Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo injury: Has torn ACL, placed on 15-day DL; Bush recalled (reply #32)

Gopher74
  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be 99.9% sure he tore it when he hyperextended it. It just looked bad when it happened and I was shocked when he said he was fine. This guy has a high pain tolerance if he was able to do that.

The sky fell a long time ago. It's tough to emotionally invest yourself in a team that never makes the playoffs. They could barely muster .500 last year healthy. I don't foresee a better record this year.

Community Moderator
This is such a dissapointing thing to happen. In no way should Ned be blamed for anything. It's the trainers job to determine if he's ok and Yo's decision if he feels up to it. It has nothing to do with Ned and all of you who think so are being ignorant. If his knee was fine and then it "all the sudden tore" then he would have dropped like a shot horse. In no way does Ned have anything to do with this injury. Lets not say the season is over, but yes this does make things tough. Other guys have to step up now.

Really the only hope is that Parra, who's got the stuff, very quickly becomes an above average starter and that Villanueva, who career in 197 innings has an ERA under 4, with good overall numbers, can put up similar numbers over 30+ starts. That's a lot of pressure on two young guys. We know what Bush and Suppan can do, and they aren't likely to get any better than they've been. The depth has been decimated as well.

It's a horrendous blow. The two most important guys needed to stay healthy were 1. Sheets and 1A. Gallardo.

I'm guessing MickeyDavis was being sarcastic?

Wow. This is just absolutely disgusting. I know the season isn't close to over or anything but there's such a huge drop from Gallardo down to Suppan. That and if Sheets gets injured again I can't believe Weaver is next in like. If Sheets ever needed a season to not get hurt this would be it. Argh what a way to ruin the start of the weekend.

I'm a yost hater don't get me wrong, but the trainer should be able to figure out an ACL was torn between innings. I'm no doctor but I know there's a test you can do to make sure all the ligaments are intact. Also, Yo said he was good to go and trainer gave the ok. On a bullpen level, the brewers long man went 3 innings the day before.

I think he's a poor manager and would rather have almost anyone else, but I don't blame him much for leaving him in. If any should be fired and or blamed for this its the trainer.

As far as the season goes, having two aces I thought was the brewers' biggest advantage over the cubs. I still think the brewers have a deeper bullpen, but that's about it now. The entire season pretty much hinges on Ben Sheets health now and that's a scary thought. Its really suck they lost Yo on a total fluke play.

I guess it will come down to how close the brewers are at the trading deadline. If they are close, I'm hoping Melvin trades a prospect(s) for the best pitcher on the block. If/when sheets is gone next year the window to the postseason could very well be closed.

I realize this is a serious injury. but how serious is it? is this a 6-16 week injury? a season ending injury? a 1 1/2 year recovery timeframe before he returns back to his elite form? a potential recurring injury? a potential a career threatening injury?

I don't know much about torn ACLs and their recovery at the pro level. My brother suffered a knee injury back in the 60's at the high school level ending his possible football career and his 220 and 440 track times were never the same. But that was over 40 years ago. I have to believe medical techniques have changed a lot since then.

rather than saying I' m going to puke and our season is finished and what player can we acquire, can somebody add some insight as to the injury itself and the anticipated recovery time and the future effects this type of injury will cause?

At least Brewer fans are strong and hardy. It's not like something like this has never happened before. at least we've been prepared and know how to handle the bad news of a pitcher's injury. pedro martinez and all his assortment of injuries would have made the perfect brewer pitcher.

While I have no idea if it made it worse, it was a fantastic decision by the coaching staff to keep Gallardo in the game.

If we're assigning blame for Yo staying in the game, the order of blame goes like this:

1.) Trainer

2.) Gallardo

3.) Coaching Staff.

Not everything is Yost's fault.

Not surprisingly, I disagree. He's the manager. He runs the game. He decides who comes in and who comes out. I don't blame Donatell for 4th and 26, I blame Sherman. The final call always comes down to the top guy. There's a small chance that Ned ignored the trainers, because Ned has the power to make that decision. There's zero chance that the trainers ignored Ned, because they don't have that power.

Anyway, hopefully Yo makes speedy recovery. I wouldn't mind having him around come September if we're still in this thing.

Edit: Also, if the trainer did give the okay, then I agree that the trainer should be canned for this. But that doesn't take away the fact that Ned can override the trainer.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Maybe this is the turning point? Maybe just maybe somehow this injury to Yo and his teammates seeing him tough it out and still pitch yesterday will rally these guys to step up. The offense and the pitchers. I know it may seem like a fairytale long shot but it could happen. Yovani Gallardo is one tough SOB that is all I know, love that guy.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Once the ACL is torn then no more damage can be done to the ACL, however, without the stability the ACL provides in the knee you can risk damage to the MCL and the PCL by continuing to play on it. My daughter recently tore her ACL playing in her High School basketball game. She had just an ACL tear. We will have to wait for more information as to whether there is any other damage in the knee to see if the extra inning Yo pitched caused any furthre damage. The more ligaments that are torn then obviously the longer the rehad. Let us hope for a Brady Poppinga type recovery not a Daunte Culpepper type recovery that lingers. Brady just tore his ACL where as Daunte needed total reconstruction of his knee!

i just can't believe that if it is a torn ACL, he will only be out for 15, i was expecting a 60...

this really sucks...

i want to cry, the worst part about it is that it isn't his arm, it seems like all of the "home grown" pitching has had injury problems related to pitching, but Yo didn't, what a freak injury...

i don't want to say the year is over, but i am certaintly tempted...

I have to agree. With Yo out it's over. Now I can save the money I was planning to spend at Miller Park and buy more Bucks tickets.

You would rather spend money on Bucks tickets then Brewers tickets because Gallardo gets hurt? Ok.

Green font means sarcasm

If ben goes down for any extended time this team will be dead in the water,here hoping to ben staying healthy.

I wonder what Mr Melvin is planning on doing now how long will he wait to make a trade,guess depends who drops out of the Playoffs race first.

what a completly downer today

I blame Prince for not calling him off earlier. Just kidding. I'd have to say that he tore it when he jumped/fell. I'm no doctor, but I doubt him continuing to pitch is the reason he's lost for the year.

I know you're kidding about this, but as the play happened, I wondered why Yo kept heading to the bag when it was clear Prince was keeping it. Keep in mind, I was at Wrigley and I was between home plate and the Cubs dugout, so I was a long way from the play. I also was jumping up and down because we got the out and didn't see the whole thing play out.

Well, maybe this belongs in the silver lining thread, but if they end up like I think they will, at least maybe they'll pull off a semi-big trade for Sheets and Ned Yost will be gone.

The Brewers would have to have a pretty bad 3 months in order for Sheets to get traded this year. Unless you thought that the Brewers were a below average team before Yo got hurt, I don't see how you could think the Brewers will be far enough out of it by July to be able to trade Sheets.

Bush is around 1 run worse than Yo per 9 IP (4.6 ERA vs. 3.6 or somewhere abouts), so over 25 starts (about the rest of the season), we are looking at around 2 or 3 less wins. The difference between 88 wins and 85 or 86 wins could very well be the playoffs, so I don't pretend that it's small. And if any other starter gets hurt (and they are bound to), the dropoff just gets bigger.

Here are the ZiPS ERA projections for the remaining rotation:

Ben Sheets: 3.72

Manny Parra: 4.31

Carlos Villanueva: 4.46

David Bush: 4.64

Jeff Suppan: 4.76

Jeff Weaver: 5.50

This sucks!

Archived