Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo injury: Has torn ACL, placed on 15-day DL; Bush recalled (reply #32)

Gopher74
thing is about a trade, that basically means the other team trading a good pitcher is giving up on the season. i don't even think the Giants are ready to do that yet and hurt ticket sales.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now that the initial shock has worn off a bit for me, I have some questions. I thought torn ACLs result in severe swelling shortly after the injury? When Yo said the pain "went away" was he just being a tough guy who wanted to stay in? How was he still feeling ok even after the game? It just seems so strange.

I feel sick to my stomach right now. Oh what I wouldn't give to have Will Inman still in our system still...

There have been several Will Inman posts.

I'm curious, what do you guys think that Will Inman would have done for this team at this point?

Reed Johnson needs to have a target on his back the next time the two teams play. First of all you just don't slide into first base anymore! Secondly he was about 3 feet outside the baseline where he slid. You need to stay inside the box. This was a dirty play and he should pay for it with a McClung fastball in the next series!

Reed Johnson needs to have a target on his back the next time the two teams play.
If that was a dirty play than Weeks' slide into home was up there with Pete Rose or Albert Belle. He was just hustling and probably made a bit of a foolish decision on the fly.

Reed Johnson needs to have a target on his back the next time the two teams play. First of all you just don't slide into first base anymore! Secondly he was about 3 feet outside the baseline where he slid. You need to stay inside the box. This was a dirty play and he should pay for it with a McClung fastball in the next series!

comon now. the guy was trying to beat out a hit. Sometimes stuff just happens on accident. What's with the need to blame someone?

I'm curious, what do you guys think that Will Inman would have done for this team at this point?

Nothing at all. He's currently pitching in AA, and probably would be in Huntsville this year, as well. It's more of a potential thing as opposed to a reality thing.

Reed Johnson needs to have a target on his back the next time the two teams play. First of all you just don't slide into first base anymore! Secondly he

was about 3 feet outside the baseline where he slid. You need to stay inside the box. This was a dirty play and he should pay for it with a McClung fastball

in the next series!

It was clearly nobody's fault and nothing more than a very unfortunate accident.

I'm sorry, but it was not a dirty play. It was a freak accident.

Yo took a bad angle to the bag, and got himself into big trouble for it.

Season over. [/i]

I know it feels that way right now (I uttered the same thing to myself when I heard the news) but let's think about this objectively. According to BP, the Brewers had about a coin flip chance of making the playoffs before the injury:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_oddspec.php

They predict that the Brewers would have finished with 90.4 wins with Gallardo. With Yo going down, you can take maybe 3 wins away, giving them around 87 wins on average. The Brewers' current situation is very similar to Philli (they are predicted to finish with 87 wins and are chasing a team who's predicted to win almost 94 games). According to these estimates, Philli still has a 38% chance of making the playoffs. Obviously, Philli now actually has a BETTER chance of making the playoffs with this injury but ball parking it.. wouldn't the Brewers still have maybe a 1 in 4 shot of making the playoffs?

Everyone has their own definition of "season over" but I don't think a 25% or even a 20% chance at the playoffs justifies making that proclamation. Their playoff chances have taken a huge hit but it isn't over yet.

Inman was the closest thing to a legit starting pitching prospect above A ball in the system. A check of the latest power 50 finds none in the top 20, and just a handfull, all lefthanders in their mid 20's, anywhere in the top 50.

That's not saying he'd be ready to step in, but he is doing well so far in a very hitter friendly AA league.

Gamel and LaPorta to Giants for Lincecum.
That's a totally irrational knee-jerk(no pun intended) reaction to this move.

And one that people would probably be mocking in a couple years. If, if, if, if Yo's going to be out all year, or we need to make a deal, then perhaps you can deal one of them plus something for a pitcher, likely LaPorta as he's got more value to others, and Gamel may have more value to us.

Either way, trading two prospects, that I think will be top 25 prospects next year for a pitcher because we found out today that our young arm got hurt is giant overkill.

Actually, it's far from a knee jerk reaction. I've thought for some time (well before Gallardo got hurt) that we should try to get Linecum from the Giants. Lincecum replacing Sheets in the long run, with (a hopefully healthy and recovered) Gallardo make a real nice young 1-2 punch. And you're not going to get a guy of Linceum's quality for nothing. Gamel's defense is a huge question. As much as I like LaPorta, you've got to give something to get something (How soon we forget that Linecum was one of the top 5 or so pitching prospects in baseball, and his results so far in the bigs have been good). This trade would not affect our present day roster, and given the number of draft picks we got this year, not necessarily mortgage our future either. I have no problem with you calling it a poor trade, but please don't say it's knee jerk, because it is far from it.

Now that the initial shock has worn off a bit for me, I have some questions. I thought torn ACLs result in severe swelling shortly after the injury? When Yo said the pain "went away" was he just being a tough guy who wanted to stay in? How was he still feeling ok even after the game? It just seems so strange.

I completely tore my ACL and had severe meniscus damage while playing in a basketball game three years ago. It initially was one of the worst pains I have had in my life but it quickly went away and I played the second half of the game. That night I couldn't sleep at all because of the pain and I went to the doctor the next day and he said I sprained it, so I bought a knee brace and played twice a week for three weeks with minor pain. During the third week I fell to the ground with the same pain...turns out I was playing with a complete tear and meniscus damage the whole time. My knee never swelled up and my surgeon told me that was strange but he had seen it before.

Are all the bandwagon fans jumping ship?

If so, it's going to just be back to us diehards again. I can't wait to have my own section to sit in at Miller Park this September when we're still in the pennant race.

I think that some bandwagon fans may indeed be jumping ship, but there have already been 2+ million tickets sold. I'm guessing most of those folks that bought tickets will go ahead and use them.

I've said before that this season was probably going to be the best chance the Brewers would have at making a championship run for the near future, and this is a serious blow. It's probably true that Gallardo is only a few wins better than Bush, but a few wins could be the deciding margin this season. A playoff run without Yo becomes much harder. Let's hope his young body recuperates quickly and he can come back to give a playoff push in September.

Ok team, new drill for the pitchers...

Tuck and roll drills, or is that called a "barrell roll". Anyway, I think you know what I mean.

Run over to first, dive over the line, tuck the knees and roll...

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

(Weak attempt at some humor there.)

If you expect a manager to not listen to a trainer and his players, what's the point of having a trainer?

If you have a trainer to make all of these decisions, and a pitching coach to make all the pitching decisions, and a batting coach to make all the hitting decisions, and base coaches to make all the baserunning decisions, and players to decide whether they can play or not, what's the point of having a manager?

I have never said they make every decision, however they do influence nearly every decision. You're not going to have a staff if you're not going to listen to them. In this instance, you go with your trainer nearly 100% of the time.

Archived