Brewer Fanatic

Who Watched Til The Last Out?

Being a Brewers fan always has required much. We've never had the spree-drunk loser-cachet patina of the Cubs. The imperial magesty of the Yankees. The righteous destiny of the Cards. We've had the hard-luck Slavic and stabbing yearning of Brewers fans, a yearning that was extant two generations before in the small-town hysteria for the Braves.

So here we are, having been lanced to the heart by the $170 million Cubs payroll, shamed again in the national spotlight.. One more Station of the Brewers Cross. This is part of the ride. This is why I watched until the last out.

(That, and the fact that I won a coin toss with the girlfriend so we'd watch "Top Chef" later, but this seems more principled.)

I kept it on 'til the end. It's the Brewers and I'm a die hard. Oh, I watched, too.

I had to watch the final appearance of Derrick Turnbow in the majors (until the Pirates sign him, that is).

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Community Moderator
I turned it on when it was 7-1 and left when it was 12-3. However, I did still keep up by checking the score on my phone, just to see if they were making a comeback. After that Astros game 2 years ago, it definitely is worth it to keep track of the game until the end.

Being a Brewers fan always has required much. We've never had the spree-drunk loser-cachet patina of the Cubs. The imperial magesty of the Yankees. The righteous destiny of the Cards. We've had the hard-luck Slavic and stabbing yearning of Brewers fans, a yearning that was extant two generations before in the small-town hysteria for the Braves.

Stein, you need to post more often.

I don't know, what idiot would watch a game that was 19-5 until the final painful out?

::Meekly raises hand::

Yup. I did. I hate Hockey, have no more than a passing interest in the NBA right now(I'll start paying attention, soon, but honestly I don't even know if there were any games on tonight).

I got home expecting to watch the game even though I knew the outcome. Turns out my TiVo recorded 4 1/2 hours of ESPN which mercifully saved me from watching today's embarrassment.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I got home expecting to watch the game even though I knew the outcome. Turns out my TiVo recorded 4 1/2 hours of ESPN which mercifully saved me from watching today's embarrassment.

so you were going to watch the game knowing the final score? i bow to your die hardness.

as for me--when the brewers scored their first run and the cubs answered right back I couldn't take anymore.

will turnbow be relased before game time today ? or will we wait until friday ? he has to go

There's no room for debate. The guy has to go. When you have to further tax a bullpen by removing a pitcher in a 14-run blowout, then even in a mop up role, the guy is hurting your team. And why did Yost even bother warming anybody up, much less bring someone in for him. If his arm falls off before he gets the 3rd out, who cares? We are looking at another second half meltdown if Yost continues using 5-6 pitchers a game. After Suppan the only pitchers that should have seen action were McClung and Turnbow. Yost simply has to be smarter in economizing the use of his bullpen. In a blowout like that you don't use 5 pitchers. What's the difference if he leaves TBlow in and he gives up 10 more runs? It still only counts as one loss.

It's already to the point that the team would be wise to diagnose a few guys with "tired arm" and rotate a few DL stints to get them 15 day rests. Scatter those throughout the year and alleviate the workload on these guys.

I watched until the last out. Granted I had a friend over so the game didn't have our undivided attention, but it was still on. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Verified Member
I was watching Gameday until the end. It was kind of like a car wreck, you can't turn away. It was actually entertaining watching Turnbow, waiting to see how bad it would good. And am I bad person for wanting Turnbow to do horribly in this situation, just for the ammunition to get rid of him?

And am I bad person for wanting Turnbow to do horribly in this situation, just for the ammunition to get rid of him?

No. I don't think so. This relationship just needs to end. I really like Tbow as a person, and I don't enjoy watching him get shelled. It will be pretty ugly is he ever gets the ball in MP again. He really needs a fresh start -- I'd like nothing more than to see him regain his form under a different set of coaches.

My wife was at teh game with 35 high schoolers as part of their senior class trip. Watched til the end hoping to catch a glimpse of them in the stands. Not real excited when she called after the game to say they had left after the 7th inning. I could have been spared the whole Turnbow melt-down.

I watched it...it was like the car crash that you just couldn't help but watch with utter sadness and disbelief. The part that made it easy was there was no stress after Soto's first homer. The game was over. I even tried to watch Brewers Live, but DirecTV cut it off 10 minutes in...it must have been some Extra Innings 10 run mercy rule.

Archived