Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo injury: Has torn ACL, placed on 15-day DL; Bush recalled (reply #32)

Gopher74

This has to have been one of the toughest up and down 24 hours(Brewers wise, real life problems are much more nerveracking) I have had in a while. I would put this up there with the ups and downs surrounding the playoof ticket drawing last year.

Punch in the gut seeing YoGa go down with apparent terrible injury.

He gets back up and finishes the inning plus another.

Down in the 9th inning.

Score 3 runs to comeback and win taking another series from the Cubs.

Gallardo out for year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rluzinski wrote::

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a345/rluzinski/ouch.jpg

O wait. Nevermind.

Just a couple of things:

1. Ouch!!! I can just see that pic that rluzinski posted being the background for some of the classless Cubs fans out there.

2. Not Reed Johnson's fault at all.

3. The whole situation sucks, but the season isn't even close to being over and we still have a good chance at having a playoff year--albeit not as good as yesterday, but still a lot of the season left.

http://www.disabledlistinformer.com/

This is a site that actually has injury news and analysis from a physical therapist. There isn't anything on there yet about Yo, but I assume there will be soon. There is actually a link to a very in-depth article about Ben Sheets and his injury issues as well.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

Any blame to Yost on this is just ridiculous. Is it Yost's fault there was a collision? It was a freak play and unfortunately it happened to the Brewers. I guess I'll just have to understand that there are some that will try to blame everything on Yost.

No one has blamed Yost for the injury.

This is the single most devastating injury I can think of as a sports fan in my life.

As far as the Brewers are concerned, this is at the top. But the announcement out of nowhere that Sterling Sharpe would have to retire was way more devastating. Gallardo will be back.

Rollie Fingers '82, Paul Molitor '80, Pete Vukovich '83 (& '84), Larry Hisle '79 (basically ended his career).

Robert Brooks '96, Dorsey Levens '98, Reggie White '96 (miraculously healed)

Just a few off the top of my head.

How to spend my Economic Stimulus Package check:
--Brewer Playoff Tickets[/s]
--Booze

Amen. Now that Leinie's is available out here at BevMo that might just be what I'll do. Oh, wait - I don't qualify for the ESP, I make too much money. Yet I rent and park on the street because I can't afford to buy a house here in LA. Yeah, I make too much for the ESP and to contribute to an IRA, but I'm too poor to buy a house where I live. Go figure.

Well, CV, Parra, and Bush better pick up the pace or we will be up Poop's Crick. But CV goes and poops himself in the 5th and 6th today so he isn't off to a good start. I guess my plan B if one of these guys can't get it done would be to give DiFelice a shot, and if that doesn't work and the Brewers are within striking range at the end of June then I start to look at what a package of prospects (Gamel, Iribarren, Nelson) could bring.

While Lincecum may be untouchable, I always wondered what we might be able to get from SF for some combination of Brad Nelson (replace Aurilia at 1B), Iribarren (replace Durham at 2B), Heether (can't be any worse than the stiffs they have been trotting out at 3B), and Katin (power SF desperately needs) might yield. I thought Nelson/Iribarren plus one more bat (Katin? Gillespie?) might bring a Noah Lowry, but he is not recovering from surgery as hoped. Replace Katin with Gamel and Escobar (replacement for Vizquel) for Heether in that package, and a deal for Lincecum or Cain might not be that far-fetched.

They might give us Lincecum if we take Zito's contract off their hands. Hmmm... Gamel, Nelson, Iribarren, Escobar, and Suppan (to even out salary) for Zito and Lincecum. Nah... that's the booze talking.

Verified Member
JJHardy7[/b]]Has everyone seen the blog on the jsonline?

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2008/05/02/brewers-assume-gallardo-out-for-year.aspx

Yovani coming back in didn't further the injury at all.

...the trainers felt it was ok...

I have no problem with Yost on this, but what about the trainers. While I would imagine they could not be certain, shouldn't they know enough to be able state that they are not sure...he seems fine, but it is possible that acl is torn and if so it would be better for him to not pitch. Wouldn't just seeing how far his leg went past where it should tell you this?

The fact that, in this particular case the trainer missing this did not have any consequences for the player, does not mean that this sort of apparent incompetence should be accepted.

I don't have much doubt that Yo will be back and still be an awesome pitcher since it's a knee and not an elbow or arm which are way worse for a pitcher. But I don't see much chance at all he throws another pitch in 2008. Next year he will come back with vengeance though.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

This has been my first chance to post since the announcement. I've had time to digest things, calm down, and sleep on the whole thing. With that in mind, I can honestly say--

This Sucks.

I've not seen the question posted in this thread after glancing it over so I'll ask it.

Does this injury put more pressure on the Brewers to re sign Sheets? I don't know, but it does not make it easier to just let him go away.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

This is the single most devastating injury I can think of as a sports fan in my life.

As far as the Brewers are concerned, this is at the top. But the announcement out of nowhere that Sterling Sharpe would have to retire was way more devastating. Gallardo will be back.

Rollie Fingers '82, Paul Molitor '80, Pete Vukovich '83 (& '84), Larry Hisle '79 (basically ended his career).

Robert Brooks '96, Dorsey Levens '98, Reggie White '96 (miraculously healed)

Just a few off the top of my head.

What about Edgar Bennett during preseason 97.

You may run like Mays...

Does this mean that Gallardo is now officially injury prone?

Not even close. We all saw what happened and why he is out for the year.

So I guess that means Hardy isn't really injury prone either.

I have to agree with you. If Sheets and Gallardo each make 25-30 starts, there is no way they don't make it to the playoffs, and if they made the playoffs, Milwaukee would have gone frickin' berserk. Now, we may never again have 2 aces like that in the rotation at the same time.

I hate to say this, but now there is a chance that this core (Sheets, Gallardo, Fielder, Braun, Hart, Weeks, etc.) will never make the playoffs. They may need to take a chance on Sheets or find an ace to replace him to make sure this doesn't happen.

Its just time for Big Ben to earn that paycheck now.

I think the Crew should push hard to get Yo signed to a long term extension while he is out. Try to turn a negetive into a positive. Maybe by showing faith that he will return to form they can get a bit of a discount on his service.

The sky isnt falling, Sometimes you dont miss something till its taken from you, and I am hoping that is how Dave Bush feels and comes back up and fulfills his promise.

So I guess that means Hardy isn't really injury prone either.

You are correct, sir. I have to agree with NDOGG -- how many people consider him injury prone? I hadn't even heard that since his injury-prone-ness of mashing up his ankle on Sal Fasano's shinguard.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Community Moderator
This is actually better than when we learned Juan Nieves has shredded his rotator cuff, needlessly trying to add muscle over the winter. He had every bit as much potential as Yo does now, and that one was his pitching shoulder, not his knee.

This makes me think of Bring Back the Stein's "Stations of the Brewers Cross" analogy after the blowout loss on Wednesday.

I am still trying to process what made it cosmically necessary for Brewers fans to have two "stations" in 24 hours.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

But objectively, I really see no way this team can make the playoffs now without corresponding injuries to other teams.

Objectively, of course the Brewers have a chance of making the playoffs even without corresponding injuries to other teams. The question really is, how big of a chance? If the Brewers are a .500 team without Yo (which is a very reasonable assumption, IMO), they'd finish with 83 wins on average. How often would a .500 team finish with 90 wins (and a good shot at the playoffs) in the Brewer's situation just from luck? They'd have to finish 74-60, which is 7 more games than expected. Works out to 13%. Of course, they also have a 13% chance of finishing with a 60-74 run and finishing 10 games under .500.

The point is, there's a lot of variability in final season standings. Unfortunately, the Brewers are probably going to have to lean heavily on that variability falling in their favor to make the playoffs.

Poor choice of words on my part. I was thinking well, they're only a .500 club now. I should have said, "being honest with myself" or something to that affect. I bow to your superior "objective" knowledge here. By and by, what were the Cardinals' chances this year--about 10%? Maybe they'll win this division.

The question is how was that missed if it was a complete tear? The ACL Test

I'm sure the trainer (roger caplinger or something is his name i think) has a wife and kids and is a nice guy, but being unable to diagnose a ACL tear between innings is a sign that he is not qualified to do his job.

What you didn't read was that the player can compensate for lack of joint stability with his/her muscles. You can tell that it's 'loose", but that could be one of 20 different things. The athlete has to relax enough for a proper test to take place, and I've never seen that happen on the field in the middle of the game. Personally when I shredded the tendons in my ankle, I let the trainer move it once.. and when I saw what my foot did there was no way I was letting him do that again. I was trying "to man up" and relax, but something inside me just wouldn't let it happen.

Calling out the training or coaching staffs is just an uneducated opinion to me. If you aren't in sports medicine, I fail to see how you can offer any intelligent opinion about diagnosing or treating an injury on the field, unless you've experienced the severe injury personally. What seems to be straight forward and common sense to you while sitting on your couch, is in fact vastly more complicated than it appears. In fact, most people that posted their ACL experiences didn't get diagnosed properly right away either. It doesn't matter how good the trainer is, that's why in football everything is a "knee sprain" on the field, it takes an MRI to determine the extent of the damage. I have a working knowledge of ACLs because I've helped some of my father's girl basketball players rehab (it turns out females are at greater risk for ACL issues because different hip structure creates different angles at the knee) and we've had 2 football players tear their ACLs in the last 10 years. I keep up on ACLs, just like I read up on concussions, because it's far better to prevent the injury than to heal it.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Verified Member
Again...if the trainer can not be certain, shouldn't they know enough to be able state that they are not sure...ie. "he seems okay, but it is possible that acl is torn and so it would be better for him to not pitch until we find out for sure". Wouldn't just seeing how far his leg went past where it should and the fact that he initially collapsed in pain tell you this?

"Wouldn't just seeing how far his leg went past where it should and the fact that he initially collapsed in pain tell you this?"

Perhaps it would and perhaps it wouldn't. I don't know. I do know that Kapplinger was in the dugout and not in front of a TV watching the slow motion replay. No way he could have deduced that only seeing him go down in real time from 25 feet away - assuming he saw it at all.

I heard the news on Yo while driving out of town on Friday. Having had three days almost entirely away from the Brewers, my initial recation reaction has not changed much. I immediately declared teh season "over" as in I don't see anyway the Brewers make the playoffs. I also turned to my wife and told her my secondary reaction that I thought the Brewers may actually go into a bit of a tail spin for the next couple weeks. Three days in Houston seems to indcate that may be happening as well.

This is really devastating from a Brewer fan's perspective. Its a very different situation, but it has a feel a bit like teh Sweep suit fiasco. The Brewers left Chicago on a total high, they finally had the roster complete, Braun and Fielder were starting to hit, even though I everyone know the injury had the possibility to be more serious, all indications were that he would be ok - thinsk were rolling along and then BAM!

Do I really have to turn one eye towards 2009 on May 2nd? Then again that thought gets a bit depressing as well when you consider teh Sheets situation along with the time it typically takes an athlete to fully come back from this type of injury.

While we all no dounbt have more important things and better things to worry about in our lives,l this really sucks!

Will the discussion in July be more about our position in the standings or what the Yankees are willing to give us for Sheets?

Obviously you can't easily replace a pitcher like Gallardo, but does this situation present a bit of a test of Doug Melvin's mettle? We heard over and over again all through the off-season and Spring Traing how the Brewers had starting pitching depth - and it seemed logical to assume so. I guess we're gonna find out, but this season also provides plenty of evidnec of how quickly and easily depth can disappear. Capuano goes down, Gallardo goes down, and next thing you know we are hearing the name Jeff Weaver. When is he due to start again BTW? Is it true he only started like 6 games in the minors in his career???

Archived