Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo injury: Has torn ACL, placed on 15-day DL; Bush recalled (reply #32)

Gopher74

Is there anything saying whether this is a partial or total ACL tear? My gut tells me it's a partial tear - An exteammate of mine tore his ACL while trying to field a grounder - they weren't sure how bad he was injured and wanted him to throw a few from the mound. He basically fell over as soon as he tried pushing off the mound and he was done - a complete ACL tear and partial tears of some of the other ligaments. If Yo had a multi-ligament knee injury yesterday on his pushoff leg, there's no way he could have continued to pitch. Another teammate of mine pitched a full season with an ACL brace on his leg, but that was his landing leg, and it wasn't like he planned on making 30+ starts.

MRI's can reveal partial tears that don't necessarily require surgery. While I agree in hindsight that keeping Gallardo in the game for almost 2 full innings afterward wasn't the best thing for him, I do think that if Yo had a complete tear there's no way he would have been able to pitch. Depending on what the stability tests conclude on a knee with a partial tear determines if surgery is necessary, or if the ligament/knee can be rehabbed without going under the knife. Either way, the recovery process for any type of ACL injury would set Yo back to not really contributing this season.

This is just a brutal way to start a weekend.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It has nothing to do with Ned and all of you who think so are being ignorant.

1. Ned relies on the trainer in cases like this, which is why I believe the lion's share of any responsibility for any further damage rests on the trainer. That said, Ned's the captain of this ship, of course the decision to send him back out for more work after that play (in April!) has something to do with him.

2. Do me a favor: you don't have to agree with me, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't call me "ignorant" for my opinion.

Verified Member
We could really use Dana Eveland right about now. Maybe we could see if Billy Beane would trade him to us for Johnny Estrada, Claudio Vargas, and Greg Aquino. Oh, wait....

I blame Prince for not calling him off earlier. Just kidding. I'd have to say that he tore it when he jumped/fell. I'm no doctor, but I doubt him continuing to pitch is the reason he's lost for the year.

I know you're kidding about this, but as the play happened, I wondered why Yo kept heading to the bag when it was clear Prince was keeping it. Keep in mind, I was at Wrigley and I was between home plate and the Cubs dugout, so I was a long way from the play. I also was jumping up and down because we got the out and didn't see the whole thing play out.

I think there was a lingering chance that Fielder could have flipped it to him. Usually you just don't think that something like that will happen. I'm sure he didn't expect Johnson to slide until last minute. When it happened, he probably figured he could just jump over it all but Johnson slid way to the right to try and avoid the tag, and Yo ended up having to over-extend his leg/caught it on Johnson on his way down.

will this have any bearing on how effective he'll be in 2009? I want to get really angry right now but i'm just numb.

Manny, Villy and Bush better start consistently making it into the 7th and Sheets better stay healthy or else this could be a very, very, very long year.

"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Aren't Gallardo/Villanueva/Parra all pretty good buddies? Maybe this will somehow light a fire under the other two's butts and they'll be able to consistently pitch 6+ innings.

Yes I realize that's highly unlikely but there has to be some sort of silver lining http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Gamel and LaPorta to Giants for Lincecum.

God I hope not. Lincecum is an awesome pitcher but I would not trade those two for him. Gamel maybe, but not with LaPorta he is our insurance if Prince does leave or he is our next corner OF when Cameron is gone after this or next season.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

ouch.....tough blow for the team and my sanity.

The thing about an ACL injury it really depends on the severity of the tear. It could be partially torn or completely torn. I'm wondering if they only put him on the 15 day because they are debating on whether or not to have him pitch through it (highly doubtful).

The thing that worries me about this issue is, I hope it doesn't alter his arm mechanics....due to compensating for the knee in the future....thus leading to arm issues.

Last night I just had a bad feeling about this....I had a feeling it was to good to be true. I just hope this doesn't alter his future as the dominant starter on our staff.

an incident as unfortunate as Yo is special.

i am sure no one is more sad than he.

there are 5 full months before October starts; is there any feasible recovery schedule that allows for a Divisional Series return? I guess we need to know more.

gut punch.

Not surprisingly, I disagree. He's the manager. He runs the game. He decides who comes in and who comes out. I don't blame Donatell for 4th and 26, I blame Sherman. The final call always comes down to the top guy. There's a small chance that Ned ignored the trainers, because Ned has the power to make that decision. There's zero chance that the trainers ignored Ned, because they don't have that power.

Anyway, hopefully Yo makes speedy recovery. I wouldn't mind having him around come September if we're still in this thing.

Edit: Also, if the trainer did give the okay, then I agree that the trainer should be canned for this. But that doesn't take away the fact that Ned can override the trainer.

I blame Nick Barnett for not running the defense called.

jvrocksaz wrote:

Once the ACL is torn then no more damage can be done to the ACL, however, without the stability the ACL provides in the knee you can risk damage to the MCL and the PCL by continuing to play on it. My daughter recently tore her ACL playing in her High School basketball game. She had just an ACL tear. We will have to wait for more information as to whether there is any other damage in the knee to see if the extra inning Yo pitched caused any furthre damage. The more ligaments that are torn then obviously the longer the rehad. Let us hope for a Brady Poppinga type recovery not a Daunte Culpepper type recovery that lingers. Brady just tore his ACL where as Daunte needed total reconstruction of his knee!

I think the ACL was obviously torn on the fluke play, but the concern in leaving him in would be another injury to the arm while compensating for the leg injury.

Any medical ppl out there know if a the healing time between a partial or complete tear is any different?

1. Ned relies on the trainer in cases like this, which is why I believe the lion's share of any responsibility for any further damage rests on the trainer. That said, Ned's the captain of this ship, of course the decision to send him back out for more work after that play (in April!) has something to do with him.

once the ACL is torn, it is torn, I am taking that right out of an article, it wouldn't have mattered either way, the physician, said that no further damage occured because of him playing

Anybody know what Mark DiFelice throws? Sad to think he's now in top 7 or 8 in depth chart.

I thought PECOTA gave him a very generous projection. Their weighted mean projection for him was 4.15/1.25 as a long reliever/spot starter (they guessed 8 starts). Does anyone think he's actually capable of that? I'm curious as well, what does he throw? Could we use him in a pinch? Would he be better than Jeff Weaver (please)?

once the ACL is torn, it is torn, I am taking that right out of an article, it wouldn't have mattered either way, the physician, said that no further damage occured because of him playing

to the ACL? no. to his arm? maybe. pitching on a knee without the help of an ACL could lead to overcompensation with the arm.

the ignitor, that would be a horrible trade

Yeah really, aside from us getting screwed in the deal(I do love Lincecum, though), Sabian would want 35+ year old guys. Maybe if we brought back Damian Miller and tried to convince Yount into coming out of retirement we could package them in a deal for Lincecum.

So just because Ned can outweigh the trainers he should? I'm getting more and more confused out of what some expect him to do. Once it's torn, it's torn. Nothing happened by him staying out there.I know Ned has the final say, but why logically should he use it if he got reports it was OK for you to stay? If you expect a manager to not listen to a trainer and his players, what's the point of having a trainer?

Well guess i'll go drink till I can't remember the pain of watching Reed Johnson slide into two of our franchise players.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/4130/DSC_0188.JPG

Hey Reed.. the base is about 3 feet to your left. Way to make an unnecessary slide and endanger and hurt one of our two franchise players. Congrats "Big Z", I now have a more hated Cub to hate.

Why is it anyones fault that he tore his ACL? It was an accident plain and simple.

The real discussion should be how the rotation will realistically hold up without him there. The season isn't lost, but to call them contenders right now would be a huge stretch. The rotation as it stands right now is average at best.

Then again, how is it any worse than the Cubs? They have Zambrano and? I'm not giving up.

Archived