Brewer Fanatic

4/25/07 Brewers (Sheets) @ Cubs (Lilly): 1:20 PM CDT

wOOgiE22
I think that he bats Estrada 5th to hedge his bets against strikeouts. If there is a strikeout pitcher out there, and Fielder and Hall strikeout out with men on, then it can be assumed that Estrada is more likely to put the ball in play than Jenkins. In the first week of the season we saw the value of Estrada 5th, as he hit line drive basehits that scored some 2-out runs. Lately his liners have not been falling for hits.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What do you think about this strategy -- on a day like today where beginning of game may be in question due to rain, but where it is likely to get the game in at some point, have a reliever throw the first inning or two. Relievers are more acclimated to quick warm up and entry to game, where starters are typically into a longer routine to get ready.
Ned's done that before. In 2004, the Johnny Wholestaff starts began on a day when rain was expected to interrupt a game in Puerto Rico. I believe that delayed Ben Hendrickson's first call-up by about three weeks.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

think for whatever reason he thinks Estrada batting 5th will come up in situations where putting the ball in play is as important as overall power. Whether there is any truth to it I don't know.

I know what Yost is getting at but it just doesn't add up. Even if Estrada manages to have a .300 batting average this year, Jenkins/Mench might put up a .275 BA in his place. That's 12 more hits over 500 AB, of which, only a small fraction will occur when a hit is significantly more valuable than a walk. All at the cost of more outs and less power. It just isn't even close, IMO.

Like I said, however, the "mistake" doesn't add up to much anyway, so I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Quote:
Sheets gave up two runs in his last start. I hardly think that is a poor performance. I guess anything but a shutout for him is unacceptable.

It was a good start, no doubt, but he struggled with his control and wasnt striking many out. More bats on balls = more chance at hits.

Quote:
Sheets gave up two runs in his last start. I hardly think that is a poor performance. I guess anything but a shutout for him is unacceptable.

The problem is he just doesn't know how to win, and with Jeff Suppan on this team it has never been more apparent. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

This one would be nice to have. Hopefully Sheets will have his control today and can get the fastball over and have good break on the curve. Hopefully Lilly will get Menched. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Man I'll miss this one at class. Maybe it will be delayed an hour or so so I can catch the last few innings.

Hopefully Ben has his curve working today. It might be hard for him to loosen up in this crappy weather.

Being stuck in Louisville this week, ended up scoring some free tickets to the Bats (Reds AAA) game yesterday. Seeing Bad Chad Moeller (and he was in true form) hitting in the 8 spot at AAA made clearer the realization of how much better a team the Brewers are this year versus last.

I like Estrada batting 5th, he historically doesn't K all that much, however 11 in 15 games this year is a little high.

leaving for the game right now. look for the away Hall jersey again in the bleachers. just MIGHT pick up a broom at walgreen's.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

"just MIGHT pick up a broom at walgreen's."

This one definitely feels like a win for the Crew. The Brewers are streaking, the Cubs are scuffling, and our ace is on the mound. All that said, please don't tempt fate and bring a broom with you. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived