Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo injury: Has torn ACL, placed on 15-day DL; Bush recalled (reply #32)

Gopher74

Seriously...although I don't post here much I am probably one of the leaders of the Yost hate club.

But...

There is NOTHING to blame Ned here for. He listened to his trainer...and the trainer isn't really at fault either. Yo tore it when he jumped over Johnson. End of story. I doubt the extra 1 2/3 innings changed the outcome of his injury much.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone think that Laporta might come into play here if they look to make a move?

I just think that if they are "in it to win it" they have to bring in another arm.

I am sick to my stomach right now.

Anybody know what Mark DiFelice throws? Sad to think he's now in top 7 or 8 in depth chart.

I thought PECOTA gave him a very generous projection. Their weighted mean projection for him was 4.15/1.25 as a long reliever/spot starter (they guessed 8 starts). Does anyone think he's actually capable of that? I'm curious as well, what does he throw? Could we use him in a pinch? Would he be better than Jeff Weaver (please)?

Well his minor league numbers were quite good last year and so far this year in limited action. In fact, they are about the best among the staff now at Nashville. But he's in his 30's and has never made even a token major league appearence. Guys have come out of nowhere, but it's asking an awful lot.

Then there is one Seth McClung, who has started 37 major league games but without much success (6.17 ERA) thanks to poor control and a lot of HR allowed. Man this is depressing. Where is Will Inman when you need him.

So just because Ned can outweigh the trainers he should? I'm getting more and more confused out of what some expect him to do. Once it's torn, it's torn. Nothing happened by him staying out there.I know Ned has the final say, but why logically should he use it if he got reports it was OK for you to stay? If you expect a manager to not listen to a trainer and his players, what's the point of having a trainer?

I'm confused then as well: if the damage is done and it was OK to keep him out there, then why is he going on the DL? Heck, let's just keep throwing him out there until the kid falls apart.

In all this Ned talk I do feel like the trainer's getting a pass here. Why would that trainer tell Ned he was OK to go? (I frankly don't care what Yo had to say about it, to be honest--he doesn't know any more than Ned medically but doesn't have Ned's authority)

And yes, I do hate Reed Johnson for his ridiculous dive at first base but I hate him more for the laundry he wears. I think he's way down the list of responsibility, below Yo himself for one.

Well guess i'll go drink till I can't remember the pain of watching Reed Johnson slide into two of our franchise players.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/4130/DSC_0188.JPG

Hey Reed.. the base is about 3 feet to your left. Way to make an unnecessary slide and endanger and hurt one of our two franchise players. Congrats "Big Z", I now have a more hated Cub to hate.

Agreed. What the hell was Reed thinking? He is a scrub and should have just accepted the fact he was going to be out. How about the brewers call up some journeymen scrubs to start sliding at Derrick Lee's knees.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I realize everyone is pretty depressed over this news. Here is one way to defeat depression from our friend, Chris Crocker. It's safe for work until the very last second of the video - watch with the sound off and you're fine:

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member

Wow, I didn't realize that so many "fans" believed that the Brewers were such one man team.

To sit here and feel sorry for ourselves is a defeatist attitude. Bush is no Gallardo obviously, but he did pitch well enough to win 12 games last season, and right now he is the best option. It doesn't mean Melvin won't be working on other options.

can we trade Cameron in June? maybe LaPorta can come up then and Hart can take over CF. i'd rather not let LaPorta go, either. Gamel would be fine with me, though.

can Gallardo just pitch sitting down? that might still be more effective than Bush or Weaver.

is Barry Zito available?

Wow, I didn't realize that so many "fans" believed that the Brewers were such one man team.

To sit here and feel sorry for ourselves is a defeatist attitude. Bush is no Gallardo obviously, but he did pitch well enough to win 12 games last season, and right now he is the best option. It doesn't mean Melvin won't be working on other options.

I think the problem is that the brewers could count on one pitcher injury because of the depth with Bush. The issue is that we have sheets in the rotation so the loss of gallardo means it is only a matter of time until we are trotting Weaver to the mound.

Community Moderator

Are all the bandwagon fans jumping ship?

If so, it's going to just be back to us diehards again. I can't wait to have my own section to sit in at Miller Park this September when we're still in the pennant race.

I highly doubt Reed Johnson was attempting to take out their knees. It's a freak accident and that's all there is to it. In the 9th yesterday Weeks made an awkward slide at Soto's knees at homeplate, I doubt he though "Let's tear some ACL!"

Obviously the hyperextension of the knee caused the damage so surgery would have been required anyway. Ligaments do not heal themselves, they need to be repaired by surgery. So to blame this on any further damage by keeping him in the game is a moot point because there was a high probability of a tear already.

They can heal themselves....depending on how badly they're torn. A slight tear and you likely won't have surgery on it, you'll just let it heal. A complete tear and you'll need surgery on it.

I just have to imagine this isn't a completely blown out knee if he was able to throw in it.

Archived