6 seasons (the course of his deal).

Sure. Ballplayers get hurt, injuries accumulate, yet they continue to get multi-year deals.

To borrow from your style of 'It's not like he died', it's not like he sprained his ankle or broke his toe here.

Right, however the Rockies remain likely to get a lot of value out of Tulo.

The point wasn't that players get hurt, the point is along term deal for players already under control also locks in salary depsite injury. This injury, like Hardy's, could easily push down what would have been Tulo's first year arby award and all arby awards are based upon the previous year's salary.

Exactly, and injury concerns like this were dismissed so quickly by so many when people brought them up at the time of his/Longoria's signings.

You cant tie the contract to the injury. Signing that contract didnt increase the chance that he would hurt his quad. When the contract was signed there was a certain amount of risk in regards to injury and with all position players, that risk if very small. I doubt this injury has any effect on his value down the road, it isnt career threatening and it will not have a lasting effect beyond the healing period. The only way the injury is of any concern is if because of this injury he becomes worthless and not able to perform up the level he is being paid. I still think these Tulowitzki/Longoria deals are great for teams, and so do GMs, that is why the Players Union does not like them.

endaround put it best - it's not that Tulo is never going to be the same player he was last season because of this injury, but since the Rockies locked him in for 6-7 years, it takes away the possibility that his pre-arby performance would limit the value of his arbitration figures.

the arby system really gives small market teams windows of opportunity to contend if they run their organizations properly. The contracts that Tulo and Longoria have signed to completely negate the arbitration process may start to bridge the gap to a point where big time prospects in the minor leagues start signing long term deals before they even get to the big leagues.

I was one of those who agreed with the Tulowitzki deal, and argued similar deals would be good for some Brewer players. At the time I argued for Braun, and I think I was considering Hart. IIRC, I said that injuries are a part of any long term contract, whether it be for a FA or to lock in salary before arbitration. Someone brought up career ending injuries, and I questioned how often that happens to young players.

It's certainly true that the Rockies have lost some value in this deal now, but I still don't think it's a bad deal, and I wouldn't let this change how I felt about proposing a similar deal for the right Brewers.

Tough bad luck!

I am rehabbing after surgery for a ruptured left quad tendon. Two months and counting, and a long haul ahead. A tear is not as bad, but he was one step away from worse.

The tendon is major, it connects your upper leg, to your lower. I am sure they will have to be very careful that he rehabs it well, and totally regains the strength of that connection.

No, tendons connect muscle to bone. Ligaments (such as ACL) connect the upper to lower leg.

Archived