Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo injury: Has torn ACL, placed on 15-day DL; Bush recalled (reply #32)

Gopher74
I've got the answer!

Bill Hall!

But seriously, I think I read somewhere on this site that Bill Hall is a pretty good pitcher. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

Who said I wasn't being serious? We know he can throw hard.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, I didn't realize that so many "fans" believed that the Brewers were such one man team.

He's not carrying the team on his back, but he is our #2 pitcher and he's been absolutely fantastic so far this year and it is indeed a devastating blow to have him gone for the year. I don't think the season's "over" by any means--our lineup's too deep--but as someone who started out watching Sixto Lezcano on my Mother's lap to living and dying by those 80s teams to dying by Lou flippin' Collier and Wayne Franklin and Jerry Royster to now, I'll allow myself some major disappointment in this development.

I don't think gnashing your teeth over this means you're not a fan.

I highly doubt Reed Johnson was attempting to take out their knees. It's a freak accident and that's all there is to it. In the 9th yesterday Weeks made an awkward slide at Soto's knees at homeplate, I doubt he though "Let's tear some ACL!"

Weeks isn't a journeyman scrub. Reed Johnson is and therefore when they refer to help playing hard, it probably just means he is dirty. Truthfully, I don't think he was trying to cause problems, but he needs to think before he does reckless things. He wasn't going to be safe so what was the point of trying to create a dangerous situation?

To end all the debate if Ned made it worse, here's Melvin's comment from the Brewers.com story

"The doctor said no further damage could have happened by going back out to pitch," Melvin said. "Once it's torn, it's torn. Going out to pitch didn't cause any additional problems."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080502&content_id=2626576&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

What a punch in the gut

This is the bummer about loving sports, so much rides on the health of the athletes and any fluke play can seriously damage the hopes of the teams you love. If Pie starts that game instead of Johnson, the injury never happens.

Ugggg

I wasn't implying that ligaments don't heal at all, I was just saying that people usually take the rout of surgery with the ACL. Since blood flow in ligaments is minimal it would take somewhat longer to heal than a normal injury. In this case athletes choose surgery because they want to have confidence that it wont give out the next time they plant their leg, which could lead to a complete tear.

To end all the debate if Ned made it worse, here's Melvin's comment from the Brewers.com story

"The doctor said no further damage could have happened by going back out to pitch," Melvin said. "Once it's torn, it's torn. Going out to pitch didn't cause any additional problems."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080502&content_id=2626576&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

If it was completely torn when the injury happened then that is probably true, but it isn't like Melvin would really be quoted saying that it is Yost's fault for keeping Yo out there.

Johnson didn't do anything wrong, he was had at least a small chance to slide in there safe and avoid a tag. Gallardo needs to either get to 1B faster or realize he won't make it and back off of the play since Fielder had the ball but that is much easier to do when you aren't in the moment. It is just a freak play, Gallardo was playing hard which is what you want and just happened to land wrong after his leap.

Verified Member

Well seeing as it's not a question as to if Sheets will hit the DL but when, I'd say there is something to be depressed about.

Another question is if Yo damaged his knee more by pitching two more innings. If he did, Yost or Maddux or whoever should be fired.

If you expect a manager to not listen to a trainer and his players, what's the point of having a trainer?

If you have a trainer to make all of these decisions, and a pitching coach to make all the pitching decisions, and a batting coach to make all the hitting decisions, and base coaches to make all the baserunning decisions, and players to decide whether they can play or not, what's the point of having a manager?

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I'm assuming the people on here putting any kind of blame on Reed Johnson for sliding into first have never played a pitch of organized baseball in their lives?

Seriously, sliding into first is a normal thing when you are trying to avoid a tag. He was very close to getting away from Fielder's tag. I'll still hate him for being involved in the play that ended up hurting Gallardo but to blame him is just stupid. That play happens all the time, we just had one of our stars in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Gamel and LaPorta to Giants for Lincecum.
That's a totally irrational knee-jerk(no pun intended) reaction to this move.

And one that people would probably be mocking in a couple years. If, if, if, if Yo's going to be out all year, or we need to make a deal, then perhaps you can deal one of them plus something for a pitcher, likely LaPorta as he's got more value to others, and Gamel may have more value to us.

Either way, trading two prospects, that I think will be top 25 prospects next year for a pitcher because we found out today that our young arm got hurt is giant overkill.

Well seeing as it's not a question as to if Sheets will hit the DL but when, I'd say there is something to be depressed about.

And another little subtle kick in on Ben Sheets....in a thread about another pitcher.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Anyone think Yo took a really bad angle on that play? Isn't he supposed to go "with" the line as opposed to "across" it?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Braun went into 2nd spikes high earlier in the series. That was probably dirtier than anything Johnson did there.

It sucks to lose Gallardo, but the season is far from over. We only got 41 starts from Sheets and Gallardo last year. We can still get reasonably close to that number this year, if Sheets stays healthy. A substantial injury to Sheets now would be really tough to overcome, though.

Cannot say I am stunned. Cannot say we won't make the playoffs. But I think were screwed. It's imperative Sheets stays healthy but that's not likely to happen. One can hope I guess. Parra has to be better than 5 innings. I am stunned and stating the obvious but we're pretty much screwed. I don't even want to think about Weaver..yuck... sigh.

If you expect a manager to not listen to a trainer and his players, what's the point of having a trainer?

If you have a trainer to make all of these decisions, and a pitching coach to make all the pitching decisions, and a batting coach to make all the hitting decisions, and base coaches to make all the baserunning decisions, and players to decide whether they can play or not, what's the point of having a manager?

It never ceases to amaze me how people can take what's actually said, and then just run with it.

Please show me where anyone said that a pitching coach makes all the pitching decisions, a hitting coach all the hitting(which CLEARLY isn't true)...and so on?

It's actually quite simple, the trainers the medical expert. Ned Yost isn't. If the Trainers say he's fine, why would Yost argue with them?

Well heck, if pitching isn't going to hurt it anymore, why not keeping throwing him out there http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I am with the "What the heck was the training staff" thinking camp. I am not going to blame Yost because he was largely basing his decision on the opinion of the trainer. Not like it mattered since going back out apparently didn't worsen the injury

I now hate Reed Johnson as much as I hate Sal Fasano

Archived