Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo injury: Has torn ACL, placed on 15-day DL; Bush recalled (reply #32)

Gopher74
  • Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Inman currently is sitting in AA where he has given up 14 runs in 32.1 IP with 3.9 BB/9. He would be behind Bush, Narveson and Weaver on our depth chart most likely and most baseball guys think he is a #4/#5 type pitcher, kinda like Bush/Capuano.

Sheehan watched Eveland pitch this last week and thinks he is a backend of the rotation guy who just got off to a hot start.

No need to play the what if game with guys we have traded away. It isn't like one of these guys would likely save our season. We just have to hope good Dave Bush shows up.

I don't think the bandwagon will empty out here. I love Yo and losing him obviously is a crushing, crushing blow to our chances this year, but I think losing Prince or Braun would put a much bigger hurt on this team, especially in the eyes of the casual fan.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

This is such a dissapointing thing to happen. In no way should Ned be blamed for anything. It's the trainers job to determine if he's ok and Yo's decision if he feels up to it. It has nothing to do with Ned and all of you who think so are being ignorant.

Deciding when players should be coming out of a game is Ned's decision, not the trainers, not Yo. Certainly i do not blame Ned for the collision -- but I think letting him to pitch after that collision was about as stupid as a person could get. Given the fact Yo is probably the most important cog in our machine, I cannot believe he was allowed to even walk back to the trainers room.

once the ACL is torn, it is torn, I am taking that right out of an article, it wouldn't have mattered either way, the physician, said that no further damage occured because of him playing

This could be true if you are talking about the ACL -- however, it certainly could hurt his arm, or MCL/PCL. I don't know how you roll the dice with that.

t's actually quite simple, the trainers the medical expert. Ned Yost isn't. If the Trainers say he's fine, why would Yost argue with them?

I don't think the trainers ever said he was "fine". He was obviously hurt, and something bad had happened. I think common sense dictates precaution in this case.

Ben Sheets missed a start as a precautionary measure -- why wouldn't you do the same with Yo here?

This was a dirty play and he should pay for it with a McClung fastball in the next series!

Why should some innocent bystander have to pay the price?

Seriously, the dirtiest thing I saw in the series was when Braun cleated Theriot at 2b.

He wasn't an innocent bystander. Sure he probably did mean to hurt him, but many people get hurt when someone decides to do something stupid. Reed Johnson had no chance of being safe and made a stupid move.

Who cares if he was trying to beat out a hit. He had no chance of being safe and was outside the baseline. It was a stupid play on his part and it resulted in an injury. A lot of "accidents" are avoidable if people wouldn't do stupid *%#@ like Reed Johnson did. I hope they do hit him a couple times in the next series.

I guess he should have, in real time, made the calculation you've made with the benefit of replay and pictures. Sorry its not in an athlete's nature just to give up on a play that's close nor should it be.

Stay classy again Chicago..... laughing at Yo tearing his ACL.
Yeah, I saw that.

I know the Cubs have had their share of pitcher injury issues, but I can't say my first reaction was ever "Hahahahahaha."

Not that its that much less classy, but I think the poster was laughing because Yost left Yo in the game after the injury. That said, that post was pretty classless.

I am disappointed to hear about the injury. I wanted both teams to battle it out at full strength. Looks like it won't happen now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif Why can't NL Central stud pitchers stay healthy. Sheets, Gallardo, Prior, Wood, Carpenter, Oswalt have all had their careers hindered by injuries.

Based on my limited knowledge of ACL's, if I'm not mistaken, if the pain just went away, it is a complete tear. I had a good friend tear his ACL in high school. Doctor told him it still would have hurt like crazy if it was a partial tear, but the pain subsides quickly, and temporarily, during a full tear.

Lincecum is going nowhere unless we do (insanely, imo) throw a Gamel/LaPorta package at them.

The Giants see where their bread is buttered and the fans out here eat him up with a spoon.

They had just talked about a Rios for Lincecum deal. The Giants got turned down.

I think you overestimate the value that Lincecum has, as considerable as it is, really has in the Giants eyes. I certainly do not think they'd require both LaPorta and Gamel back given their current value.

Matt Cain though would be the pitcher I'd focus on anyway. Cheaper, and less of a risk.

He wasn't an innocent bystander.

Yeah. I was trying to be funny, as in McClung's aim isn't that good, why should one of the ball boys/peanut vendors take a fastball to the melon when McClung throws at Johnson.

Honestly, as others have pointed out -- Yo took a bad angle. Somewhere there is a coach screaming "this is why we don't take this angle to 1b"

Community Moderator

Ouch.

It's unfortunate that some people are channeling their frustration into blame games. It's not going to heal his knee.

I had a teammate tear an ACL in a basketball game and he finished the game without any trouble, and discovered later in much the same way that it was torn.

This was a dirty play and he should pay for it with a McClung fastball in the next series!

Why should some innocent bystander have to pay the price?

Seriously, the dirtiest thing I saw in the series was when Braun cleated Theriot at 2b.

He wasn't an innocent bystander. Sure he probably did mean to hurt him, but many people get hurt when someone decides to do something stupid. Reed Johnson had no chance of being safe and made a stupid move.

Gallardo had no chance of being relevant in the play so why not blame him if you have to blame someone? I was watching the play and thinking %!# is Gallardo doing more than anything. It was an accident, it was a bunch of baseball players playing good hardnose baseball trying their hardest to make a play in a close game between division rivals. I don't blame anyone I just wish it hadn't happened.

There are plenty of reasons to rip on the Cubs, their fans and Ned...Yo's injury is not one of them It's just sad...very, very sad.

I thought this quote from Melvin said it all...

"The key is we never get Yovani and Ben together," a disappointed Melvin said.

Can we win the division...yes, but it's far less likely than 24 hours ago. If we do, our chances of advancing are far less with only one premium starter (assuming Sheets stays healthy). With Ben gone after this year, Parra and Villy need to emerge into 2/3 type starters or we'll need to make a move.

Inman? Talk to me when he does something at the major league level. Not saying he won't, but enough gnashing of teeth over this guy.

Exactly. The guy's a nice arm, but he's at beast a 4 in the future, and most likely a number 5. He's not the guy that we cry ourselves to sleep each night because we lost.

That maybe Matt LaPorta when he's hitting 4th for the Houston Astros in a couple years because we traded him for Roy Oswalt?

Ross, I think you're right. I can't think of one worse than this.

how about Brian Butch going down right before the tournament a couple seasons ago?

AA Will Inman is no Gallardo; he wouldn't have had the ability to step in and be our #2 pitcher. I think more of Jeffress than Inman, not that Jeffress should be brought up.

forget LaPorta, trade Hardy and call up Escobar!

This isn't a nice question given a guy is hurt, but if Gallardo missed the rest of the season, does this still count as a year of service time for him?

Nice? Yea, probably not a nice question, but it's one that most people are thinking.

Yes, it counts because he's still on the big league roster. DL time counts towards that as long as you went on the DL while you were in the big leagues. If Dave Bush went on the DL yesterday for instance, I don't believe that would count towards his service time.

That makes it hurt that much more.

It's unfortunate that some people are channeling their frustration into blame games.

Just to be clear, I am not at all blaming Yost for the torn ACL. I think the ACL was torn in the collision, and I don't think that much more damage was done to the ACL by continuing pitching.

I just am wondering out loud, how a manager sees that vicious collision and then lets Yo continue on. There are other things that could get hurt, and it's not as if the trainer does a very thorough diagnosis on the 1b line.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"Gallardo had no chance of being relevant in the play so why not blame him if you have to blame someone? I was watching the play and thinking %!# is Gallardo doing more than anything."

totally agree

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived